Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Has anyone ever tried this?
Page 1 of 5 1 23 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Has anyone ever tried this?
Old
  (#1)
mnShooter
AzB Silver Member
mnShooter has a reputation beyond reputemnShooter has a reputation beyond reputemnShooter has a reputation beyond reputemnShooter has a reputation beyond reputemnShooter has a reputation beyond reputemnShooter has a reputation beyond reputemnShooter has a reputation beyond reputemnShooter has a reputation beyond reputemnShooter has a reputation beyond reputemnShooter has a reputation beyond reputemnShooter has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1820

Has anyone ever tried this? - 04-15-2005, 08:57 AM

I was working on my english yesterday. Playing with the bridge pivot point. Essentially line up center ball and then pivot on your bridge hand to apply english. I realized something really cool. For slower shots I use a longer bridge ~10" and for faster shots I would use a shorter bridge ~6". I was making almost everything on a 9' Table with pretty tight pockets. I suggest trying it out.

Old
  (#2)
drivermaker
Banned
drivermaker is on a distinguished road

vCash: 500

04-15-2005, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnShooter
I was working on my english yesterday. Playing with the bridge pivot point. Essentially line up center ball and then pivot on your bridge hand to apply english. I realized something really cool. For slower shots I use a longer bridge ~10" and for faster shots I would use a shorter bridge ~6". I was making almost everything on a 9' Table with pretty tight pockets. I suggest trying it out.

What happens if you're using a Predator?

(guess that vision problem worked it's way out, huh? Those things usually do when you try playing the game completely sober.)

Old
  (#3)
Barbara
Wilson deleted my avatar
Barbara has a reputation beyond reputeBarbara has a reputation beyond reputeBarbara has a reputation beyond reputeBarbara has a reputation beyond reputeBarbara has a reputation beyond reputeBarbara has a reputation beyond reputeBarbara has a reputation beyond reputeBarbara has a reputation beyond reputeBarbara has a reputation beyond reputeBarbara has a reputation beyond reputeBarbara has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1125

04-15-2005, 09:29 AM

Quote:
What? Backhand english? No! Never!

Barbara

Old
  (#4)
vapoolplayer
AzB Silver Member
vapoolplayer has a reputation beyond reputevapoolplayer has a reputation beyond reputevapoolplayer has a reputation beyond reputevapoolplayer has a reputation beyond reputevapoolplayer has a reputation beyond reputevapoolplayer has a reputation beyond reputevapoolplayer has a reputation beyond reputevapoolplayer has a reputation beyond reputevapoolplayer has a reputation beyond reputevapoolplayer has a reputation beyond reputevapoolplayer has a reputation beyond repute

04-15-2005, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara
What? Backhand english? No! Never!

Barbara

SHHHHHHH!!!! don't say the word's backhand english............you're venturing into the world of mystery here on AZB...........here we go with the flamers

VAP

Old
  (#5)
Zims Rack
Promoting the Cueing Arts
Zims Rack has a reputation beyond reputeZims Rack has a reputation beyond reputeZims Rack has a reputation beyond reputeZims Rack has a reputation beyond reputeZims Rack has a reputation beyond reputeZims Rack has a reputation beyond reputeZims Rack has a reputation beyond reputeZims Rack has a reputation beyond reputeZims Rack has a reputation beyond reputeZims Rack has a reputation beyond reputeZims Rack has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1100

04-15-2005, 09:48 AM

I've just started hearing "backhand english", care to explain exactly what you mean? Some people have different names for the same thing.

Thanks,
Zim

Michael Zimmerman, aka: Zim
Zim's Rack
Zimmerman Custom Cues
Certified Instructor
Zim's Rack 8-Ball League

618-409-4175
www.zimsrack.com

facebook.com/zimsrack

Old
  (#6)
Troy
AzB Silver Member
Troy has a reputation beyond reputeTroy has a reputation beyond reputeTroy has a reputation beyond reputeTroy has a reputation beyond reputeTroy has a reputation beyond reputeTroy has a reputation beyond reputeTroy has a reputation beyond reputeTroy has a reputation beyond reputeTroy has a reputation beyond reputeTroy has a reputation beyond reputeTroy has a reputation beyond repute

04-15-2005, 10:14 AM

I don't find any mystery to Backhand English.
Aim your shot through the center of the cue ball, then pivot the back hand to obtain the desired amount of side spin (english) while keeping your bridge hand stable.

Troy

Old
  (#7)
vapoolplayer
AzB Silver Member
vapoolplayer has a reputation beyond reputevapoolplayer has a reputation beyond reputevapoolplayer has a reputation beyond reputevapoolplayer has a reputation beyond reputevapoolplayer has a reputation beyond reputevapoolplayer has a reputation beyond reputevapoolplayer has a reputation beyond reputevapoolplayer has a reputation beyond reputevapoolplayer has a reputation beyond reputevapoolplayer has a reputation beyond reputevapoolplayer has a reputation beyond repute

04-15-2005, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy
Aim your shot through the center of the cue ball, then pivot the back hand to obtain the desired amount of side spin (english) while keeping your bridge hand stable.

Troy
i was referring to the "other" things that are associated with backhand english.

VAP

Old
  (#8)
drivermaker
Banned

04-15-2005, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy

Troy

And what is it called when you aim center ball and swipe your shooting hand slightly to the side when you start your forward stroke to strike the CB?

And what is it called when you place the tip of the cue off center of the CB and then pivot back to the center without moving your bridge hand?

Old
  (#9)
vapoolplayer
AzB Silver Member

04-15-2005, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivermaker
And what is it called when you aim center ball and swipe your shooting hand slightly to the side when you start your forward stroke to strike the CB?

And what is it called when you place the tip of the cue off center of the CB and then pivot back to the center without moving your bridge hand?
the above is what i'm talking about............LET THE WAR BEGIN...........LOL

VAP

Old
  (#10)
drivermaker
Banned

04-15-2005, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapoolplayer
SHHHHHHH!!!! don't say the word's backhand english............you're venturing into the world of mystery here on AZB...........here we go with the flamers

VAP

Not so much to the flamers, but to the physics geeks and certified instructors that feel you should only shoot on parallel lines. Ooops, sorry I corrected you....you were right in using "flamers". Sometimes there's another word that follows it though, as in flaming...........

Old
  (#11)
Hal
Beer Player
Hal has a reputation beyond reputeHal has a reputation beyond reputeHal has a reputation beyond reputeHal has a reputation beyond reputeHal has a reputation beyond reputeHal has a reputation beyond reputeHal has a reputation beyond reputeHal has a reputation beyond reputeHal has a reputation beyond reputeHal has a reputation beyond reputeHal has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1900

04-15-2005, 12:13 PM

My wife BACK HANDED me the other day when I told her how much money I lost...

Old
  (#12)
MFB
Just a User
MFB has a reputation beyond reputeMFB has a reputation beyond reputeMFB has a reputation beyond reputeMFB has a reputation beyond reputeMFB has a reputation beyond reputeMFB has a reputation beyond reputeMFB has a reputation beyond reputeMFB has a reputation beyond reputeMFB has a reputation beyond reputeMFB has a reputation beyond reputeMFB has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25

04-15-2005, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vonn31
My wife BACK HANDED me the other day when I told her how much money I lost...
That's your own fault. Don't tell her. Ha-ha.

Course don't tell her when you win either.

I refer that as my rathole money. Buried deep in my wallet.

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

Winston Churchill

Name: Mark
Cue: Foster, Gulyassy Orange Crusher
Hours of pool: 10-15
Games of choice: Barbox 8-ball

www.favoritesonspice.com

Old
  (#13)
mnShooter
AzB Silver Member
mnShooter has a reputation beyond reputemnShooter has a reputation beyond reputemnShooter has a reputation beyond reputemnShooter has a reputation beyond reputemnShooter has a reputation beyond reputemnShooter has a reputation beyond reputemnShooter has a reputation beyond reputemnShooter has a reputation beyond reputemnShooter has a reputation beyond reputemnShooter has a reputation beyond reputemnShooter has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1820

04-15-2005, 12:38 PM

I've tried parallel english and it doesn't work at all. I always overcut when using inside english. I don't have a predator shaft, just a regular Joss. BTW I thought backhand english was when you pivot during the actual stroke. I am talking about pivoting when lining up the shot.

Old
  (#14)
Troy
AzB Silver Member
Troy has a reputation beyond reputeTroy has a reputation beyond reputeTroy has a reputation beyond reputeTroy has a reputation beyond reputeTroy has a reputation beyond reputeTroy has a reputation beyond reputeTroy has a reputation beyond reputeTroy has a reputation beyond reputeTroy has a reputation beyond reputeTroy has a reputation beyond reputeTroy has a reputation beyond repute

04-15-2005, 01:44 PM

The terminology gets confusing when different people use the same term for different things.

I learned that backhand english is when you pivot after aiming.

Pivoting during the stroke is sometimes called "swiping". No matter what it's called, I think it's difficult to master since the amount of side spin is effectively done "on the fly".

Aim and pivoting back to center is another completely different animal.

Parallel aiming / side spin requires compensation for deflection / squirt which is dependent on the specific shaft and it's pivot point.

Troy
Quote:
I've tried parallel english and it doesn't work at all. I always overcut when using inside english. I don't have a predator shaft, just a regular Joss. BTW I thought backhand english was when you pivot during the actual stroke. I am talking about pivoting when lining up the shot.

Last edited by Troy; 04-15-2005 at 01:48 PM.

Old
  (#15)
drivermaker
Banned

04-15-2005, 01:59 PM

Quote:
BTW I thought backhand english was when you pivot during the actual stroke. I am talking about pivoting when lining up the shot.

Would the final outcome of the tip striking the ball in the same spot not be the same?

Page 1 of 5 1 23 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: