BCA and Jump Cues

NewStroke

Screamin Monkey
Silver Member
Does anyone know if the BCA is or has banned specific jump cues? My feeling is the person that told me this is talking out of his butt. What do you all think?

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone know if the BCA is or has banned specific jump cues? My feeling is the person that told me this is talking out of his butt. What do you all think?

I saw many jump cues being used. I can't think of any that have been banned as long as they meet size standards.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the 2007-2008 rules they are perfectly legal--including phenolic tips--as long as they are not shorter than 40" and not heavier than 25 oz, tip smaller than 14mm--metal ferrules are limited to 1".

foxcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why should they ban jumping?Because some people can`t or don`t want to learn how to jump?Many years ago I was ask to play on a league and in the discussion about joining I was told they didn`t allow jumping.I ask the league operator why jumping was banned.His reply was because it`s a unfair advantage because not everyone can do it.I said to him not everyone can draw the cue ball a table lenght so shouldn`t that be banned also?He couldn`t give me a answer.I said to him it took me several years to develop a stroke that could draw the ball 1 1/2 table lenghts on a 9 ft table but it took me about 4 hours to be able to jump a ball a chalk width away.Now which one is harder to learn and is a more unfair advantage?If you say the jumping then you need to play better safties.Needless to say I didn`t join the league and have never played in any league(it`s just not for me).Now don`t get me wrong I understand some people have simply never tried to learn or weren`t showed how to do it correctly so they risk damaging the cloth or possibly the equipment for this reason I can see why some rooms ban it but what other plausable reason other than skill is there?Just my opinion.I`m sure there are many people that will disagree with me but whats your reason other than an unfair advantage when you play safe and your opponent jumps and makes a hit or makes the ball?If that`s your reason you need to learn to jump and play safties that freeze the cueball to the safeball.

bell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bring it on

I play BCA league. Every time I see an opponent break out a jump cue I am a happy camper. I know the odds are low that (a) he will jump the ball and (b) he will even hit the object ball, and (c) he will make the shot. Bring it on.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
In the 2007-2008 rules they are perfectly legal--including phenolic tips--as long as they are not shorter than 40" and not heavier than 25 oz, tip smaller than 14mm--metal ferrules are limited to 1".

You hit the
9176-bullseye_med.jpg
with that post.

ARROWCRUSHER

N/ CUE STROKER
Silver Member
Someone told me that at one time they banned a break cue called the x breaker, thats something i heard a while back from someone at a tournament, i dont know if it is true, but they said the company went out of buisness or something cause the were banned, anyone know anything about that ?

djpstacked03

Student of Billiards
Silver Member
I can't stand some of these old timers views. Jump cues should be banned blah blah blah. If you can legally strike a ball using any cue to jump over a ball then so be it. Jumping is an art. Power to you if you can full cue jump like Earl Strickland and Corey Deuel. Yes phenolic tips have made it much easier to jump. Oh wait a second. They also make it easier to break with more transer of energy. Damn they should be banned from breaking also. I personally find it very enjoyable to jump over a intruding ball and pocket my object ball. Look at it this way. The better you get at pool the less you will need to use your jump cue. How often does Efren use a jump cue?.......Exactly. Trust me I rather not have to use my jump cue and stay in line every shot. But hey. If I can jump as well as I can kick it's just one more ability in my arsenal. Just my 2 cents :wink:

mr8ball

Someone told me that at one time they banned a break cue called the x breaker, thats something i heard a while back from someone at a tournament, i dont know if it is true, but they said the company went out of buisness or something cause the were banned, anyone know anything about that ?

I have one of the XBreaker and used it at the BCA last week and no one said anything. I used my Jacoby jump cue a few times also.

banky

Registered
They are now banding phenolics

BCA bands Phenolic at meeting at B C A national last Saturday.
The Reason G10 material was fracturing the cue balls so they banded Phenolics.
The tip has to be glue on no one piece ferrule tip assembly.
I was approach being Jerico stinger. And I ask why.
But I introduce leather All in one tip in 2005 that did it all.
And with 2 years working on this we have leather that will perform with Phenolic with added benefits of jump draw and jump masse as we have shown at Valley forge and the nationals. It is approved by the B C A and the APA at this point.
http://www.jericopoolcues.com/Phenolic-Banded.html

For more info that affect stinger cues

sk8ordie

HTTR!
Silver Member
Why should they ban jumping?Because some people can`t or don`t want to learn how to jump?Many years ago I was ask to play on a league and in the discussion about joining I was told they didn`t allow jumping.I ask the league operator why jumping was banned.His reply was because it`s a unfair advantage because not everyone can do it.I said to him not everyone can draw the cue ball a table lenght so shouldn`t that be banned also?He couldn`t give me a answer.I said to him it took me several years to develop a stroke that could draw the ball 1 1/2 table lenghts on a 9 ft table but it took me about 4 hours to be able to jump a ball a chalk width away.Now which one is harder to learn and is a more unfair advantage?If you say the jumping then you need to play better safties.Needless to say I didn`t join the league and have never played in any league(it`s just not for me).Now don`t get me wrong I understand some people have simply never tried to learn or weren`t showed how to do it correctly so they risk damaging the cloth or possibly the equipment for this reason I can see why some rooms ban it but what other plausable reason other than skill is there?Just my opinion.I`m sure there are many people that will disagree with me but whats your reason other than an unfair advantage when you play safe and your opponent jumps and makes a hit or makes the ball?If that`s your reason you need to learn to jump and play safties that freeze the cueball to the safeball.

Tap,tap:thumbup:

1on1pooltournys

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And with 2 years working on this we have leather that will perform with Phenolic with added benefits of jump draw and jump masse as we have shown at Valley forge and the nationals. It is approved by the B C A and the APA at this point.

This seems fishy?? Did anybody else go to that link?

SlickRick_PCS

Pool, Snooker, Carom
Silver Member
Banning phenolic tips....

I am all for jump cues, but I am certainly not for phenolic tips. Very hard leather tips consist of control of English and gives it some skill involved while Phenolic tips are just an easy way of jumping the ball with ease and virtually having no control. Jump cues should be in; but with SOME difficulty and skill involved.

But on my contrast (and my hypocracy... sorry:sorry:), seeing an individual either getting his full break or playing cue jumping, or just going for a kick shot or masse shot really gives me alot of respect. It takes a hell lot of skill to do these and more mad respect in my part for them than to deal with just getting out a easy crutch.

Nevertheless, there are times when we really do need this jump cue for certain senarios. So I believe that the jump cue is necessary for some shots and should be in our arsenal of cues for those occasional shots. (One thing that comes into my mind is the Luong vs. Foldes 3-foul attempt when Luong jumped on top of one ball).

NewStroke

Screamin Monkey
Silver Member
Here is the reply I received from Bill Stock, the BCA Director of Referees:

"Jump cues are allowed as long as they are 40” long. However, as of June 1st we will not longer allow phenolic tips in our tournaments. "

Grumpy

Senior Citizen
Silver Member
According to Bill Stock (BCA Pool League Director of Referees & Rules Administrator)
the ONLY thing banned is the phenolic tips.
His post is in a previous thread.