Does drinking hurt or help your game?

Does drinking help or hurt your game.

• A few drinks helps my game.

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • A few drinks hurts my game.

Votes: 39 38.2%
  • A few drinks makes no difference either way.

Votes: 11 10.8%
  • Getting drunk (several drinks) helps my game.

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Too many drinks hurts my game.

Votes: 37 36.3%
  • I have no game so why not get drunk.

Votes: 18 17.6%

• Total voters

bigshooter

<--vs Chuck Norris on TAR
Silver Member
Does drinking help or hurt your game?

Multiple choices are allowed on the poll.

Last edited:

hilla_hilla

I'd rather be foosing it!
Silver Member
I try not to drink when I play, but when I do drink when I play, I free wheel and relax. I guess it depends upon the person and how much you drink. I wouldn't make a habit of it.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Drinking before hurts, drinking after helps.

Get enough drinks in you after you play and it'll turn out you didn't miss a ball.

mamono

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it depends on the person and situation. If you aren't confident about your game, then it may help calm the nerves a little so that you can put more trust in your stroke and not second guess yourself. That's about it. I don't think it should be something to be relied on. Improve your game, I think drinking should be purely recreational and for social reasons only.

dgem

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Drink when you lose, drink when you win. Drinking beer will always be there no matter what. Beer is your best friend.

Just make sure to remember these troubleshooting :smile:

For all drinkers out there.....

Beer Troubleshooting

Symptom: Feet cold and wet.
Fault: Glass being held at incorrect angle.
Action: Rotate glass so that open end points towards ceiling.

Symptom: Feet warm and wet.
Fault: Improper bladder control.
Action: Stand next to nearest dog; complain about housetraining.

Symptom: Beer unusually pale and tasteless.
Fault: Glass empty.
Action: Get someone to buy you another beer.

Symptom: Opposite wall covered with florescent lights.
Fault: You have fallen over backward.
Action: Have yourself lashed to the bar.

Symptom: Mouth contains cigarette butts.
Fault: You have fallen over forward.
Action: See above.

Symptom: Beer tasteless, front of your shirt is wet.
Fault: Mouth not open, or glass applied to wrong part of face.
Action: Retire to restroom, practice in mirror.

Symptom: Floor blurred.
Fault: You are looking through the bottom of an empty beer glass.
Action: Get someone to buy you another beer.

Symptom: Floor moving.
Fault: You are being carried out.
Action: Find out if you are being taken to another bar.

Symptom: Room seems unusually dark.
Fault: Bar has closed.
Action: Confirm home address with bartender.

Symptom: Taxi suddenly takes on colourful aspect and textures.
Fault: Beer consumption has exceeded personal limitations.
Action: Cover mouth.

Symptom: Everyone looks up to you and smiles.
Fault: You are dancing on the table.
Action: Fall on someone cushy-looking.

Symptom: Beer is crystal clear.
Fault: It's water. Someone is trying to sober you up.
Action: Punch them.

Symptom: Hand hurts, nose hurts, mind unusually clear.
Fault: You've been in a fight.
Action: Apologise to everyone you see, just in case it was them.

Symptom: Don't recognise anyone, don't recognise the room you're in.
Fault: You've wandered into the wrong party.
Action: See if they have free beer.

Symptom: Your singing sounds distorted.
Fault: The beer is too weak.
Action: Have more beer until your voice improves.

Symptom: Don't remember the words to the song.
Fault: Beer is just right.
Action: Play air guitar.

:D:D:D

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Does drinking help or hurt your game?

Multiple choices are allowed on the poll.

It's been a very long time that I haven't been drinking while playing. I enjoy drinking. I enjoy playing. I don't love the game enough anymore to stop drinking and enjoy myself. I seem to win enough tournaments to justify that my balanced enjoyment is worth it.

Fred <~~~ multi-tasker

9BallPaul

Banned
Between beers #2 and #5, my game improves. After that, all bets are off. And I never crack the Jameson until the cue is hanging in the rack.

paksat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played last night with a couple pitchers in me and i'm going to do my best to make sure that never happens again.

I couldn't even manage to look 3 balls ahead and when I can normally plan the whole table between 5-10 seconds.

Excellent potting skills saved my @ss but what should have been a blowout, if I was sober, turned into a close game due to intoxication (imo).

gunzby

My light saber is LD
Silver Member
One or two beers won't hurt as far as I know, but more than that it is downhill.

So far as getting drunk I would say that it hurts anyone's game. Not only would that hurt my game, but if I get tanked the night before it will hurt my game the next day as I obviously wouldn't be 100%.

gunzby

My light saber is LD
Silver Member
There are actually two things that I do where I don't drink and a lot of people do. I don't drink while playing and I don't drink while fishing. When I am doing those two things I am two busy with those activities to be concerned with drinking a beer.

ridewiththewind

&#9829; Hippie Hustler &#9829;
Silver Member
It's been a very long time that I haven't been drinking while playing. I enjoy drinking. I enjoy playing. I don't love the game enough anymore to stop drinking and enjoy myself. I seem to win enough tournaments to justify that my balanced enjoyment is worth it.

Fred <~~~ multi-tasker

Great minds think alike! :yeah:

Lisa

crawfish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Laugh if you will, but muscle memory and drinking and playing go hand in hand for me. Most money I've ever won, I had drank 16 over a period of about seven hours. Between 3-10, I'll play loose and fresh. After 10 or so, I'm sure I drop off a little. Depends on the time line. My body couldn't perform without a Miller Lite. The muscles aren't used to playing sober. That'd be weird. I'm sure if I began playing sober 25 years ago, drinking would be negative. But, if you've drank every time you've played, your body gets used to that same feeling. I play alot on instinct and feel. Not very good mechanics in general. I jump up on shots, have a weird shortened stroke, and have absolutely no concentration. Maybe I should quit.

PegLeg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One or two beers before playing or during the first game help me to loosen up and I shoot better. After that all bets are off.

If I am playing with friends for fun then I will drink as much or as little as I feel like. Depends on my mood.

Of course my level of drinking depends on if I am driving. If I am driving then I limit myself to either 2 mixed drinks or 3 to 4 beers. After that I call my wife or a cab.

THE PICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Eddie Taylor never missed a ball when he had a few. I play just as bad when I drink as when I don/t. If the spot is right I will still take a peek at it.

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
1-3 drinks and I don't really notice any difference. After that, my focus suffers and I become inconsistent. I do drink, but many people I play pool with think I don't because I don't usually drink while playing, and when I do it's never very much. I like drinking, and I like playing pool, but I despise not performing at my highest level while playing pool.

-Andrew

Doug

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool and alcohol

Intake of alcohol will not improve performance in any contest that requires hand to eye coordination. This was explained to me when I was asserting that one or two beers didn't make a difference in performance to a Dr. buddy of mine. He said it had been proven that an expert marksman could not group shots as closely after one beer and that pro tennis players could not judge the bounce of the ball as accurately after one beer. Sure, I have seen some pool players play fantastic and have a beer at or in hand continuously but never become intoxicated. Those people have developed a dependence on the tranquilizing effect of alcohol in the same way that some people got to have a cigarette while playing. Neither the nicotin or the alcohol is beneficial.