Pool Wars
Old
  (#1)
gunzby
My light saber is LD
gunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 17375

Pool Wars - 06-22-2009, 11:15 PM

I just received my copy today. Since Jay was out of town I ordered a copy off of Amazon from Freddy the Beard. First of all I have to say that Mr. Beard got this book shipped to me faster than any package I can ever remember ordering from anywhere. I ordered the book Friday night and got it Monday afternoon.....amazing.

So far it's a great read. I haven't sat down to read a book in years (thousands of newspapers and magazines, but no non-instructional books), but I have read half this book already. The only reason why I put it down was if I wanted to have something to read tomorrow I couldn't hog it all down today.

The last time I remember really sitting down to read a book was well over a decade ago. They were mainly history books as fiction never has been able to keep my attention outside of a few choice books (Underground Empire being one of them).

Great book Jay!! I could easily sit down and read the entire book in one sitting without having a thought of doing something else even if it was twice the length.

Yes my custom cue also doubles as a light saber. You might say that it shoots lights out. You are now activated Agent 92395. Obtain the funds from Goldman Sachs and deposit into my Swiss account. This message will make you shit your pants in 5 seconds. Sev found it first.

Old
  (#2)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people
jay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

06-23-2009, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunzby View Post
I just received my copy today. Since Jay was out of town I ordered a copy off of Amazon from Freddy the Beard. First of all I have to say that Mr. Beard got this book shipped to me faster than any package I can ever remember ordering from anywhere. I ordered the book Friday night and got it Monday afternoon.....amazing.

So far it's a great read. I haven't sat down to read a book in years (thousands of newspapers and magazines, but no non-instructional books), but I have read half this book already. The only reason why I put it down was if I wanted to have something to read tomorrow I couldn't hog it all down today.

The last time I remember really sitting down to read a book was well over a decade ago. They were mainly history books as fiction never has been able to keep my attention outside of a few choice books (Underground Empire being one of them).

Great book Jay!! I could easily sit down and read the entire book in one sitting without having a thought of doing something else even if it was twice the length.
Thanks buddy. It is comments like this that make me want to write more books. I really wanted to do Playing With Fire with Bobby "Cotton" Leblanc but we haven't been able to work out the details as yet. His story is similar to mine only a little more sinister with a very motley cast of characters. Cotton was one of the favorite poolplayers of the mob guys in the 60's and 70's. He was also a top speed road man.

I have another book in progress that is VERY different. It is a compiliation of about a million tricks and tips that can help one be a better player (and a winning one at that). Kind of a lifetime of learning boiled into one book. 99% of it has never been in any instructional book before. It is not about proper stance, proper grip and how to line up a shot. In other words not a typical instructional book by any means. It has more to do with the mental side of the game, and lots of little things that many players (even some very good ones) don't know about. I've mentioned a few of these things on here over the years, like how to shoot at the cue ball when it is on the rail and never miscue. That little tip hasn't been in any book yet.

I wanted to call it The Zen Of Pool, but Max Eberle already has a book out with a similar title. If any of you have ever read Harvey Penick's "Little Red Book", that is more what this book would be like. The Little Red Book is the all time best selling golf book, similar to the Inner Game of Tennis. I actually started writing this book over ten years ago, but it was just too overwhelming to complete. I literally have a file full of notes. I had no way to organize it all. Now I have a better idea how to accomplish this. Does this sound like something you'd be interested in reading? I sure hope so because it may take me another year to complete it.

http://www.jayhelfert.com/ to order More Pool Wars

Old
  (#3)
Impact Blue
AzB Silver Member
Impact Blue has a reputation beyond reputeImpact Blue has a reputation beyond reputeImpact Blue has a reputation beyond reputeImpact Blue has a reputation beyond reputeImpact Blue has a reputation beyond reputeImpact Blue has a reputation beyond reputeImpact Blue has a reputation beyond reputeImpact Blue has a reputation beyond reputeImpact Blue has a reputation beyond reputeImpact Blue has a reputation beyond reputeImpact Blue has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25

06-23-2009, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay helfert View Post
Does this sound like something you'd be interested in reading?
Yes times 10,000. Can we start hounding you for it now? lol!

Jay
Old
  (#4)
RascalDoc
RascalDoc
RascalDoc has a reputation beyond reputeRascalDoc has a reputation beyond reputeRascalDoc has a reputation beyond reputeRascalDoc has a reputation beyond reputeRascalDoc has a reputation beyond reputeRascalDoc has a reputation beyond reputeRascalDoc has a reputation beyond reputeRascalDoc has a reputation beyond reputeRascalDoc has a reputation beyond reputeRascalDoc has a reputation beyond reputeRascalDoc has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to RascalDoc Send a message via MSN to RascalDoc Send a message via Yahoo to RascalDoc  
Jay - 06-23-2009, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Thanks buddy. It is comments like this that make me want to write more books. I really wanted to do Playing With Fire with Bobby "Cotton" Leblanc but we haven't been able to work out the details as yet. His story is similar to mine only a little more sinister with a very motley cast of characters. Cotton was one of the favorite poolplayers of the mob guys in the 60's and 70's. He was also a top speed road man.

I have another book in progress that is VERY different. It is a compiliation of about a million tricks and tips that can help one be a better player (and a winning one at that). Kind of a lifetime of learning boiled into one book. 99% of it has never been in any instructional book before. It is not about proper stance, proper grip and how to line up a shot. In other words not a typical instructional book by any means. It has more to do with the mental side of the game, and lots of little things that many players (even some very good ones) don't know about. I've mentioned a few of these things on here over the years, like how to shoot at the cue ball when it is on the rail and never miscue. That little tip hasn't been in any book yet.

I wanted to call it The Zen Of Pool, but Max Eberle already has a book out with a similar title. If any of you have ever read Harvey Penick's "Little Red Book", that is more what this book would be like. The Little Red Book is the all time best selling golf book, similar to the Inner Game of Tennis. I actually started writing this book over ten years ago, but it was just too overwhelming to complete. I literally have a file full of notes. I had no way to organize it all. Now I have a better idea how to accomplish this. Does this sound like something you'd be interested in reading? I sure hope so because it may take me another year to complete it.
Count me in. When will it be done? :})

Doc W.
--------------
Struggles, losses, hardships, will happen. Misery, is a choice

Anonymous : "When you are up to your @$$ in alligators it's hard to remember your original intent was to drain the swamp"

Old
  (#5)
gunzby
My light saber is LD
gunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 17375

06-23-2009, 08:18 AM

Quote:

I would definitely be interested in reading any of the books you have in the works.

Yes my custom cue also doubles as a light saber. You might say that it shoots lights out. You are now activated Agent 92395. Obtain the funds from Goldman Sachs and deposit into my Swiss account. This message will make you shit your pants in 5 seconds. Sev found it first.

Old
  (#6)
teedotaj
teedot oohhhhhh
teedotaj has a reputation beyond reputeteedotaj has a reputation beyond reputeteedotaj has a reputation beyond reputeteedotaj has a reputation beyond reputeteedotaj has a reputation beyond reputeteedotaj has a reputation beyond reputeteedotaj has a reputation beyond reputeteedotaj has a reputation beyond reputeteedotaj has a reputation beyond reputeteedotaj has a reputation beyond reputeteedotaj has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 600

06-23-2009, 08:30 AM

doo it doo it!

Aaron

"Let not a covetous desire of winning another's money engage you to the losing of your own."

Old
  (#7)
XxMerlinxX
Pleased As Punch
XxMerlinxX has a reputation beyond reputeXxMerlinxX has a reputation beyond reputeXxMerlinxX has a reputation beyond reputeXxMerlinxX has a reputation beyond reputeXxMerlinxX has a reputation beyond reputeXxMerlinxX has a reputation beyond reputeXxMerlinxX has a reputation beyond reputeXxMerlinxX has a reputation beyond reputeXxMerlinxX has a reputation beyond reputeXxMerlinxX has a reputation beyond reputeXxMerlinxX has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1400
  Send a message via AIM to XxMerlinxX  
06-23-2009, 08:41 AM

Jay, what kind of tricks and tips are we talking about here? Like signing an "x" ontop of the pocket that your opponent will be shooting at?

Old
  (#8)
bfdlad
T-Wheels
bfdlad has a reputation beyond reputebfdlad has a reputation beyond reputebfdlad has a reputation beyond reputebfdlad has a reputation beyond reputebfdlad has a reputation beyond reputebfdlad has a reputation beyond reputebfdlad has a reputation beyond reputebfdlad has a reputation beyond reputebfdlad has a reputation beyond reputebfdlad has a reputation beyond reputebfdlad has a reputation beyond repute

06-23-2009, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunzby View Post

I could not agree more. I would try and not read it all at once so I could go back and read some more later. It is a great book, if you have not ordered it yet I think you should you will enjoy it.

Old
  (#9)
BillPorter
AzB Silver Member
BillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond repute

06-23-2009, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Jay, IMHO, this book, if done well, will be the one that garners the greatest sales and will be the one you will be best known for. I would be glad to do proof reading for you on this one!

Regards,
Bill Porter
http://billporter.smugmug.com/

Ditto for me
Old
  (#10)
fatrascal
AzB Bronze Member
fatrascal will become famous soon enough

Ditto for me - 06-23-2009, 01:34 PM

You can count me in as very intrested. Pool Wars has been very entertaining. You lived on the edge at times. Glad to see that you survived the 'rougher edges'.

Old
  (#11)
Thecoats
AzB Silver Member
Thecoats has a reputation beyond reputeThecoats has a reputation beyond reputeThecoats has a reputation beyond reputeThecoats has a reputation beyond reputeThecoats has a reputation beyond reputeThecoats has a reputation beyond reputeThecoats has a reputation beyond reputeThecoats has a reputation beyond reputeThecoats has a reputation beyond reputeThecoats has a reputation beyond reputeThecoats has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25

06-23-2009, 03:52 PM

Count me in Jay, but I would like more pictures:-)

-don

Old
  (#12)
BRKNRUN
Showin some A$$
BRKNRUN has a reputation beyond reputeBRKNRUN has a reputation beyond reputeBRKNRUN has a reputation beyond reputeBRKNRUN has a reputation beyond reputeBRKNRUN has a reputation beyond reputeBRKNRUN has a reputation beyond reputeBRKNRUN has a reputation beyond reputeBRKNRUN has a reputation beyond reputeBRKNRUN has a reputation beyond reputeBRKNRUN has a reputation beyond reputeBRKNRUN has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4430

06-23-2009, 04:25 PM

I don't read much myself...just can't find the time to sit down and read...I found the only chance I was getting to read the book was OTJ....No...Not OJT for On the Job....It was OTJ...

Anyway...a few times I ended up in there so long my wife knocked on the door...."Are you OK???" ....."I'm fine"............"Oh............................OK "

KEN

Old
  (#13)
EZMoney
Could this be your money?
EZMoney has a reputation beyond reputeEZMoney has a reputation beyond reputeEZMoney has a reputation beyond reputeEZMoney has a reputation beyond reputeEZMoney has a reputation beyond reputeEZMoney has a reputation beyond reputeEZMoney has a reputation beyond reputeEZMoney has a reputation beyond reputeEZMoney has a reputation beyond reputeEZMoney has a reputation beyond reputeEZMoney has a reputation beyond repute

06-23-2009, 06:28 PM

Jay, this is a really good book. I look forward to reading your new one. It sounds like a angle only a good short stop could tell.

Old
  (#14)
JimS
Grandpa & his grand boys.
JimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4050
Location: Jim Sward 311 E. Main, Suite 317 Galesburg, Il 61401

06-23-2009, 06:39 PM

I"d love to have you make available a book like that. That's the kind of thing that a lesson from Little Joe produces... hidden treasures. I don't mean to hype Joe's stuff on your thread.. only to point out that it's the pro's secrets that come out when you get to spend time with a pro and that's what a book like this would be like... a book like you're anticipation would be like spending quality one-on-one time with a pro friend.

People will buy it like popcorn and ice cream, potato chips and french fries.

"The average man seeks certainty in the eye of the onlooker and calls that self-confidence.
The warrior seeks impeccability in his own eye and calls that humbleness."
Carlos Castenada

"Make no distinction between the difficult and the less difficult shot but apply yourself completely to each opportunity to strike a pool ball". Mark Wilson

"No nonchalantin at the pool table!" Sailor

Live like somebody left the gate open!

Old
  (#15)
Fatboy
AzB Silver Member
Fatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2400

06-23-2009, 07:59 PM

Quote:

That would be one hell of a book, "Cotton" is a good friend of mine and heard some of his road stories, some pool, and some other spots he was in over the years, man what a book that would be. with Cottons tails and Jays writing that would be amazing.

OG member of the Lock Society members or OG-LS;

Just call me Fat-Lock

im getting old and sloppy....

Page 1 of 3 1 23

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: