Stinger vs. Sledgehammer

Shorty

A banger at best...
Silver Member
Hi Jennifer!

I have a quick question about your Stinger break cue. I am considering purchasing one of these and would like to see how it compares to a Sledgehammer. Have you ever broken with a Sledgehammer first off? How do you compare the two? Which do you like better? I assume the Stinger since that is your current break cue according to them.

I currently have a Sledgehammer and I like it for the most part. The ticky sound on the break kind of bothers me, but getting past that, I hit the balls a lot more solid with the Sledgehammer than my other break cue, a Players j/b.

Anyway just want your input and recommendation.

Thanks Jenn!
Shorty

StormHotRod300

BigSexy
Silver Member
Shorty

Hey curious question? Did you have the tip on your sledgehammer flatten'd at all? I tried to break with a sledgehammer and the tip was so round that i kept on miscue'd ! Now with my old Viking i had a Phenolic ferrule/tip combo on it and the tip was very flat, and i rarely miscue'd. thats all

Dave

Shorty

A banger at best...
Silver Member
I sure did HotRod, I had mine flattened to less than a nickel and it breaks MUCH MUCH MUCH better. I am just not happy with the weight or the clicky sound when I break. I hit em good...just...always tweaking with my break.

Shorty

Shorty said:
I sure did HotRod, I had mine flattened to less than a nickel and it breaks MUCH MUCH MUCH better. I am just not happy with the weight or the clicky sound when I break. I hit em good...just...always tweaking with my break.

Shorty

The weight can be easily changed with the correct wrench from Home Depot.
If you want it lighter, just take a hacksaw to the current weight bolt and saw it off to the desired weight and put it back in. If you want it heavier, call Mike and get a heavier bolt.

As far as the sound may I suggest cotton or earmuffs. :p :D

Shorty

A banger at best...
Silver Member
Actually I cut off my hearing aides when I play...I don't like the sounds around me and I fall into the zone easier.

Shorty

Shorty said:
Actually I cut off my hearing aides when I play...I don't like the sounds around me and I fall into the zone easier.

Shorty

Surrounding sounds can be irritating and cause disruption, especially on those given days when you can't seem to muster clarity of focus to begin with and get easily distracted, but I would think that the auditory feedback you get from the tip making contact on the CB ball would lend itself to "feel" and the "hit". Not to mention the addictive sound of balls cracking together and hitting the back of the pocket.

Shorty

A banger at best...
Silver Member
drivermaker said:
Surrounding sounds can be irritating and cause disruption, especially on those given days when you can't seem to muster clarity of focus to begin with and get easily distracted, but I would think that the auditory feedback you get from the tip making contact on the CB ball would lend itself to "feel" and the "hit". Not to mention the addictive sound of balls cracking together and hitting the back of the pocket.

I been playing since I was 11, I don't need sound to get the feel...although I am not as good as I should be, from lack of practice...I still play pretty sporty for old Shorty.

Care to donate to my favorite charity with some one pocket action with me?

Shorty

Shorty said:
Care to donate to my favorite charity with some one pocket action with me?

Shorty

Only if you first send a healthy sized check along with all of your earthly belongings to the Drivermaker Memorial Beer Fund.

S

spartan

there will be a predator bk2 that will be released in august. just a suggestion. i prefer a mace over a stinger or sledgehammer.

scottycoyote

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i must be missing something......if you cut the hearing aids off, how do you hear the ticking sound when you break? or are you feeling the tick in the cue?

greenkill

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
He can do a beethoven and put his ear on the table and listen to vibrations.

Shorty

A banger at best...
Silver Member
scottycoyote said:
i must be missing something......if you cut the hearing aids off, how do you hear the ticking sound when you break? or are you feeling the tick in the cue?

Yes, I can still hear the tick with my hearing aides cut off...when they are cut off sounds are just muffled, not totally like ear plugs, but I can hear and feel the tickiness...its like two balls colliding sound...not like a firm THUMP when a leather tip smacks the cue.

Shorty

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
drivermaker said:
... Drivermaker Memorial Beer Fund.

Something happening in the near future that we should be aware of ?

"Take care out there"

Dave

Jersey

Clickin' & Clackin'
Silver Member
Stinger

Hey Shorty...

I'd go Stinger...I just bought one from Tom, and love it...I have broken with the SH, PredBK and a Fury...I like the action I get with the Stinger...very little effort gives you awesome results...I thought the Pred and the SH were on the heavy side...and not very attractive...not that something as utilitarian as a BRK cue needs to be pretty...but the Stinger is weighted well, the fit and finish are perfect and it's a good looking cue...all my teamates want it...people think it's a SP...I'm very happy with it...

my 2c-

ROLL'EM JEN~

S

spartan

i own a sledgehammer and while it breaks very well, its harder to control the cueball with the phonelic ferrule/tip combo. i think you should get a cue used to breaking and a cue used for jumping. mezz just came with a new jump cue the airshooter.

JennBarretta

Pro Player
I've never used the Sledgehammer, but I used to have a Predator BK. I love the way the Stinger breaks, but I really love how easily the jump cue works. I also like how much lighter my case is with one less cue in it.

By the way, the Stinger website is: www.jumpbreak.com

Jenn

the scorpion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I live in scotland so I ordered a stinger b/j cue off of the net and it came yesterday it only cost 45 pounds thats $84 U.S and if you are interested the website I bought it off was 9 ball pool.co.uk

Tom Simpson

Beat People With a Stick!
Hello, Tom Simpson here. My company (National Billiard Academy) is responsible for the marketing & distribution of the Stinger JumpBreak cue. The "Stinger" from the UK mentioned earlier in this thread is NOT the same product. Last year, when we settled on Stinger as the name, there did not seem to be any other cues using that name. We're looking into it.

Meanwhile, I wanted to set this straight before even more people become confused (or disappointed) by it. Our Stinger is made in the US with top quality materials & construction, and is the only jumpbreak in the world that can use our patented Stinger technology. We believe it is the greatest jumpbreak cue on the market today, and we are taking steps to resolve this unfortunate product name issue.

Tom Simpson
www.JumpBreak.com

poolbiz420

Inked Up!
Silver Member
I use to own a Sledgehammer myself, now I have a pretty big break and i could not keep control of the CB. I saw the cue's on Toms website so i bought one and wow what a difference in control!! Everyone is impressed in the pool room with it.