kicking players off team

fatsix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How do you guys go about doing this? Simply put I'm tired of the bullcrap with theese two. One is a 2 (APA) and is progressively getting worse. The other is a 7 (APA) who called the APA and moved himself up. I told him several times to move himself back down. He's won maybe 20% of his games the last two sessions since moving up. Theese two have to play together in order for me to make the handicap. Basically i'm giving the other team two losses.

NewStroke

Screamin Monkey
Silver Member
I know I joke around alot, but this is serious to me.

I was a captain for an APA team and had a guy that was constantly making sexist remarks. He was either trying to shark or just and idiot. After the first warning, I simply told him that he doesn't need to plan on coming back.

I've never booted anybody for trying (APA is a "fun" league"). The guy that moved himself up however I would tell him that there is no place on the team for a 7 that can't win.

Honesty is the best policy.

Richardson

Who me ?
Silver Member
You could always go with the "im dropping the team lie, then just rebuild it with different players"

Otherwise, i never had problems with telling people that i dont need their help anymore and will be finding 2 new players.

I like your comment about APA being a *fun* league. Keep that in mind while keeping players on your team that make it fun for you too ! !

fatsix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
problem is that this is the third week into the season. The first week the other team forfited, and next week is a bye. Theese two guys were on the team before i took it over, so i kind of feel bad. But after last night i want to punch them in the face.

ronhudson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just handle it honestly but diplomatically. Tell him (the 7) you have nothing against him personally, but as captain, it's your job to act for the whole team and to help the team win. Because of APA's 23 rule and because he voluntarily moved himself up to a skill level where he cannot win consistently, you cannot accomplish your job. Give him a last opportunity to move himself down (and tell him it's a final warning), then drop him if he does not.

As far as the 2, is coaching help being offered to him and is he accepting the help or rejecting it?

Sadly, you cannot be a captain and a buddy to each person individually on the team. Everyone on the team has to pull his or her weight. Yes, APA is a fun league, but there's little fun in losing all the time unless drinking is the object and pool is just an excuse.

Big Perm

1pkt 14.1 8 Banks 9 10
Silver Member
problem is that this is the third week into the season. The first week the other team forfited, and next week is a bye. Theese two guys were on the team before i took it over, so i kind of feel bad. But after last night i want to punch them in the face.

LOL, slow down there Tyson :D

As far as the 2, you really can't expect much.....they are a 2 because they aren't very good....they win a few matches and all of a sudden they are a 3......IMHO in APA, you need the 2.....just don't play them any more than every other week and realize it's truly a bonus if they win.....we had a guy that was a 2.....I don't think anyone in our league had ever, ever seen a guy that was a 2....he had the stroke of a 4, but he scratched every other shot....he lost 10 matches in a row, but he was such a fun guy, none of us cared....

As far as the 7 that should be ranked as a 6 and plays like a 5.....just talk to him, let him know that he's not holding up his end, and he needs to be ranked appropriately.....let him know it's either that or he needs to find a new team.....give him a choice and see what he does...

As someone said, just keep it honest, it keeps it simple...

stormshadow1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well said

Just handle it honestly but diplomatically. Tell him (the 7) you have nothing against him personally, but as captain, it's your job to act for the whole team and to help the team win. Because of APA's 23 rule and because he voluntarily moved himself up to a skill level where he cannot win consistently, you cannot accomplish your job. Give him a last opportunity to move himself down (and tell him it's a final warning), then drop him if he does not.

As far as the 2, is coaching help being offered to him and is he accepting the help or rejecting it?

Sadly, you cannot be a captain and a buddy to each person individually on the team. Everyone on the team has to pull his or her weight. Yes, APA is a fun league, but there's little fun in losing all the time unless drinking is the object and pool is just an excuse.

I agree with Ron.You need to break it down to him just like that.Its the whole team he hurting by making himself a seven that cant win at that handicap.I too have never heard of someone calling the apa to increase their rank.I don't even think this is possible(not the apa guru at all).Someone on here will know the answer on here I am sure.If you can that is some crazy sh*t.I am curious to know if you can plead your handicap to them.This kind of stuff is why I refuse to be the captain anymore on my squad.It is hard to deal with the bs of making sure everyone shows up and etc.I myself have used the "starting a new team next session" bit for to get rid of a similiar type player.I feel your pain and hope it works out.Just be honest with him and explain with patience.I am sure it will be all good.:smile:

fatsix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ITs an ego thing with the 7. Apparently its better for his pool table business...or fixing the other teams cues and showing them how to make shots during matches. Hes been told enough times to move back down. My team wins 4-1 without the 2 and 7 playing, looses 3-2 with the 2 and 7 playing on a consistant basis. As far as the two goes... i've never seen anyone scratch on every single shot, get to the 8 ball and miss,not to mention the couple ball in hands that resulted in giving a ball in hand back. and the first thing he says to me last night, was the tables messed up. He went to hand me his $7 for the match and i told him he should pay $14 for that performance. As you guys can tell i'm just completely disgusted with the situation and just dont want any arguement to come of it. Last time i threw someone off they would come to our home games, get drunk and want to make comments. Its getting really old being this aggrevated and trying to play.

BVal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ITs an ego thing with the 7. Apparently its better for his pool table business...or fixing the other teams cues and showing them how to make shots during matches. Hes been told enough times to move back down. My team wins 4-1 without the 2 and 7 playing, looses 3-2 with the 2 and 7 playing on a consistant basis. As far as the two goes... i've never seen anyone scratch on every single shot, get to the 8 ball and miss,not to mention the couple ball in hands that resulted in giving a ball in hand back. and the first thing he says to me last night, was the tables messed up. He went to hand me his $7 for the match and i told him he should pay $14 for that performance. As you guys can tell i'm just completely disgusted with the situation and just dont want any arguement to come of it. Last time i threw someone off they would come to our home games, get drunk and want to make comments. Its getting really old being this aggrevated and trying to play.
Loose = Not tight

BVal

fatsix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you absolutely can move yourself up. Call up the regional apa office. Cry to them that everyone is calling you a sandbagger and doesnt want to play you until you move up. I have called twice and they will not move him down since he asked to be moved up. Right now, he'd be a competative 5.

BVal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you absolutely can move yourself up. Call up the regional apa office. Cry to them that everyone is calling you a sandbagger and doesnt want to play you until you move up. I have called twice and they will not move him down since he asked to be moved up. Right now, he'd be a competative 5.
Be honest with them. That is always the best advice no matter what the situation is.

BVal

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
If it were me, I would finish out the season and form my own team for the next one. Given that you assumed captainship of a team that predates you, it would be pretty bold to kick two established players off...even if they suck...but that's just me. You started the season knowing they were on the team and how they played, right? The self-promotion to 7 is idiotic and you have full rights to demand he reverse that.

BVal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it were me, I would finish out the season and form my own team for the next one. Given that you assumed captainship of a team that predates you, it would be pretty bold to kick two established players off...even if they suck...but that's just me. You started the season knowing they were on the team and how they played, right? The self-promotion to 7 is idiotic and you have full rights to demand he reverse that.
Great advice.

BVal

stormshadow1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I understand

I understand and feel your pain.I hate dealing with some players who talk up their game so much.Then cannot back anything up during league matches.I still cannot fathom his call to the f*cking apa.Come on man I would have said your f*cking done on my squad.How are you going to call them to move you up when I am sure he knows it is handicap the whole team.Not to mention himself looking stupid when he gets crushed by a descent 3.I would not worry bro if he keeps playing like that he down to a 5 very soon anyhow.Hope it works out.We just locked up 1st on Tues for my league so I am stoked on that.7 rounds up with one wk left.Everyone will be playing for second next week so no stress!Just some beers and time to celebrate.It is a cash league so the money really helps in these hard times.We all beared down and stomped the 2nd play team this tues 3 out of 4 rounds huge match.I only one my last match but it was the case game to put us over the top and secure 1st.Had to tell someone wifey could care less!!Good luck with butthead!

Last edited:

FeltMaster

You Get The 8
Silver Member

Why does the "equalizer system" not move him automatically to the rank / level he is playing?
It sounds like your stating he has a bypass to his match results and will not be dropped / adjusted based on performance? This doesn't make any sence to me.
I have seen people have a great 9 ball match and get moved up based on that result alone, (the last session I went from a 5 to a 7 based off two matches I played, but leveled out to a 6) now it is tougher to go back down beacause of the 20 game averaging / anti sandbagging scoring method, but if he loses consistantly, I see the system adjusting his handicap eventually.

my two cents based on my APA playing history.

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
Boot them, the league operator will find them a new home. I just joined back up and apparently am on the worst most competitive team in APA history. We won last week 3-2...I hate 8 ball but can still win 5-0, the 3 guys Ive played have been sub par. You shouldnt be able to win 5-0 in 11 innings playing very little defense. My point is if youre team likes to win you have to have people on your team that are gonna give it their all not donkey their games off. I won't go into the sandbagging thing but your 2 might be your all star player with just a little help at team championships. If you have a 6 or 7 though that cant win, they need to go...u can lose with anyone right?