Video Contest (22): Can You Run Out This Rack of 9-Ball?

What's on your mind when you see a layout like this?

• I have a good run out plan and I will do it accordingly...

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • I will make plans while attempting a run out here; play a safety when in trouble...

Votes: 11 52.4%
  • The shot is too risky. I will play safeties until I have a good chance to win...

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Something else (please explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

cuetable

Line Up Your Best Shot!
Silver Member
CueTable 9-Ball Video Contest 2009.05

Can You Run Out This Rack of 9-Ball?

CueTable Help

Take this great opportunity to challenge yourself against a situation which the pros would face and run out in tournaments. Study the layout carefully and get the camera ready now. :lightbulb:

Good luck to everyone and many good rolls! :heart: :rolleyes: :9b:

Contest Rules
  • Videotape yourself win this game in 5 minutes.
  • Upload your video to YouTube, FaceBook or MySpace
  • Enter "CueTable Billiard Contest 2009.05" in the video title and tags, and "http://contest.cuetable.com" in the video description.
  • Sign in to the official contest page and post your video URL address, along with a brief analysis of your run out.
  • The contest ends on 06.01.2009 - At the time you will see a video of a pro player playing this layout on TV.
Prizes
  • The first FIVE participants who upload run-out videos here will win a CueTable Polo Shirt.
  • The prizes are for people who have not won before. In any case, formal winners are encouraged to submit videos and enjoy together!

Tips
  • Print out the layout (CueTable printing help)
  • Set you camera on a tripod from a high angle so the video can cover the table.
  • Please discuss your plans and any foreseeable difficult challenges.
  • Even if you don't have a completed run, please post your videos in our Ask Instructor forum. There are 23 professional instructors who'd love to share their insights with you.
  • If you have comments or suggestions for any videos you see here, please feel free to share.
  • If you have already seen the video for the layout before, please don't spoil it so others can enjoy it later.
  • If you can't see the large size CueTable layout above, please download Adobe Shockwave Player
  • To learn how to create your own diagrams, please check CueTable Demo Video

Past Contests

*If you are on facebook or myspace, please use the "SHARE THIS" button below to forward this to all your pool friends!

cuetable

Line Up Your Best Shot!
Silver Member
Let's discuss all the options here and support your ideas with videos from your digital camera... :)

Solartje

the Brunswick BUG bit me
Silver Member
now we are talking wei :)

This looks like a very hard runout.
I'd say i would have around 5% chance to run it.

First idea would be to make a stun 2rail position shot for the 3 to leave the cb where it is now. But i think the 6 is on the way. Will be hard to get it right in between the 9-6 and the right pace.

Second option, would be to play it with less stun, and make it a 4 railer. Anyway, you want to have the cb back to where it is now.

Then you can pot the 3 in the down middle pocket, cb straight to the short rail, and spin it to the side, and hopfulle close to straight on the 4.

Depending on the position on the 4, i would draw the 7-8 open or leave the 7-8 combo.

2 keyshots here: position from 2 to the 3, and from the 3 to the 4.

Ill give it a try tomorow. its 11pm, cant wake up my neighbours.

Solartje

the Brunswick BUG bit me
Silver Member
I'll get this party started.

First runout. Didnt work out like i planned, but i run it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iudlYV1vj10

This is how i WANTED to run it. get the cb after the 3 to the rail first and kick the 7 out of there, and leave cb where the 7 is. I did miss a fair easy bank on the 8 wich runed the run, but i still prefere this runout.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAm-6H7J5Xg

Comments on the runout:

I tried spinning the cb in between the 9-6 for same position as the cb is at the beginning. Didnt work out well. I bumped several times into the 6 and gave up. Also the slow speed, the lots of outside english makes the pot on the 2 even harder. I gave up that way

I tried running 4 rails with some folowing english, and even if that often worked, i often ended with a much to big angle to able to stun 3 in the down corner, and spin it from the short rail, in between the 7 and the 4. I gave up that too.

Easyest way, was to just slowly role the 2 in like in both video's. This leaves the PERFECT angle each and everytime for a stun shot on the 3 to the upper right corner. You can either bump the 4 (not my favorit shot), you can either hold the cb in between the 7 and 4 (hard to get the speed right), or
and this is in my opinion the best option. get the cb to the rail first , and kick the 7 towards the middle hitting the 7 full face, so the cb replaces the 7ball. Garanteed a runout.

Once i saw that slowroling the cb in, would give an ideal angle for the 7-4 region, the runout was ALOT easyer... I just never thought of this when starting the rack. Reminds me, that i dont take enough time to find a good solution and that i still need alot of table managment practice to SEE the easyest runout.

:thumbup:

mamono

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Couldn't you post your vids on cuetable or posting here is good enough?

Solartje

the Brunswick BUG bit me
Silver Member
i did post it on cuetable; but as im not in the running for a price it doesnt matter. Just wanted to get this runout started :thumbup:

Solartje

the Brunswick BUG bit me
Silver Member
Solarjte nice runs man. Oh and beautiful table.

:thumbup:

yup thats my little baby. It still isnt perfect. Need to extend the subrails and get those pocket tighter. as you can see in the first video, the pockets accept alot of balls. Creates bad habits.

thanks for the nice words

cuetable

Line Up Your Best Shot!
Silver Member
Winner Announcement 06.01.2009

Winner Announcement 06.01.2009

Video Origin
This contest layout was drawn from a game in 2007 Mosconi Cup - Day 4 - Shane Van Boening vs Konstantin Stepanov. In this game Shane has displayed an deadly shotmaking accuracy during this aggressively run out. Just like what commentator Jerry Forsyth said in the video, "you win a big game with a big shot!"....

http://talk.cuetable.com/showthread.php?p=6218

trophyicon.gif
Videos by Past Winners
afittsch, Solartje, billardberlin, Fast Lenny, burfodus

Congratulations to our winners for completing this tough layout. If you like the contest, please study the videos, try the layout yourself to compare, show it to friends, share comments and let us know how we can make it even more fun for every one. Our goal is to help people improve their skills and play better.

Thanks to everyone for participating, please get your camera ready for our June contest later this week :)