Do pool players actually believe what comes out of their mouths

kryptonite9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lets hear them:

What have you heard a pool player say and you thought,
Can he actually believe what he is saying?

Some of my favorites. (Followed by what really is going on)

I haven't hit a ball in a month. (But drove 3 hrs to get here for this tournament)

I never play pool. (Yet I see you 3 times a week in a pool room)

I don't really play hard for 100 a game. (BTW can I borrow 40 bucks)

The more money I play for the better I play. (BTW can I borrow another 40 bucks)

I don't play for 20 a set. (Can I at least borrow 20 dollars)

My backer will be here if we bet 10,000. Any less is a waste of his time. (Sure I bet he will)

I play better than him. (Even though he finishes higher than me in every tournament and beats me gambling)

I play better than everyone. (Even though I never won anything)

I hustled my way thru college. (No you didn't)

You never really seen me play my REAL game. (What exactly are you waiting for?).

I lost cuz I got bored. (Even though we only played two races to five)

I don't like playing people who don't win anything. (Even though I just lost to them).

I don't have any oportunities to get better. (While I sit in a pool room watching Cash Cab)

I'm not going to get in a bad game and lose 50. (I will just put 200 in a poker machine, like slot machine are a great proposition)

matcase

Blondie's #1 fan
Silver Member
many of those are favorites of mine as well. The hell of it is, it ain't just pool players. It's everyone; all groups and demographics across earth say stuff like this. Of course some more than others. What I think is important, however is this..."everybody talks some bs. this is ok. it is when you faithfully believe your bs that you have pole vaulted over that boarder that separates bs from mental illness." M.A.T.

hangemhigh

Known Sinner
Silver Member
many of those are favorites of mine as well. The hell of it is, it ain't just pool players. It's everyone; all groups and demographics across earth say stuff like this. Of course some more than others. What I think is important, however is this..."everybody talks some bs. this is ok. it is when you faithfully believe your bs that you have pole vaulted over that boarder that separates bs from mental illness." M.A.T.

I like the one where the guy says " I play way better than my MATCASE looks"...LOL, you know he is lying.

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Funny

The best one that I have heard a lot over the years is:

"I hustled my way thru college"....... LOL

They all can't shoot pool to saved their lives. Now that's funny. I think that they might of won a few bucks off their drunk buddies and over the years. They really believe they are good.

Last edited:

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lets hear them:

I haven't hit a ball in a month. (But drove 3 hrs to get here for this tournament)

The more money I play for the better I play. (BTW can I borrow another 40 bucks)

My backer will be here if we bet 10,000. Any less is a waste of his time. (Sure I bet he will)

I play better than him. (Even though he finishes higher than me in every tournament and beats me gambling)

You never really seen me play my REAL game. (What exactly are you waiting for?).

I don't like playing people who don't win anything. (Even though I just lost to them).

I don't have any oportunities to get better. (While I sit in a pool room watching Cash Cab)

I'm not going to get in a bad game and lose 50. (I will just put 200 in a poker machine, like slot machine are a great proposition)

Dude.....to hell with all that!.....lets get together and hit some. You know you can give me 60 to 100.....or the 6 would be maybe fair?

what?....your not gonna add me to your list are you? !

hows it goin K-dog?

I'm always practicing here at the house if you want a work out...

G.

Cuephoric

1hole anyone?
Silver Member
I give him the 8 (anyone,doesn't matter if they've ever even heard of them before now. AND it's a better player)

Yesterday,I hit that same shot 100 times on so and so for the cash. (On an Efren like bank/cut/carom with draw/combo)

I played alot more when I was younger (from a college freshman)

"He doesn't look so tough" (Hardtimes Jamboree spectator in '06 watching John Schmidt)

How can these guys be playing in a tournament this big,when they scuk so bad at 8ball...I'd have put it in the side and ran out!They must just be rich and looking for guys like me to donate a ton to...( Same guy watching Bobby Hunter play a safety in one pocket)

I could have been a pro years ago,but I didn't want people to know that I can play (apa sl4 on a barbox in Baggs Wyoming,Pop.300.)

kryptonite9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dude.....to hell with all that!.....lets get together and hit some. You know you can give me 60 to 100.....or the 6 would be maybe fair?

what?....your not gonna add me to your list are you? !

hows it goin K-dog?

I'm always practicing here at the house if you want a work out...

G.

Now that Gerry chimed in, I got another one.

My name is Gerry and I gamble. (Even though I wouldn't bet a dollar that water is wet).

Just kidding. Straight pool is even. I'll give you the 6, if we play even one pocket.

Race to 100 straight. For 100.
Race to 8 9ball. You get the six. For 100.
Even one pocket. Race 3. For 100.

kryptonite9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I give him the 8 (anyone,doesn't matter if they've ever even heard of them before now. AND it's a better player)

Haha,

I know two people. One plays the 7 better than everyone on the planet. The other gives everyone the 8. I don't think I've seen them book a winner in a year.

RRfireblade

Grammer Are For Stupids
Silver Member
The only two I really get tired of hearing is . . .

"I used to really play good before . . . "

(Before reality?)

And my all time favorite , even if you just finished making a reversed cut two rail bank combo to win the game . . .

"Nice shot , I used to play with this guy that 'insert rediculous statement here' . . . "

(Can't actually remember his name tho)

mullyman

Hung Like a Gnat!
Silver Member
This thread reminds me of my favorite pool joke:

Q: How many pool players does it take to screw in a light bulb?

A: 5. One to change the bulb and four to stand around saying "Pbbth, I can do that."

MULLY
I actually have driven way out of my way to play in a tournament after not hitting a ball in more than a month so that one isn't always BS

accustatsfan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"I saw it on youtube" (nobody heard of person who made the video).

"These are the real rules not cheater rules" (person has never left town or read a rulebook).

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lets hear them:

Oh my god! you're totally right. i hear this kind of stuff all the time and i just take it for granted that it's bs. but after reading all of this it really hit me. i know people that say everything that's on this list.

hell i even said that " i don't play enough" line the day after i played. but really i don't play "seriously" much. not enough practice/competition

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This thread reminds me of my favorite pool joke:

Q: How many pool players does it take to screw in a light bulb?

A: 5. One to change the bulb and four to stand around saying "Pbbth, I can do that."

MULLY
I actually have driven way out of my way to play in a tournament after not hitting a ball in more than a month so that one isn't always BS

i've done this too. the result was about what i expected. played like a dog

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Now that Gerry chimed in, I got another one.

My name is Gerry and I gamble. (Even though I wouldn't bet a dollar that water is wet).

Just kidding. Straight pool is even. I'll give you the 6, if we play even one pocket.

Race to 100 straight. For 100.
Race to 8 9ball. You get the six. For 100.
Even one pocket. Race 3. For 100.

no no no, you know I don't ask for weight! we just need to stretch out the races a bit is all

14.1 to 200
10ball race to 7
1 pocket race to 4

that way I can stretch it out and maybe you will get tired! :D

oh and we gotta play at a neutral site....no Classics...or that tricked up trap at your house!.....my table is O.K......:cool:

G.

lady9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Hey, you must know my husband! He's a great guy but he lives in a fantasy world sometimes. :)

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The best one that I have heard a lot over the years is:

"I hustled my way thru college"....... LOL

They all can't shoot pool to saved their lives. Now that's funny. I think that they might of won a few bucks off their drunk buddies and over the years. They really believe they are good.

I was in a room a couple years ago when a guy claimed he paid his way through his freshman year in college playing pool. A local guy ran all over him in some cheap sets and I told him afterward he should have asked the guy where he went to college so we could all move there and get rich.

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember one time I was with a pretty good player from Denver (AAA) and we ran into someone that I knew but the good player didn't. He played about A speed in Colorado (C-AAA+) They were just having a beer (I didn't introduce anybody ;) ) and started talking about pool. The first (A) player says "I'm probably in about the top 20 or so in the state. The other (AAA) player said "Heck, I'm not even in the top 100, but I'd like to gamble with you some. I don't mind losing to great players."

Of course we know what happened from there :)

~rc

pooljunkie4ever

Grab Life by the BALL!
Silver Member
How about this one,
I played a long time ago, "did it for beer money". LOL.. We play and the person can't make a ball on a bar table.:grin:

I have a friend that can beat anyone, "sorry I lost his phone number"

someone that owes you, "I will pay next week"

PatH

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like
"I always play better with a few beers under my belt" (Usually a 12 pack)
"I always play better when I've smoked a little in the parking lot"
"I always play better when I do a line or two"

PatH