Golf questions

smokeandapancak

what?
Silver Member
I have never tried the game, but I hear about it often on the forums.

I have spent a fair amount of time in many poolrooms that have snooker tabels and not once have I ever seen anything but ...snooker... played on them.

Can somebody break down the rules so I can school some of the local Germans on a new game?

poolandpokerman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They play golf on the table next to me while I am playing 1 pocket everyday, however, I don't know a thing about it, just doesn't seem to interesting to me. Stevelomako who is a AZER here would know the rules, he plays a lot. Try to pm and he will give you the scoop.

stevee

Registered
The following are variations from the rules on the link that I remember from the game I played. I haven't played in a long time (30 years), but when I played we would draw peas before every game to determine the shooting order so that one player didn't benefit from always following the weakest player in the game. We didn't move obstructing balls, but counted only one foul if you didn't have a clear path to your object ball, and five fouls for missing a full ball. The player who left the winner out had to pay double.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
The following are variations from the rules on the link that I remember from the game I played. I haven't played in a long time (30 years), but when I played we would draw peas before every game to determine the shooting order so that one player didn't benefit from always following the weakest player in the game. We didn't move obstructing balls, but counted only one foul if you didn't have a clear path to your object ball, and five fouls for missing a full ball. The player who left the winner out had to pay double.

Player that let the winner out pays double, I like that for ring games of 9-ball and 10-ball too. Johnnyt

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another game that, though in the rule book, has rules that vary from region to region, according to what I've heard. Kinda like Chicago, called by other names in other parts of the country.

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1) draw peas to get shooting order, any number of guys can play
2) place cue ball on head spot and object ball on foot spot, first hole is banking to your lower right hand pocket
3) you need to pocket the object ball in each pocket going clockwise, after making the ball in each pocket it spots up on foot spot, so playing shape from here is key to running out
4) on each shot you must hit your ball and hit a rail afterward, either with the cue or object ball, failure to do this is a foul or hicky(explain later)
5) if you are hooked and miss your ball it is simple foul or hickie
6) if you have open shot and miss your ball, it is removed and respotted on your next turn on the footspot
7) Average bet game would be $5 or $10 and .25 or .50 on each foul or hickie, these hickies can add up, especially if you are playing a good player that hooks you a lot

I thinked I covered most of the basics, this game will work on your speed control and learning to kick is a must.

smokeandapancak

what?
Silver Member
1) draw peas to get shooting order, any number of guys can play
2) place cue ball on head spot and object ball on foot spot, first hole is banking to your lower right hand pocket
3) you need to pocket the object ball in each pocket going clockwise, after making the ball in each pocket it spots up on foot spot, so playing shape from here is key to running out
4) on each shot you must hit your ball and hit a rail afterward, either with the cue or object ball, failure to do this is a foul or hicky(explain later)
5) if you are hooked and miss your ball it is simple foul or hickie
6) if you have open shot and miss your ball, it is removed and respotted on your next turn on the footspot
7) Average bet game would be $5 or $10 and .25 or .50 on each foul or hickie, these hickies can add up, especially if you are playing a good player that hooks you a lot

I thinked I covered most of the basics, this game will work on your speed control and learning to kick is a must.

To everyone posted here

Thanks for trying to help a guy out…

Is the snooker table standard fair for this game or do folks play on a pool table also?

Rod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To everyone posted here

Is the snooker table standard fair for this game or do folks play on a pool table also?

Just use the link for rules as someone posted. In that set of rules you shoot anywhere inside the D on the first lag and on any scratches. A snooker table is the only table with a D. Pockets are to much in the way on a pool table plus it becomes a run out game. We played on 12 footers but a 5x10 will do.

Did you get that shaft?

Rod

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To everyone posted here

Golf needs to be played on a tight pocketed snooker table to be played right. A 9 foot or smaller pool table makes the game too easy.
Chuck

predator

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Players who find themselves on a snooker table will play snooker. I doubt you'll attract anyone from Europe into playing this 'golf' thing. By description, sounds like it is very poor compared to regular cuesports anyway.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Players who find themselves on a snooker table will play snooker. I doubt you'll attract anyone from Europe into playing this 'golf' thing. By description, sounds like it is very poor compared to regular cuesports anyway.

Have you ever played it? If not, don't criticize those who do. Golf on a Snooker table has been a staple in a lot of rooms where Snooker is seldom, if ever, played. It's a fairly simple game as far as the rules go, which may vary from place to place but it's not a game for beginners, like 8 ball.

smokeandapancak

what?
Silver Member
Just use the link for rules as someone posted. In that set of rules you shoot anywhere inside the D on the first lag and on any scratches. A snooker table is the only table with a D. Pockets are to much in the way on a pool table plus it becomes a run out game. We played on 12 footers but a 5x10 will do.

Did you get that shaft?

Rod

Going on a mail run tmrw afternoon… I expect it to be there be now!

Thanks

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The way I've played, each player makes there opening "break" shot. Then the first player shoots from where the last player leaves the cue ball. This is where it gets tricky, because everybody's ball should be fairly close to the first hole. Typically, it's good to have 4 or 5 guys playing.
The rules are simple, but the nuances and strategies are endless. Hope you do well. Remember the side pockets are the biggest part of this game, sometimes you are better off moving your ball around the table rather than selling out a side pocket.:wink:

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thats just foolishness.
The game is multifaceted, requiring knowledge of multirail kicks and banks, and a strong knowledge of where to leave the cueball. When played on a tight pocketed 12 foot table, its a killer. It doesnt lend itself to running many holes when played on a tough table, but even then, depending on the players, Ive seen the 3-6 ran with great precision. Kim Davenport ran all 6 on the Ernesto Dominquez-ized 12 footer at Hardtimes.
Action wise, the game at minimum is usually played 5-1, but Ive personally seen 50-5 played with 6-7 players. Thats 350+ to the winner, per game.
Chuck

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
The cue ball, Salem Oregon...most afternoons there is a golf game at the snooker table. Action seems heaviest on Thursday aftenoons. No, I don't participate. These guys would eat me for lunch!

predator

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thats just foolishness.
The game is multifaceted, requiring knowledge of multirail kicks and banks, and a strong knowledge of where to leave the cueball. When played on a tight pocketed 12 foot table, its a killer. It doesnt lend itself to running many holes when played on a tough table, but even then, depending on the players, Ive seen the 3-6 ran with great precision. Kim Davenport ran all 6 on the Ernesto Dominquez-ized 12 footer at Hardtimes.
Action wise, the game at minimum is usually played 5-1, but Ive personally seen 50-5 played with 6-7 players. Thats 350+ to the winner, per game.
Chuck

Snooker requires all that and more. Seems to me like somebody was too frustrated with real snooker, so they invented this gambling game. I'm not saying it doesn't require skill, of course it does...
As of yet, we didn't see it being played at the Crucible...I wonder why?

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Snooker requires all that and more. Seems to me like somebody was too frustrated with real snooker, so they invented this gambling game. I'm not saying it doesn't require skill, of course it does...
As of yet, we didn't see it being played at the Crucible...I wonder why?
Probably because its even more boring to watch than snooker..... :thumbup:
Chuck