table purchasing advice

northman

Registered
Hi all, new poster (and fairly new to the pool scene).

I will be looking to upgrade a pressboard 'n plastic table (is slate tho) in a few months, after we renovate our downstairs, so I have a bit of time. I see a lot of comments on the forums about Gold Crowns and Diamond Pros etc, but I don't think I can swing 7 grand or more for a new table. So what I am considering is maybe a Brunswick or Olhausen that is lower end but still made of solid wood, maybe a Brunswick Highlander or an Olhausen in the $2500 - 3000 range. Or I could look for a used table, (in the northwest, Seattle area in particular).

So what are the popular opinions about Brunswicks and Olhausens in about the $3000 range? Looks like Olhausen has a particleboard sheet under the slate, is that good or bad? Are the cushions better on one or the other? Anything else I should be looking for? Any hints on judging the competence of table installers/mechanics?

The table I currently have is an 8', if I am able to widen the room some (possible but will require relocating a structural wall) I could step up to a 9' table, but not sure about the feasibility of that yet.

Any comments?

northman

Registered
bump.

Come on, 70 replies for a girly cue stick, but no one wants to help me buy a table?

Did I not say please?

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
if you can handle a 9 footer, I will sell you mine for $3800 & send it to you. That also includes the light, hard cover & two hippotamus chairs.

Attachments

• my pool room J.JPG
    my pool room J.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 281

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CeeBee, that is a great deal especially if you are going to pay for transport. My advice is to not be afraid of the used gold crowns that you see out ther for under 3k. they are built to last. If you gotta have new then you have to decide if you want a pretty pece of furniture to play pool on or not. in the $zone you mention,I think any of the top names will have excellently playable tables compared to what you are leaving behind. good luck.

Purdman

Banned
Buying a table

I purchased a used Gandy Big G from a local pool hall for $1,875 including the move and set up. I kicked in another $200 for Simonis 860.
Another idea: I live where there are a lot of militaty personel. They move quite a bit. I have heard some people have gone to the moving and storage companys asking for a heads up on any tables that people don't want to ship 2000 miles due to the cost. I have heard about some great deals. You can usually purchase tables after the big tournaments also. Last but not least, I think I would try and check out CeeBee's table, light, and chairs.
I hope this helps.
Purdman

KingCarom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Northman,

Here in Seattle there are quite a few good deals on used tables.

First and foremost, keep an eye on the sporting good section of Craigslist.
http://seattle.craigslist.org/

I see a new table or two almost every day in there. There are a few Brunswick's & Olhausen'sfor sale right now, check it out.

For 3k, you can get a very nice or almost new-used Brunswick, which is what I would go with. I have a brunswick Centurion and love it because I like the commercial/Competition style tables. I dont need any more furniture...

Feel free to PM me to chat more, I know a bunch of folks in this town that could help.

northman

Registered
ceebee said:
if you can handle a 9 footer, I will sell you mine for $3800 & send it to you. That also includes the light, hard cover & two hippotamus chairs.

Not sure if I can do 9' yet, will require moving a wall 3'. So I may be stuck with an 8 footer, which the room is a little tight with right now.

northman

Registered
KingCarom said:
Northman,

Here in Seattle there are quite a few good deals on used tables.

First and foremost, keep an eye on the sporting good section of Craigslist.
http://seattle.craigslist.org/

I see a new table or two almost every day in there. There are a few Brunswick's & Olhausen'sfor sale right now, check it out.

I had actually been looking at Craig's list, but I would type in pool table at the main page and get no hits. Actually looking through the sporting goods I do see a couple, though, weird.

I'm not quite ready to pull the trigger yet, need to tear the downstairs apart & refinish, so it might be a little while. But if a too good to be true type deal came along I would jump on it and just store the table till I could use it.

KingCarom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you click on the For Sale title, then search on pool tables you will get a bunch of hits.

I am in the same boat as you. just bought a house in Woodinville, refinishing my pool room to be. Brunswick is on storage in 50 pieces :(

Soon.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
a beautiful table

I really love my Pool Table. It is much too fine a table to do what I do on it everyday. That table is my research table for the BreakRAK. I want to sell it, or trade it for a Bar Box. I need a table to work on...!

That table used to belong to a movie star in L.A. The table has a GRANITE BED, which is much more expensive than slate.

NOTE: every surface table used for precision measuring, throughout industry, all over the world, is made from GRANITE, not slate.

The picture is a month old.