My action match with Johnny Archer yesterday

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
The Scorpion is in my home town this weekend and I, Mr. Self Annointed World Beater, tracked him down. We got into the box yesterday.

Before I tell you about our match, a little background, mmmkay? I had been preparing for this day, religiously. A snippet of my last week:

1) I watched a 3 minuteYouTube of Johnny from the 2007 Mosconi Cup, to make sure I knew his every strength and weakness (Geez, the guy is so predictable)
2) I played in a local tournament, winning 2 matches and a bye before tiring of it all and laying down.
3) I played a $1/$2 9-Ball partners match while balancing 14 jagermeisters on my head. The talent was rich, featuring Tony "Miller Lite" Mills, Rick "the other *****" Sonner, and Preacher Jeff.

OK, so now it’s ON Baby! Johnny and I meet at Gate City Billiards in Greensboro, NC (a really fine new establishment sporting some great new GCIV’s, Diamonds and a 5x10 snooker table). We ironed out all the details and got down to business. 10 ahead, $50,000, heads up. So, who won you may be wondering?

Well, I’m not one to brag, but this picture pretty much says it all. Over and over and over. I won the lag, and this is what we saw 10 straight times!

;)

Ok… I may have lost perspective of reality somewhere along the road… I’mma gonna seek some counsel and may momentarily post something factual about yesterday's 6 student class with Johnny. :)

Attachments

• Johnny racks 4 me.jpg
    Johnny racks 4 me.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 852
Last edited:

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
I never pulled wings off of flies, I swear

Ok, Ok, my fantasy might have been difficult for ya'll to accept. A man can dream, right?

Johnny held a class yesterday in a private room for 6 of us. From 10 am to 3 pm. We, the students, all had some game, with an APA 7 as a minimum.

It was a great experience as well as a learning one. Johnny (as anyone here that has had the pleasure to be with him knows) is just home town, laid back, relaxed, humble good people. His pool philosophy is SO simplistic. He boils everything down to the bone. No theories, no diamond system, no CTE, no BHE, no clutter.

"There's only 2 ways to miss a shot. Improper allignment or a mis-hit on the cue." "Straight back, straight through, and make sure you follow well through and stay still." "Put a piece of paper on top of your elbow and pendulum swing, and the paper never moves."

"JUST LET THE CUE PASS UNDER YOUR CHIN."

Thanks Johnny! (And a thanks to Wayne that orchestrated the lesson and to Don, a gracious host for the event!)

Johnny and I

Matt & Johnny.jpg

Johnny supervises Aaron

JA supervises Aaron.jpg

Johnny shoots while Joel and Chris watch the master

JA shoots, Joel & Chris watch .jpg

Johnny just after impact

Johnny breaks.jpg

Johnny and some coggity ole coot name Wayne ;)

Johnny & Wayne.jpg

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
KoolKat

That puts a rest to those nasty rumours about aiming systems. Oh wait, maybe that is Johnny's aiming system. Matt, it looks like you had a great time.

Thanks for the details and pics. You done good.

JoeyA

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Ok, Ok, my fantasy might have been difficult for ya'll to accept. A man can dream, right?

Johnny held a class yesterday in a private room for 6 of us. From 10 am to 3 pm. We, the students, all had some game, with an APA 7 as a minimum.

It was a great experience as well as a learning one. Johnny (as anyone here that has had the pleasure to be with him knows) is just home town, laid back, relaxed, humble good people. His pool philosophy is SO simplistic. He boils everything down to the bone. No theories, no diamond system, no CTE, no BHE, no clutter.

"There's only 2 ways to miss a shot. Improper allignment or a mis-hit on the cue." "Straight back, straight through, and make sure you follow well through and stay still." "Put a piece of paper on top of your elbow and pendulum swing, and the paper never moves."

"JUST LET THE CUE PASS UNDER YOUR CHIN."

Thanks Johnny! (And a thanks to Wayne that orchestrated the lesson and to Don, a gracious host for the event!)

Johnny and some coggity ole coot name Wayne ;)

View attachment 97270

Darn, that picture of Wayne looks just like the GingerBread Man (Jay Helfert). :D

JoeyA

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Thanks for the pictures and blow by blow. I like to learn things from down to earth people that keep it simple. Money very well spent I say. Johnnyt

Majic

With The Lights ON !!
Silver Member
Thanks for posting the pics Mat. It's nice to see some my old friends from Greensboro. I see that Chris is in his familiar pool playing position.:woot:

Attachments

• JA%20shoots%2C%20Joel%20%26%20Chris%20watch%20.jpg
    JA%20shoots%2C%20Joel%20%26%20Chris%20watch%20.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 777
Last edited:

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Coggity??

I know feller that you refer to as a coggity. Wayne is a great guy, fun to play pool with and if you are looking for a house he is the man to see. Wayne loves pool and golf, hope he is playing both!!
Dan

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just ran across this picture on OnePocket.Org website. It is in an article about Tony "Fargo" Ferguson, who was inducted into the One-Pocket Hall of Fame. :)

Look at the young Johnny Archer (sans mustache) in this pic, along with Tony Ferguson to the right of him. :)

Attachments

• McCready-Archer-Fargo-web[1].jpg
    McCready-Archer-Fargo-web[1].jpg
    29 KB · Views: 666

cyrex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Poor Johnny

You guys worked him over pretty good. You can see in this pic he's just about to put his head down and cry as your boy runs another rack on him. Hope you at least gave him cab fare home and a warm bottle of Dew for the road.

attachment.php

the420trooper

Free T-Rex
Silver Member
Thanks for the play by play, Matt...very cool. I remember you telling me about this a month or so ago, I was wondering how it went. Sounds like an awesome experience.

Now, you automatically have to spot me two balls when we meet up...;)

fat Albert

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
kudos to the Gate City Billiards Club

Matt

Very nice post. A very, very nice room with excellent everything. I am sure a good time was had by all. Perhaps there will be more. Note I think that coggity old man use to live in Texas playing under the name Fatman.

Texas T

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
Mountain Dew has more caffeine than a truck-stop urinal.

Hmm, maybe that's what's been missing from my game.

Formula7

The Guerilla
Silver Member
you have no idea how much he likes MT Dew, he cant function without it, Litterly. Look at every match he plays in tournments he has 2 bottles with him, he carries them in his case EVERYTIME!!!, he sips it 24/7.

How could he not? Mountain Dew is the BEST! Lol. I love that stuff! This makes Mr. Archer, THAT much cooler. :thumbup:

Mr441

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How could he not? Mountain Dew is the BEST! Lol. I love that stuff! This makes Mr. Archer, THAT much cooler. :thumbup:

Mountain Dew is great, but I used to really love Mello Yello...I can't find it anymore :(

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
Pool Wars & the world according to garp

I'm a Yoo-Hoo chocolate MAN! It takes a real man to drink chocolate! :wink:

I'm not sure I'd be toting the Yoo-Hoo sponsorship, people might start whispering in the corner behind your back! ;)

Jay, we had some "downtime" during our lunchbreak and after things wrapped up. We plugged Johnny for a gazillion questions. Anyway, I mentioned I was just about finished reading "Running the Table", Kid Delicious' tales on the road. So what's the first thing Johnny says?

"Guys, if you want a REALLY good read, there's a book out now that you just HAVE to get. It's called Pool Wars by Jay Helfert." :thumbup: He went on a bit about your book and what it was about, etc.

Dude, you're a star! I (of course) had to tell him what a reasonably OK guy you are and how I gave you a lesson on your home table. ;)

There were other very interesting conversations we had. AZ Billiards name came up only about fifty times, in different references to topics.

I had to ask about Fatboy's "pad", as I know Johnny and Eric are good buds. He spoke well of the good things Eric does and the big heart behind the big curtain. :)

I asked him about who he saw as America's best choices for the upcoming Mosconi cup team. Send me a pm and $50 and I'll share his thoughts. ;)

Johnny is pretty wide open and speaks with just a hair of PC filtering. I found this man to be a seriously good guy, without pretense, without clutter, and with substance.

It was a great experience that I will cherish for life. If anyone out there reading this has strong passion for the game, I could not recommend any stronger than to enroll in a class, any class, with the Scorpion King.

Best regards,

Matt <--- going to Kinkos to blow up his JA Diploma and frame it