SJM at the BCA Pro Events

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I'm starting this thread so that I can share my experiences at the BCA pro events over the next eight days.

Though I may check in on the efforts of my friends from time to time at the bar table events, I won't be covering them, and request that questions about the bar table events be omitted from this thread.

I arrived at the Riviera yesterday afternoon, lined up for an eterninty to check in, went to my room and unpacked, played a little poker (lost $97), and then, after watching a little TV, I went to sleep at the remarkable hour of 7:30 PM, not having watched any pool. Having risen at 4:00 AM to make a 7:00 AM flight out of JFK, I'd had a long day Friday and felt that a long sleep was what I'd need to prepare for eight days of sweating matches. And, sure enough, I slept nearly 12 hours, and I feel a lot more energetic today.

If you're here and you'd like to see or meet me, just send me a PM and we'll arrange a hookup. Also, if you're here, I always buy extra tickets to the pro events and have several extra tickets this year, so if you're interested in attending a session of the Predator 10-ball event as my guest, let me know in person or by PM and I'll consider inviting you.

OK, today is the day I'll catch a stroke sweating the matches. That's all for now.

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
sjm,
Once again you make me feel like I'm missing all of the fun.

I'll be arriving Monday afternoon, and do not begin play in the team event until Wednesday afternoon. A professional friend has said I can use their admission pass, so I expect to watch a LOT of pool Monday and Tuesday (want to play a bit as well to warm up for the event).

Maybe we should try to have a nice breakfast at the Peppermill on Tuesday and/or Wednesday....you never know who might show up for free food. My wife will be along for the ride, so we might have little kids to endure, but maybe not (we plan on doing NOTHING together until after I am eliminated from the tournament, then we'll spend the next week doing Vegas).

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
sjm,

I'll be arriving Monday afternoon, and do not begin play in the team event until Wednesday afternoon. A professional friend has said I can use their admission pass, so I expect to watch a LOT of pool Monday and Tuesday (want to play a bit as well to warm up for the event).

Maybe we should try to have a nice breakfast at the Peppermill on Tuesday and/or Wednesday....you never know who might show up for free food. My wife will be along for the ride, so we might have little kids to endure, but maybe not (we plan on doing NOTHING together until after I am eliminated from the tournament, then we'll spend the next week doing Vegas).

Yeah, Willie, you are missing all the fun, but you'll be here soon.

We'll definitely hook up for some meals, and if there are little kids present, that's no problem, as we each have shown ourselves capable of dropping down to their level.

Tell Mrs. Betmore that I'm looking forward to seeing her, too. Also, check your PMs.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I still haven't seen a ball hit, but at least my breakfast was spent with some pool diehards.

We were all delighted to see an article in the Las Vegas Review Journal, the local paper, about Shane Van Boening. The article took up nearly half a page and contained a huge picutre of Shane, the kind of coverage no pool player could ever get in my home own of New York City. Interestingly, in the article, Shane was quoted as noting that beating, and getting some very positive feedback from, Danny Harriman, a few years ago, was when he started to really believe in himself. e also noted that he doesn't want to be thought of as a deaf champion, just as a champion. It was a wonderful article about a great player who appreciates what he has, and won't let himself be dragged down by what he doesn't have.

Also, the chat over breakfast covered the upset of Van DenBerg over Pagulayan. In view of VanDenBerg's sterling play at the European 9-ball Championships just a couple of weeks ago, I suggested that this barely qualified as an upset.

OK, I've got two hours to kill before the World Pool Masters kicks off again. Catch you later.

Last edited:

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Now I am subscribed to this thread. :thumbup:

Now I can wait for SJM to send in all of those great posts so that I can live through him vicariously, at least for this week.

As to Shane Van Boening, I don't think he has to be concerned about people thinking of him as a deaf champion. When I think of Shane, I think about his tenacity, his gamble, his talent and his break.

The hearing impediment is of no more importance to me than the man in the moon.

That is the special thing about poolroom: It accepts all of us just as we are. The poolroom is a melting pot and a meeting place for pool afficianados to gather and share in this great sport. It holds no prejudices and has no boundaries of race, religion, culture or geography. When you walk through the poolroom doors, the only characteristic that is carefully measured is how you play the game and that is what everyone looks at and what everyone respects.

Shane is climbing the totem pole of success in the pool world and gaining respect wherever he goes and that is what matters to the people he shares this great sport with.

Keep those fingers limber and busy. We'll be watching this thread carefully.

THANKS!
JoeyA

Roy Steffensen

locksmith
Silver Member
Enjoy yourself, both SJM and Williebetmore! Hope to read updates from both of you!

SJM, please say hi to Roberto Gomez from me if you get a chance to meet him.

I agree with you about the "upset" in the Pagulayan - van den Berg match. Nick is playing super solid and I wouldn't be surprised if he wins the whole tournament.

Keep posting!

Melissa Herndon

Pro Player
Silver Member
Hi Stu! I'm so happy to hear that you are here in Vegas! I am working the WPBA booth in the main tournament room, so please come say hi. And if you are interested, I'd love to hook up with you for breakfast one day! Actually, that Peppermill breakfast with you and Williebetmore sounds like a great way to start a day!!!!

Enjoy your time here!

Melissa

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
....We were all delighted to see an article in the Las Vegas Review Journal, the local paper, about Shane Van Boening. The article took up nearly half a page and contained a huge picutre of Shane, the kind of coverage no pool player could ever get in my home own of New York City. Interestingly, in the article, Shane was quoted as noting that beating, and getting some very positive feedback from, Danny Harriman, a few years ago, was when he started to really believe in himself...

I read the article this morning online, entitled "The Sounds of Silence."

It was well written. For those who would like to see it, here's the link: http://www.lvrj.com/sports/44634207.html [Retrieved 9 May 2009]

Here's the picture below along with the caption: Shane Van Boening, 25, is the No. 1-ranked pool player in the world, according to AZBilliards.com. Van Boening, who is 97 percent deaf, is competing in the PartyPoker.net World Pool Masters at the Riviera.
Special to the Review-Journal

Attachments

• 3547607[1].jpg
    3547607[1].jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 607

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
How do you kill 33 minutes? Here's the remarkable answer.

Went down to the World Pool Masters to watch Tony Drago vs Niels Feijen, my first ever live look at Drago. Pleased to report that I sweated the match with my good friend and renowned AZB poster Bob Jewett.

Race to eight.

Niels made a superfine cut on a seven ball in rack one to gain a 1-0 advantage, but a poor push in rack two and a poor safety in rack three were costly, and gave Tony two easy ones, so Tony led 2-1. Niels had a bad miss on a three ball in the next rack, which led to a 3-1 lead for Drago.

Tony missed a long two ball in rack five, but Niels hooked himself on the three, and sold out on the kick, so Tony led 4-1. Illegal break by Tony (the rule in use is that you must send three balls past the headstring, with balls pocketed counting as having passed the headstirng) gave Niels an opening, but Niels made another postion error and a safety battle ensued. Safety battle was won by Drago, and the runout gave him a 5-1 lead. Break and run by Drago made it 6-1. Tony scratched on the next break, but Niels failed to get out, overcutting a long shot on the eight, so it was 7-1 Drago.

Geez, eight racks in 25 minutes! Drago shot, more or less, at Luc Salvas speed. In rack nine, Niels missed the two ball, but Tony missed a long, tough, three ball, and Niels ran out for 7-2.

Niels scratched on the next break, but Drago had a somewhat unlucky scratch on the three ball, giving Niels new life, and he combos in the five-nine for 7-3 behind.

In rack eleven, Niels has a bad miss on a five ball. Tony makes it, and misses a long two-way bank of the six ball, leading to a safety battle. Eventually, Tony earns this difficult look at the table:

CueTable Help

Eureka, he hit it like a charm, leading to the match ending runout for an 8-3 victory. Late addition: the six was a bit straighter than my diagram suggests, but I can't be bothered to redo it.

My impression of Drago is that he runs the table just about as well as anyone on the planet, but I see a few weaknesses in his tactics and his speed control could be slightly better. A magnificent player for sure, but my guess is that he has to play even better than this to snap off the event.

As for Niels, he just had an off match, and really never got going. It happens, even to the very best, and Feijen is certainly one of them.

....... and that's how you kill thirty three minutes!

Last edited:

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
Hi Stu! I'm so happy to hear that you are here in Vegas! I am working the WPBA booth in the main tournament room, so please come say hi. And if you are interested, I'd love to hook up with you for breakfast one day! Actually, that Peppermill breakfast with you and Williebetmore sounds like a great way to start a day!!!!

Enjoy your time here!

Melissa

Melissa and Stu,
Well, I have no idea what happens when (I'm not even in town yet, and will be travelling with one of the pro players and extended family); so to avoid complication, why don't we just meet at the Peppermill at 9 A.M. Tuesday?? Stragglers can fend for themselves; but it is usually a leisurely affair.

Breakfast is on me; but be forewarned that there is sometimes a loud and large contingent of pool fanatics, spouses, and kid (singular) at the usual "Betmore Breakfast."

Can't wait.

vagabond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sjm,

I'll be arriving Monday afternoon, and do not begin play in the team event until Wednesday afternoon.

If you can text me the number of the table you will be playing

I can come and watch your match.

juegabillar

Private Citizen
Silver Member
How do you kill 33 minutes? Here's the remarkable answer.

Went down to the World Pool Masters to watch Tony Drago vs Niels Feijen, my first ever live look at Drago. Pleased to report that I sweated the match with my good friend and renowned AZB poster Bob Jewett.

Race to eight.

Niels made a superfine cut on a seven ball in rack one to gain a 1-0 advantage, but a poor push in rack two and a poor safety in rack three were costly, and gave Tony two easy ones, so Tony led 2-1. Niels had a bad miss on a three ball in the next rack, which led to a 3-1 lead for Drago.

Tony missed a long two ball in rack five, but Niels hooked himself on the three, and sold out on the kick, so Tony led 4-1. Illegal break by Tony (the rule in use is that you must send three balls past the headstring, with balls pocketed counting as having passed the headstirng) gave Niels an opening, but Niels made another postion error and a safety battle ensued. Safety battle was won by Drago, and the runout gave him a 5-1 lead. Break and run by Drago made it 6-1. Tony scratched on the next break, but Niels failed to get out, overcutting a long shot on the eight, so it was 7-1 Drago.

Geez, eight racks in 25 minutes! Drago shot, more or less, at Luc Salvas speed. In rack nine, Niels missed the two ball, but Tony missed a long, tough, three ball, and Niels ran out for 7-2.

Niels scratched on the next break, but Drago had a somewhat unlucky scratch on the three ball, giving Niels new life, and he combos in the five-nine for 7-3 behind.

In rack eleven, Niels has a bad miss on a five ball. Tony makes it, and misses a long two-way bank of the six ball, leading to a safety battle. Eventually, Tony earns this difficult look at the table:

CueTable Help

Eureka, he hit it like a charm, leading to the match ending runout for an 8-3 victory. Late addition: the six was a bit straighter than my diagram suggests, but I can't be bothered to redo it.

My impression of Drago is that he runs the table just about as well as anyone on the planet, but I see a few weaknesses in his tactics and his speed control could be slightly better. A magnificent player for sure, but my guess is that he has to play even better than this to snap off the event.

As for Niels, he just had an off match, and really never got going. It happens, even to the very best, and Feijen is certainly one of them.

....... and that's how you kill thirty three minutes!

I had similar thoughts about Tony Drago's play when I was there last year for the Predator 10-Ball. Did he prove me wrong.!!!

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
In the evening session of the World Pool Masters, the match I chose to cover was Mika Immonen vs Fu Jian Bo.

In rack one, Mika made a ball on the break, but had to play safe, and played it well. Fine two rail kick by Fu left tough 6-1 combo, but Mika was up to it, and moments later he hit a tricky 2-9 combo well to win rack for a 1-0 lead.

In rack two, Mika made a ball on the break, but faced this:

CueTable Help

Wow, what a shot! Look at the position he played with outside draw to get form the one to the two. This set up his runout and he led 2-0.

In rack three, a good break earned Mika a good look at the table, and moments later he made an easy 3-9 combo for a 3-0 lead.

In rack four, Mika made a ball but was snookered from the one. He pushed out and Fu, wisely in my opinion, gave it back. Mika hit the kick safe accurately but just barely too softly, leaving Fu a bank shot, which Fu hit well. The runout chance earned was a difficult one, but Fu was up to the task, pulling within 3-1.

...continued in next post

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Immonen vs Fu, World Pool Masters, continued, if you haven't read post 14, read it before you read this.

In rack five, Fu made a ball on the break, but faced this:

CueTable Help

Going to the rail on the draw shot was chancy, so Fu opted for a draw with outside english on the near straight one ball, and hit it brilliantly! This set up his runout and he pulled to within 3-2.

In rack six, Fu made a ball on the break and tried to carom the one into the side, but he hit it poorly for a bad miss, and Mika's runout made it 4-2.

In rack seven, Mika's dry break left an easy runout, completed by Fu, who pulled to within 4-3.

In rack eight, Fu broke the nine in, tying the match at 4-4.

In rack nine, Fu broke dry, and Mika has a look at a missable 1-8 combo, but Mika hit it well to earn a runout chance, completed nicely for a 5-4 advantage.

In rack ten, Mika's dry break left no shot, but a simple safe put Fu in control. Mika narrowly failed on a brilliant masse attempt, but hung the one, and Fu, who made a combo along the way, ran out for 5-5.

..... continued in the next post.

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Immonen vs Fu, World Pool Masters, continued, if you haven't read posts 14 and 15, read them both before you read this.

In rack eleven, Fu broke in a ball and had this difficult look at the one ball:

CueTable Help

From the jaws of the bottom corner pocket, Fu had to slow roll it, and nudged the two perfectly to create a shot. This shot was really quite remarkable, and it set up a runout, that despite a near miss on the nine, was completed by Fu for his first lead in the match, 6-5.

In rack twelve, Fu made a ball, but wasn't up to the tricky backwards cut of the one ball. Mika saw to it that Fu paid the price in full, running out for 6-6.

In rack thirteen, Mika broke in a ball, and made a nice cut on a missable one ball. He still had a 4-8 combo to negotiate, and although he made it, his shape onto the four was not ideal. He recovered with a superb thin cut shot played with the bridge, and ran out for a 7-6 lead.

Then, Michaela Tabb racked what I'm sure Mika hoped would be the last rack of the match, but Mika broke dry. Fu played a beautiful shot to get from the one to the two and then made a fine shot on the two up the long rail, setting up a runout, completed impressively for 7-7, double hill.

In rack 15, the double hill rack, Fu broke dry but left just a 1-3 combo, perhaps a 50% chance, missed by Mika. Fu had a look at a tough layout, and played well up to the 5-6 combo, which he missed. Mika ran out for an 8-7 victory.

This was a fantastic match with brilliant play by both players, and I felt privileged to have been there to watch it.

Last edited:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was all set to give you an attaboy

. . . Then, Michaela Tabb racked . . .

I was all set to give you an attaboy for a great match report complete with cue table diagrams until I realized you made us read two and a half posts before mentioning the real reason you focused on this match! :D :D :D

Hu

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm just gonna jump in here and offer my take after only one FULL day at the BCAPL Championships. Mark Griffin has recreated this event into a MUST NOT MISS event on the U.S. pool calendar. It is right up there with Derby City and the U.S. Open as one of the three best pool parties of the year.

In addition to the staggering amount of amateur players flogging away on 260 Diamond Smart Tables, there are several pro laden tourneys to savor. It is simply too much for one pool fanatic to take it all in. The biggest problem becomes which event to watch. Let's see Allison is playing in the Women's Masters division over here, Kelly Fisher is a couple of tables away over there, Shane is battling several tables down in the Men's Grand Masters division. Oh, and did mention that Johnny is getting ready to take on Nick Van Den Berg in the ballroom where the World Pool Masters is being played. My head is spinning. :eek:

What Mark has done, in his infinite wisdom, is create bar table events designed for the professional level players. For the women it's the Masters division. For the men, it's the Grand Masters. NO ONE is barred from these events and the fields are full of great players. And I mean FULL! The list of players in these two events reads like a who's who in pro pool. And it's a treat to see all these great players playing Eight Ball on the 7' Diamonds. Let me tell you, there's some damn good pool being played here!

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I'm just gonna jump in here and offer my take after only one FULL day at the BCAPL Championships. Mark Griffin has recreated this event into a MUST NOT MISS event on the U.S. pool calendar. It is right up there with Derby City and the U.S. Open as one of the three best pool parties of the year.

In addition to the staggering amount of amateur players flogging away on 260 Diamond Smart Tables, there are several pro laden tourneys to savor. It is simply too much for one pool fanatic to take it all in. The biggest problem becomes which event to watch. Let's see Allison is playing in the Women's Masters division over here, Kelly Fisher is a couple of tables away over there, Shane is battling several tables down in the Men's Grand Masters division. Oh, and did mention that Johnny is getting ready to take on Nick Van Den Berg in the ballroom where the World Pool Masters is being played. My head is spinning. :eek:

What Mark has done, in his infinite wisdom, is create bar table events designed for the professional level players. For the women it's the Masters division. For the men, it's the Grand Masters. NO ONE is barred from these events and the fields are full of great players. And I mean FULL! The list of players in these two events reads like a who's who in pro pool. And it's a treat to see all these great players playing Eight Ball on the 7' Diamonds. Let me tell you, there's some damn good pool being played here!

Well said, Jay. It is a poolfest of unprecedented magnitude, with the pro-filled bar table events an unexpected bonus over previous BCA weeks, and I've been to over fifteen of them. The scheduling difficulties are obvious, with some playing in the World Pool Masters and the Men's Grand Masters bar table event simulataneously. I had a long chat with Mark Griffin about it yesterday afternoon, and he spoke highly of the cooperation between the people running the World Pool Masters and his own staff. How tough is the men's bar table 8-ball field? Max Eberle managed to beat Rodolfo Luat early yesterday evening, and he must now face Roberto Gomez today. Champions galore! I also saw the late stages of Melissa Little's double hill win over Allison Fisher in the winner's bracket semifinal of the Women's Grand Masters event. Melissa made a brilliant runout in the case game.

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
OK, I'm really getting burned out already. I've been a social recluse to this point, greeting many (probably over 100 already) but the list of those I've spent 15+ consecutive minutes with is a short one indeed. The pool schedule is just so tough to keep up with.

Today looks just as crazy for me. I'll breakfast from about 9:00-10:00, and then I'll go to the sports book to watch my beloved New York Mets play (yes, East Coast baseball day games start early here in Vegas) from 10:00 - 1:00. From 1:00-2:00, I'll go to the gym for an hour on the treadmill. At 2:00, the World Pool Masters day session begins, which will feature the remaining three quarterfinals (VanDenBerg is already through to the semis). When it ends, I'll grab a meal, but will have to be done by 7:00, as that's when the World Pool Masters final session, in which the champion will be crowned, will take place. And, of course, along the way, I'll have ten different peeks at the bar table events.

I'll try to stay the course but eight days of this will be quite a test, even for this veteran fan who has been attending major pool events since the mid-1970's.