Purpose of Open Tournaments

jjinfla

Banned
To me it appears that the Women are on the right path to have some semblance of rhyme or reason to get pool recognized by the public. They have various Open tournaments throughout the States, the only one I really am familiar with is the Spirit Tour in central Florida, where the women can compete on a regular basis. The best in these tournaments then can move up to the WPBA where they can compete against the very best and have the chance of being on TV. That is a great carrot to hold in front of them to strive for excellence and keep competing.

Then you look at the men. They have various Open tournaments where they can compete, Tom Kennedy's for one, but if they move to the top there is really no place for them to go to receive national prominance. No promise of being on TV and the lucrative sponsor contracts that can bring. If a person plays in one of these Open tournaments and comes in 9-12 he may win $65. But it cost him $50 for the entrance fee, overnight expense, travel expense, and two days out of his life. So it sure is not financially rewarding. Then of course the person who wins these Open tournaments is then challanged by some top player who just happened to finish 5th or lower but ends up taking the winners winnings plus more.

Gambling is where it's at for the top men players.

Charlie Williams had a pretty good idea when he formed the UPA but unfortunately he tried to do too much, too fast, and kept shooting himself in the foot. As a result he has alienated fans, players, and pool hall owners. But he has the foundation for forming a very good professional league. Just look at the players who will play for him. The Predator Tournament last year at Pro Billiards, or the Patriot Cup in Tampa are prime examples. All the current top guns were willing to play for him.

If the powers to be could pattern the UPA after the WPBA, as far as having monthly (almost) tournaments, and a recognized ranking system then Professional Pool might have a chance in the USA. And excluding Earl Strickland from the UPA is just plain assinine. Just think of all the fans (money) you are losing who would love to come and badger poor old Earl. LOL And remember, if you want to move pool up to the status that it deserves then you have to play to the audiance - the fans. that is where the money comes from. that's who the sponsors really care about.

Just my observations.

Jake

Rickw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Open Tournaments

"To me it appears that the Women are on the right path to have some semblance of rhyme or reason to get pool recognized by the public. They have various Open tournaments throughout the States, the only one I really am familiar with is the Spirit Tour in central Florida, where the women can compete on a regular basis. The best in these tournaments then can move up to the WPBA where they can compete against the very best and have the chance of being on TV. That is a great carrot to hold in front of them to strive for excellence and keep competing."

Isn't this sort of similar to the PBA - Professional Bowling Association?

".....but if they move to the top there is really no place for them to go to receive national prominance. No promise of being on TV and the lucrative sponsor contracts that can bring."

What should come first, the regional open qualitying tournaments or the national televised tournaments? I sure hope someone figures it all out. I love this game, and I really enjoy watching the top players compete!

Vicki

Mrs. Capone
Silver Member
You make some very good points here, Jake. It really doesn't make much sense to me to have a Players Association (UPA) and no tour. It seems like they'd be better off scheduling a few tournaments rather than starting a "union".

It's funny because pool is the only sport where the women have a tour and the men don't. Golf, tennis, bowling, basketball, socccer... all have scheduled tournaments and are governed by some organizing body. But not men's pool.

They have put the cart before the horse with this UPA thing. Not that the UPA concept is a bad thing - it's not. It's just that it's useless if the players don't have tournaments to play in.

A lot of lessons could be learned in pool by observing tennis, IMO. I think the format would be good for pool. Also, there is one governing body, with different divisions (ie - mens, womens, doubles, mixed doubles) and separate events for each division. No OPEN tournaments.

I hate that in pool we have an OPEN tournament and a WOMEN'S tournament. There should be MEN'S and WOMEN'S and that's it. No co-ed tournaments. It's not done that way in most other sports. I hope that Sorenstein (sp?) makes an ass of herself trying to play in a men's golf event. What a joke. Nothing good can come from this.

;) If I were the Pool God, that's how it would be. ;)

I realize I've gotten a little on my soap box here but I cannot think of one good reason that pool has no tour. The players must be discouraged at this point. There are fewer and fewer independent events for them to play in and still no tour. There is almost no money to be made in the industry in the absense of a tour - and not just for the players - for the entire industry - manufacturers, distributers, dealers, pool rooms, media - accross the board we are a poor industry.

Enough pissing and moaning. If you can't offer a positive solution keep your mouth shut, right? It's easy to sit back in the bleachers and complain but not so easy to get involved and make it better. It's two different things to claim to have all the answers and to be able to implement the solutions. I don't have the answers and I am not in a position to make a difference but I would support the guys/gals who do and can.

Vicki