This i gotta see...

POCKETWOLF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With all of the unrest about phenolic tips, i'm a bit curious. Has anyone ever seen a cue ball damaged by phenolic tip during play? Here's the catch, i need to see it- pics only-no stories as anyone can make up a story. I could care less whether they are "legal" or not, but i've never seen a cue ball damaged by a tip. Show me what ya got....or not.:wink:

TXsouthpaw

My tush hog
Silver Member
With all of the unrest about phenolic tips, i'm a bit curious. Has anyone ever seen a cue ball damaged by phenolic tip during play? Here's the catch, i need to see it- pics only-no stories as anyone can make up a story. I could care less whether they are "legal" or not, but i've never seen a cue ball damaged by a tip. Show me what ya got....or not.:wink:

Id like to see it too. cause i dont belieive it. And why all of a sudden the ban? if they hurt the cue balls dont you think somebody wouldve noticed it YEARS ago when it first came on the market?

I practiced jumping for over an hour the other day with my g10 tip and the cue ball still looks like new. and ive practiced breaking for hours on end before with my phenolic tip and no damage either. Same cueball.

I dont believe this bs, it seems llike someone is trying to push leather tips on us. Wonder if anyone bought stock in sumo or whover makes the hardest leather tip right now.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I also want to see it. From what I understand, the tips are made of the same thing as the balls themselves. The balls would be chipping each other if it's that bad. I've seen some slight chipping in well-worn balls but I never saw it affect anything and I don't even know for sure how the chips got there.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
There was a thread not long ago with a great pic of a cb with the damage clearly shown. Maybe someone less tired then myself can dig it up.:sorry:

pooltableproCP

Is there a problem?
Silver Member
The way I understand it, is that the balls were being damaged by G10 which is not phenolic, but fiberglass. White diamond tips, as well as any other melamine tips would be ok.

TheMadScientist

Justin Richardson
Silver Member
I've seen red circle cue balls with little half circle cracks all over them(I hear it is from the tips, probably from breaking). Also, those piece of junk white valley balls seem to get rough and lose their shine(this may just be because they are junk though and not have anything to do with hard tips).

I've had white marks on my playing tip after a miscue with those junk balls.

fsarfino

♔ ♕ ♖ ♗ ♘ ♙
here's a pics of a measles ball that has the half moon cracks on it
http://forums.azbilliards.com//attachment.php?attachmentid=95944
I also have one of these balls that has the same damage on it. However I'm not sure if they came from my old break cue that had a phenolic tip on it or if its from my new break cue with a white diamond tip.

So far I only have one of these marks on my red circle cue ball that I have been using for the past 3 months.

POCKETWOLF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok, now are those "cracks", or friction marks. I use a wengler tip from muellers, and have no marks on my table at home. I have a pretty strong break when i turn it loose, and i use the same measle ball--no marks.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
here's a pics of a measles ball that has the half moon cracks on it
http://forums.azbilliards.com//attachment.php?attachmentid=95944
I also have one of these balls that has the same damage on it. However I'm not sure if they came from my old break cue that had a phenolic tip on it or if its from my new break cue with a white diamond tip.

So far I only have one of these marks on my red circle cue ball that I have been using for the past 3 months.

Got those at my house too. Sledgehammer CRUSH!

Trent

Banned
ok maybe im just not picky enough for this thread but i dont see where its that big of a deal.... those tiny little cracks probably wont hurt the course of the cue ball or cause damage to your playing cue...... and if it gets real bad like that one measels ball then get a new cue ball.... i would be proud of that measels ball like look at me break :thumbup: strong like a bodybuilder lol

ive played with balls in league or lower grade pool halls that have big chips in them marks on it dimples and what ever else you can find bad on a ball and it doesnt seem to stop people from running out... with the exception of a mud ball those things are horrible! lol

POCKETWOLF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not knocking the pics, but those balls look like they skipped off a gravel road, not hit with a cue. The hit people are describing leaves chips or cracks, i don't see that in those pics.