Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page No matter how well YOU play, your losing opponent says, "I played so bad!"
Page 1 of 4 1 23 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
No matter how well YOU play, your losing opponent says, "I played so bad!"
Old
  (#1)
BillPorter
AzB Silver Member
BillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

No matter how well YOU play, your losing opponent says, "I played so bad!" - 06-20-2009, 06:45 AM

Does it irritate you when you beat a guy and play well to do it and then hear him say, "Boy, I really played terrible today!" In other words, he gives you NO credit for winning and playing well, he just acts as though the only reason you won was that he played below par that day. I know two or three regulars at the pool hall who NEVER compliment their opponent on his good play, they just bemoan the fact that THEIR play was poor that day.

After giving it a little thought, I have a suggestion for those of you, like me, who are irritated by the "I played SOOOO bad" guys. Next time it happens to you, maybe you should say something like, "You think YOU played bad, ME, I'm the one who played just terrible! I don't remember EVER playing as bad as I played today. Geez, I hope I NEVER have another session where my game is off this much. Have you EVER seen me miss so many shots?"

OK, I know this may not help all that much, but at least it gives you something to toss back at the guy.

Regards,
Bill Porter
http://billporter.smugmug.com/

Old
  (#2)
Cuebuddy
Vege-table
Cuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

06-20-2009, 06:54 AM

Break and runs will usally put a stop to their excuses. I try to remind myself when I lose that you really don't play anyone but the table.

Cuebuddy

"Everytime you shoot...I'm terrified."
Chisolm W

"14-1, 9 ball, 8 ball whats the difference....you put balls in holes."
Measureman

Old
  (#3)
Hierovision
Dios mio, man.
Hierovision has a reputation beyond reputeHierovision has a reputation beyond reputeHierovision has a reputation beyond reputeHierovision has a reputation beyond reputeHierovision has a reputation beyond reputeHierovision has a reputation beyond reputeHierovision has a reputation beyond reputeHierovision has a reputation beyond reputeHierovision has a reputation beyond reputeHierovision has a reputation beyond reputeHierovision has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 5750

06-20-2009, 06:57 AM

I play a guy on a regular basis that will usually say "I beat myself" no matter how well I play. Eventually I said "Yeah I'm sure I had nothing to do with it" and he calmed down a bit, but he still says it now and then. I definitely hate playing him, but he helps me train my mental game. People like that need to shut the **** up and keep those comments to themselves. The last thing I want to hear when I play well is a comment taking away from my performance.

-{Zack Nichols}-
The most inconsistent B player on Earth

I'm in love with Kurzweil's Country Meats.

Billiards blogs I read regularly:
Billiards Traveler
OMGWTF's MassiveUnderstatement

Old
  (#4)
BillPorter
AzB Silver Member
BillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond repute

06-20-2009, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuebuddy View Post
Break and runs will usally put a stop to their excuses. I try to remind myself when I lose that you really don't play anyone but the table.
I agree about the "break and runs," but as I am a one-pocket player, break and runs are rare as hens teeth. As for the idea that "you really don't play anyone but the table," I have found that the table looks much tougher against some one-pocket opponents than it does against others!

Regards,
Bill Porter

Exactly!
Old
  (#5)
BillPorter
AzB Silver Member

Exactly! - 06-20-2009, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hierovision View Post
I play a guy on a regular basis that will usually say "I beat myself" no matter how well I play. Eventually I said "Yeah I'm sure I had nothing to do with it" and he calmed down a bit, but he still says it now and then. I definitely hate playing him, but he helps me train my mental game. People like that need to shut the **** up and keep those comments to themselves. The last thing I want to hear when I play well is a comment taking away from my performance.
Sounds like you have had some similar experiences.

Regards,
Bill Porter

Old
  (#6)
poolplayer2093
AzB Silver Member
poolplayer2093 has a reputation beyond reputepoolplayer2093 has a reputation beyond reputepoolplayer2093 has a reputation beyond reputepoolplayer2093 has a reputation beyond reputepoolplayer2093 has a reputation beyond reputepoolplayer2093 has a reputation beyond reputepoolplayer2093 has a reputation beyond reputepoolplayer2093 has a reputation beyond reputepoolplayer2093 has a reputation beyond reputepoolplayer2093 has a reputation beyond reputepoolplayer2093 has a reputation beyond repute

06-20-2009, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillPorter View Post
Does it irritate you when you beat a guy and play well to do it and then hear him say, "Boy, I really played terrible today!" In other words, he gives you NO credit for winning and playing well, he just acts as though the only reason you won was that he played below par that day. I know two or three regulars at the pool hall who NEVER compliment their opponent on his good play, they just bemoan the fact that THEIR play was poor that day.

After giving it a little thought, I have a suggestion for those of you, like me, who are irritated by the "I played SOOOO bad" guys. Next time it happens to you, maybe you should say something like, "You think YOU played bad, ME, I'm the one who played just terrible! I don't remember EVER playing as bad as I played today. Geez, I hope I NEVER have another session where my game is off this much. Have you EVER seen me miss so many shots?"

OK, I know this may not help all that much, but at least it gives you something to toss back at the guy.

sometimes it bothers me but i don't let it get to me. i've had other guys play really good and it seems to put me in a coma. you guys have had it happen right? you're breaking good and put a rack or two together then when you break dry your opponent is hooked

sometimes when someone plays well the other guy can't get it started. like when efren shut out jimmy wetch.

Old
  (#7)
CocoboloCowboy
Cowboys are my heros.
CocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1538

06-20-2009, 07:00 AM

Quote:
This is a normal human reaction. When I get beat I know why, when I am player with someone who make a GREAT SHOW I say something to them to let them know it was a GREAT SHOT IMO.

Defeat is a form of rejection, and people hate being rejected. Great Salesmen hand rejection well, because it goes with sales.

Old
  (#8)
TX Poolnut
🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
TX Poolnut has a reputation beyond reputeTX Poolnut has a reputation beyond reputeTX Poolnut has a reputation beyond reputeTX Poolnut has a reputation beyond reputeTX Poolnut has a reputation beyond reputeTX Poolnut has a reputation beyond reputeTX Poolnut has a reputation beyond reputeTX Poolnut has a reputation beyond reputeTX Poolnut has a reputation beyond reputeTX Poolnut has a reputation beyond reputeTX Poolnut has a reputation beyond repute

06-20-2009, 07:02 AM

Noboby likes a sore winner.

Old
  (#9)
Cornerman
Cue Author...Sometimes
Cornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

06-20-2009, 07:04 AM

Quote:
I hate it. Like my runouts at every opportunity had nothing to do with it.

There's also the more passive slap where they say something like, "sorry I couldn't give you my normal game, but I my team captain will be happy that I lost."

Fred

--------

Name: Freddie Agnir
Shooting Cue: 2017 Tascarella (w/blokid extension) or Schuler SC-250
Breaking Cue: BK Rush

Playing time: just a hair above zero
--------

"I don't care if you win, just cover the spread!"

- Annie Potts (Memaw from Young Sheldon)

Last edited by Cornerman; 06-20-2009 at 08:45 AM.

Old
  (#10)
duckie
GregH
duckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond repute

06-20-2009, 07:17 AM

Why should anyone give you a pat on the back for playing a good game? That's what you are to do at all times.

I don't care one bit on why the other persond thinks they lost. I only care about how I won and to do it again.

Old
  (#11)
crawfish
AzB Silver Member
crawfish has a reputation beyond reputecrawfish has a reputation beyond reputecrawfish has a reputation beyond reputecrawfish has a reputation beyond reputecrawfish has a reputation beyond reputecrawfish has a reputation beyond reputecrawfish has a reputation beyond reputecrawfish has a reputation beyond reputecrawfish has a reputation beyond reputecrawfish has a reputation beyond reputecrawfish has a reputation beyond repute

06-20-2009, 07:26 AM

I can't help myself when this happens, being the a$$ that I am.

"Yeah, I know you play bad sometimes, but not that bad. Thanks for letting me just hang in there with you. I didn't even have to show up. I had a bad day at work. I do appreciate you not making me concentrate so hard. Wanna beer?"

"Yeah, they all have a gameplan 'til I hit'em in the face."

And I'm Still Sportin' McLovin

Last edited by crawfish; 06-20-2009 at 07:33 AM.

Old
  (#12)
Voodoo Daddy
One Pocket 101
Voodoo Daddy has a reputation beyond reputeVoodoo Daddy has a reputation beyond reputeVoodoo Daddy has a reputation beyond reputeVoodoo Daddy has a reputation beyond reputeVoodoo Daddy has a reputation beyond reputeVoodoo Daddy has a reputation beyond reputeVoodoo Daddy has a reputation beyond reputeVoodoo Daddy has a reputation beyond reputeVoodoo Daddy has a reputation beyond reputeVoodoo Daddy has a reputation beyond reputeVoodoo Daddy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 9475

06-20-2009, 07:27 AM

If you played run-out pool I will say so but if I did in fact play bad I have no trouble saying that too. Most important is that "W" and it really doesnt matter how you get it. When I read a box score and its shows 15 wins and 1 lose, sure as hell dont say how that team won

Voodoo~~makes it point to say "good match" either way.

Another option
Old
  (#13)
BillPorter
AzB Silver Member

Another option - 06-20-2009, 07:44 AM

I just thought of another rejoinder when your opponent attributes your victory to their bad play. How about when they say, "Man, I played SOOO bad!", you say, "Gee, I don't think you played bad at all. In fact, I would rate your play today as well above your average level."

Regards,
Bill Porter

Old
  (#14)
Jody C

vCash:

06-20-2009, 07:57 AM

I play a guy who always come with the phrase I can't play for such a small amount of money when he loses. My record against him is 30 wins and 1 loss in 14.1. I confessed, oh well, it must be me.

Old
  (#15)
bigshooter
<--vs Chuck Norris on TAR
bigshooter has a reputation beyond reputebigshooter has a reputation beyond reputebigshooter has a reputation beyond reputebigshooter has a reputation beyond reputebigshooter has a reputation beyond reputebigshooter has a reputation beyond reputebigshooter has a reputation beyond reputebigshooter has a reputation beyond reputebigshooter has a reputation beyond reputebigshooter has a reputation beyond reputebigshooter has a reputation beyond repute

06-20-2009, 07:58 AM

Just say "Yeah, I have that effect on everyone, don't feel bad" its sort of like your agreeing but taking credit at the same time.

Page 1 of 4 1 23 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: