Demise of the jump/break

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does the new ruling regarding phenolic tips signal the end of the jump break cue? I don't know anyone who would jump with a leather tip if they don't have to. It may also usher back in the dedicated jump cue that was replaced by the J/B.

teedotaj

teedot oohhhhhh
Silver Member
I don't understand this. Doesn't this only affect BCA leagues anyway?
Or is it all events in America o.0

Last edited:

Hierovision

Dios mio, man.
Silver Member
It will probably eliminate the close jumps that are possible with a dart-stroking professional, but I doubt we will see the end of the jump/break. We might even see more jump/break/players as a result. Andy Gilbert better prepare for more orders :p

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Just making an observation but you are right. The actual number of people it effects world wide it is meaningless. Although people are always picking up the rule book to make a call and if the BCA book is an accepted source for rulings it can be more far reaching.

Last edited:

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It will probably eliminate the close jumps that are possible with a dart-stroking professional, but I doubt we will see the end of the jump/break. We might even see more jump/break/players as a result. Andy Gilbert better prepare for more orders :p

Why would that be seeing that you can jump better with a White Diamond or phenolic tip? Why would someone not want the best tip for jumping? That wouldn't make sense.

muttley76

"Time to GET BUSY...."
Silver Member
Keep in mind that jump breaks were around many, many years before phenolic tips. And they will be around long, long after.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Keep in mind that jump breaks were around many, many years before phenolic tips. And they will be around long, long after.

What will be the alternative, use two shafts and switch back and forth? It would make more sense to just have a break cue and jump cue each with the correct tip.

muttley76

"Time to GET BUSY...."
Silver Member
What will be the alternative, use two shafts and switch back and forth? It would make more sense to just have a break cue and jump cue each with the correct tip.

Hopefully they will just ban all jump cues. Too many people these days can't kick anyways. Lord knows I would be the first in line if they did.

Hierovision

Dios mio, man.
Silver Member
Why would that be seeing that you can jump better with a White Diamond or phenolic tip? Why would someone not want the best tip for jumping? That wouldn't make sense.

I'm not 100% sure what you're trying to say. All I was saying is that the BCA banning phenolic tips probably won't do any damage to jump/breaks, and may even increase orders for jump/break/players. I know I enjoy a hard tip, but nothing that will damage my balls. (That's what she... oh never mind).

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member

The BCAPL rules weigh heavily on the rules that other organizations decide to use. Don't be surprised if this rule ripples throughout the pool world.

Richardson

Who me ?
Silver Member
Phenolic Tip Rule

Effective June 1, 2009, the Official Rules of the BCA Pool League in “Equipment Specifications” under “Cues,” item d. states:

“The cue tip must be composed of leather, fibrous, or pliable material.
Phenolic cue tips are not permitted.”

The BCA Pool League is amending this rule to state: “THE CUE TIP ON BREAK CUES MUST BE MADE OF LEATHER WITH NO NON-LEATHER MATERIALS ADDED TO THE CONTACTING SURFACE.” There have been questions asked, such as: “What if I break with my jump cue?” and similar questions. It is very simple. Whatever cue you break with must have a leather tip.

The reason for this rule is that the BCA Pool League has witnessed too many examples of damaged cue balls. After consultations with Aramith and Simonis, it has been determined the major contributing factor in cue ball damage is the hardness of the tip on break cues.

For several years the WPA has taken the position that the cue tip may not be of a material that can scratch or damage the cue ball. The BCAPL subscribes to the WPA philosophy.

This policy only applies to break cues. Jump cues are allowed to have a leather or non-leather tip - since it is difficult to stroke with enough force to cause damage.

This rule will be in effect at the BCAPL National 8-Ball Championships and regional tournaments that the BCAPL promotes. Promoters, directors and operators of events such as league play or local tournaments may alter the rules as they see fit.

Signed,
Bill Stock, BCAPL
Director of Referees and
Rules Administrator

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not 100% sure what you're trying to say. All I was saying is that the BCA banning phenolic tips probably won't do any damage to jump/breaks, and may even increase orders for jump/break/players. I know I enjoy a hard tip, but nothing that will damage my balls. (That's what she... oh never mind).

My point was, no one given a choice is going to have a leather tip on a jump cue. Since you can only have one tip of leather on the J/B what good would the cue be. It would be an inferior jump cue and no one wants that. They want the best they can get. They alternative is a dedicated jump cue. No need for the J/B anymore.

muttley76

"Time to GET BUSY...."
Silver Member
That is not what we are discussing and not going to happen.

Hey, you were the one who asked about "changing shafts", lol. The truth is, not too many good players need phenolic tips on break cues. And most now have separate jump cues as well, so I don't see this as being too huge an issue.

frankncali

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think people might find that they dont lose much on their break and that they might find more control.

I think a second shaft with a quick release joint is the way to go. I have a 2x4 case as do many and I dont have room for the butt of a dedicated jump cue.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Phenolic Tip Rule

Effective June 1, 2009, the Official Rules of the BCA Pool League in “Equipment Specifications” under “Cues,” item d. states:

“The cue tip must be composed of leather, fibrous, or pliable material.
Phenolic cue tips are not permitted.”

The BCA Pool League is amending this rule to state: “THE CUE TIP ON BREAK CUES MUST BE MADE OF LEATHER WITH NO NON-LEATHER MATERIALS ADDED TO THE CONTACTING SURFACE.” There have been questions asked, such as: “What if I break with my jump cue?” and similar questions. It is very simple. Whatever cue you break with must have a leather tip.

The reason for this rule is that the BCA Pool League has witnessed too many examples of damaged cue balls. After consultations with Aramith and Simonis, it has been determined the major contributing factor in cue ball damage is the hardness of the tip on break cues.

For several years the WPA has taken the position that the cue tip may not be of a material that can scratch or damage the cue ball. The BCAPL subscribes to the WPA philosophy.

This policy only applies to break cues. Jump cues are allowed to have a leather or non-leather tip - since it is difficult to stroke with enough force to cause damage.

This rule will be in effect at the BCAPL National 8-Ball Championships and regional tournaments that the BCAPL promotes. Promoters, directors and operators of events such as league play or local tournaments may alter the rules as they see fit.

Signed,
Bill Stock, BCAPL
Director of Referees and
Rules Administrator

Interestingly, if you read the last line they are not even calling for anyone to enforce it.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey, you were the one who asked about "changing shafts", lol. The truth is, not too many good players need phenolic tips on break cues. And most now have separate jump cues as well, so I don't see this as being too huge an issue.

If someone builds B/J cues it is. Some guys that is all they build.

ajohnson13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

This is good to know as I break with my playing cue, and jump with a J&J with a WD tip on a Phenolic ferrule. No worries for me.