World Pool Masters

Jason Robichaud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see on the az homepage Canada is getting qualifying events for this. Anyone here have more information like location, when etc...

supergreenman

truly addicted
Silver Member
Hey Jason, this is what it says on the CBSA site: http://www.cbsa.ca/

The World Pool-Billiard Association (WPA) have announced a World Championship in Open 9-Ball and 8-Ball this year, after being cancelled the last couple of years. The WPA has also started a World Team Championship. The results of the Canadian Championships will determine who will be representing Canada at these prestigious world events.

So it looks like the CCS Canadian Championships will be used to determine the entries.

Jason Robichaud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I knew those events, I see World Pool Masters opened the field to 64 from 16 and Canada will hold qualifiers. I didn't find any info on CBSA regarding WPM.

Thanks Supergreen

Danktrees

RIP RS
Silver Member
150 dollar entry, 32 player field max. grand prize will be the trip and entry to the wpm and IF there is money left after that then it goes to the winner.
i believe the pay out is something like
1st - trip and entry to wpm ($1500 value, anything left over paid in cash)
2nd - 900
3rd & 4th - 450 each
or a variant of that.

all i remember is that the prize is 3200 total based on full field. 3rd and 4th get the same, and that their combined total is what 2nd gets. then 1st gets 3200 - 2ndx2 (3rd&4th=2nd place prize) which is paid in the form of a trip and entry to the wpm. if there is money left, it goes to the winner.

Jason Robichaud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Based on what you posted

1st 1500 ($3200???)
2nd 900
3-4 450

3300 out of 4800 in total purse that leaves $1500. 33% of pot. What happens to the $1500.

Danktrees

RIP RS
Silver Member
this isnt a weekly tournament with money added lol its a sanctioned event. the authorizing body always takes a cut.

also i may have screwed up the prize info a little bit. i just know it pays out 3200 total with 2nd place earning what 3rd and 4th gets combined and 1st gets 3200 minus the rest of the payouts and is to be paid in the form of a trip and entry plus anything left over.

Last edited:

Jason Robichaud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
this isnt a weekly tournament with money added lol its a sanctioned event. the authorizing body always takes a cut.

also i may have screwed up the prize info a little bit. i just know it pays out 3200 total with 2nd place earning what 3rd and 4th gets combined and 1st gets 3200 minus the rest of the payouts and is to be paid in the form of a trip and entry plus anything left over.

Now its getting worse...

$3200 total out of $4800 paid is $1600 pocketed. there is no lol here. I would like to know where the money is going! 2 events is $3200 going where? Table time? I would sooner pay hourly rate, loser pays. Who sanctioned the event WPA and they get rest? Lots of ???? above

Danktrees

RIP RS
Silver Member
Now its getting worse...

$3200 total out of $4800 paid is $1600 pocketed. there is no lol here. I would like to know where the money is going! 2 events is $3200 going where? Table time? I would sooner pay hourly rate, loser pays. Who sanctioned the event WPA and they get rest? Lots of ???? above

it is what it is. it's the same as the canadians. from ur response u make it sound like u're unaware that sanctioned events always give up money to the sanctioning body. thats probably one of the reason why dcc is independent at the risk of going up against the wpa tournament. if i remember correctly they used to be sanctioned although i might have confused that with another event. at the canadian open for example, the governing body for that charges a fee too but shooters pays that for the players themselves which is why the prize fund remains full. no one ever thanks them for it and i dont think most people even realize it. but do u think that the organizers of the event just choose shooters to host it? shooters had to pay for the event. but in that case since it's over such a long period of time with so many people coming and going shooters put the money up for it. in this case its a 2 day event so i doubt that either of the poolhalls is going to eat the event fees for the players. that might change if they find sponsors but as of right now thats the payout.

Last edited:

Jason Robichaud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it is what it is. it's the same as the canadians. u make it sound like u're unaware that sanctioned events always give up money to the sanctioning body. thats why dcc is independent at the risk of going up against the wpa tournament. at the canadian open for example, the governing body for that charges a fee too but shooters pays that for the players themselves which is why the prize fund remains full. no one ever thanks them for it and i dont think most people even realize it. but do u think that the organizers of the event just choose shooters to host it? shooters had to pay for the event. but in that case since it's over such a long period of time with so many people coming and going shooters put the money up for it. in this case its a 2 day event so i doubt that either of the poolhalls is going to eat the event fees for the players especially since its so high. that might change it they find sponsors but as of right now thats the payout.

You have a poor attitude... it is what it is. If you don't know where it is going don't answer.

I know there can be sanction fees. If the WPA requires a $800-1600 per qualifier, it makes sense. The CBSA is already sactioned with the WPA, so we don't need to pay that again. I plan on going to these events. If the money is going into someones pocket instead of supporting Canadian players, I won't support it. I could find a hundred room in Canada that would host these events and let players pay hourly rates. This wouldn't be close to $3200. Now, if you know that the WPA requires each event to pay X$ to host, that would be a good response. If I knew the answer, I wouldn't ask where the money is going!

Danktrees

RIP RS
Silver Member
You have a poor attitude... it is what it is. If you don't know where it is going don't answer.

I know there can be sanction fees. If the WPA requires a $800-1600 per qualifier, it makes sense. The CBSA is already sactioned with the WPA, so we don't need to pay that again. I plan on going to these events. If the money is going into someones pocket instead of supporting Canadian players, I won't support it. I could find a hundred room in Canada that would host these events and let players pay hourly rates. This wouldn't be close to $3200. Now, if you know that the WPA requires each event to pay X$ to host, that would be a good response. If I knew the answer, I wouldn't ask where the money is going!

poor attitude? i just told u the format of the payout and u make it sound like someone is stealing the money or that im lying about the payouts lol. i meant it is what it is as in thats how the tournament is set up. u did not see the email regarding this event but i did. the format of the payout was outlined in it directly. it's not like shooters or silver tip came up with it. they are just following the instructions for the event as outlined in that email. i do know where the money is going and i already told u. if i didnt answer u'd still be sitting there wondering where the events are being held. the "missing" money is going to the organizers and the governing body, which ever one is responsible for the wpm. in this case it is the wpa that is the governing body...but what did u think i was referring to?

as u said, the cbsa is sanctioned with the wpa but for these 2 qualifiers i dont think the cbsa has anything to do with them. since it's a wpa qualifier, the wpa will get some sort of an event fee. they either get it as part of the agreement with the cbsa or whoever is hosting it pays the fees. not sure how the canadians works out but i know shooters pays some sort of fee for it. whether its to the cbsa or wpa i dont know about that. but either way if u check the cbsa they dont mention anything about the wpm or the qualifiers and from what i remember in the email, this is a direct wpa event and not an event going thru the cbsa so whoever is hosting the qualifier pays the fees themselves (out of the entry fees).

i know u were exaggerating about finding 100 rooms in canada that could host these events, but this isn't an open tournament that the rooms are hosting. i doubt u will find any rooms that can host the event except for silver tip and shooters since they were CHOSEN to host the event. it's not like shooters and silver tip are just putting on a tournament and using the money to send the guys into the wpm, this is a sanctioned qualifier with the rooms chosen by the wpa so the money goes to them.

I could find a hundred room in Canada that would host these events and let players pay hourly rates. This wouldn't be close to $3200.

also, i dont know what this means. what do u mean 3200? it's not 3200 missing, it's 1600 missing. 3200 is going to the prize fund. so lets say u get another room to host it independently, 100 entry for 32 entrants to form the 3200 prize fund to pay out 1st-4th. u charge them hourly rates. with a 32 player field and longer races (not a 404 race to 5,6,or 7 lol) u're looking at a 2 day event since each match could take over an hour. dont know if its double or single elim, dont remember. so lets say u get 8 tables up (which would represent 16 players playing, leaving half the field idle), u would need to play at least 8 hours that day, 8 tables for 8 hours each is 64 hours table time, thats 640 dollars already. also keep in mind each match length is different so there will be idle time where one person is waiting for a match to conclude to face the winner etc. the canadian open had a 29 player field and that was a 3 day event. thats 1280 for a 2 day event which isnt far off from 1600. so yea i agree with u, it wouldnt be close to 3200, but that has nothing to do with anything since its not the 3200 that we're trying to find the difference for, it's the 1600.

the punchline is this: it is the cost of hosting a wpa sanctioned qualifier that is to be paid to the organizers and wpa/sanctioning body of the qualifier. which is what i said before when i first addressed this issue in post #10 and said that the money is going to the organizers and governing body.

Last edited:

Jason Robichaud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
poor attitude? i just told u the format of the payout and u make it sound like someone is stealing the money or that im lying about the payouts lol. i meant it is what it is as in thats how the tournament is set up. u did not see the email regarding this event but i did. the format of the payout was outlined in it directly. it's not like shooters or silver tip came up with it. they are just following the instructions for the event as outlined in that email. i do know where the money is going and i already told u. if i didnt answer u'd still be sitting there wondering where the events are being held. the "missing" money is going to the governing body, which ever one is responsible for the wpm. in this case it is the wpa that is the governing body...but what did u think i was referring to?

as u said, the cbsa is sanctioned with the wpa but for these 2 qualifiers i dont think the cbsa has anything to do with them. since it's a wpa qualifier, the wpa will get some sort of an event fee. they either get it as part of the agreement with the cbsa or whoever is hosting it pays the fees. not sure how the canadians works out but i know shooters pays some sort of fee for it. whether its to the cbsa or wpa i dont know about that. but either way if u check the cbsa they dont mention anything about the wpm or the qualifiers and from what i remember in the email, this is a direct wpa event and not an event going thru the cbsa so whoever is hosting the qualifier pays the fees themselves (out of the entry fees).

i know u were exaggerating about finding 100 rooms in canada that could host these events, but this isn't an open tournament that the rooms are hosting. i doubt u will find any rooms that can host the event except for silver tip and shooters since they were CHOSEN to host the event. it's not like shooters and silver tip are just putting on a tournament and using the money to send the guys into the wpm, this is a sanctioned qualifier with the rooms chosen by the wpa so the money goes to them.

also, i dont know what this means. what do u mean 3200? it's not 3200 missing, it's 1600 missing. 3200 is going to the prize fund.

the punchline is this: it isnt a green fee, it is the cost of hosting a wpa sanctioned qualifier that is to be paid to the wpa/sanctioning body of the qualifier. which is what i said before when i first addressed this issue in post #10 and said that the money is going to the governing body.

This post answers the question. #10 just said a governing body takes a cut etc. $3200 is the total of having two events $1600 + $1600 = $3200. I didn't know if a TD was taking the money, CBSA, Pool room etc. Could have saved a few post by just posting WPA selected 2 locations in Canada and are taking the extra in fees.

Anyways, long ways to get here, thanks for clearing it up. Rep sent.

Danktrees

RIP RS
Silver Member
This post answers the question. #10 just said a governing body takes a cut etc. $3200 is the total of having two events $1600 + $1600 = $3200. I didn't know if a TD was taking the money, CBSA, Pool room etc. Could have saved a few post by just posting WPA selected 2 locations in Canada and are taking the extra in fees.

Anyways, long ways to get here, thanks for clearing it up. Rep sent.

i am going to follow up on it, i will be back later tonight with more info. but the 3200 is for 2 events so that would be twice the operating costs. as i outlined in the previous post (which i editted after u quoted me so u might not have read it yet) that the hourly rate on the tables would add up to over 1000 for each event so for 2 events it would be over around 2300-2400 which isnt far off from the 3200. either way im going to get confirmation on this again. i will be back with info tonight hopefully. if not then by thursday at the latest when i see eddie again.

SteveC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not WPA Event

The World Pool Masters in not an event governed by the WPA. It is organized by Matchroom Sport. They are the promoters & organizers. Nothing at all to do with WPA or CBSA.

A percentage of each entry fee - $150 - goes to the promoter, & a percentage goes to the event host. The percentage to the promoter of course is for the spot to the main event in Vegas. The percentage goes to the host so Matchroom knows they will get hosts that will sort of guarantee a minumin of 32 players.

Host could lose money if not enough people show up to play. Prize money & promoter money must be paid by someone.

Danktrees

RIP RS
Silver Member
ok i was wrong about the wpa, i didnt know before so i just said the sanctioning body when i first answered. but in one of jason's posts he made a reference to the wpa when he asked if the wpa was the sanctioning body so i thought that was it. my mistake. but either way it is still going to the sanctioning body, i just got the name of the organization wrong.

but i know the promoter (matchroom) gets more than just the money for the spot in the main event. the email showed it, i just dont remember the figures since it was 2 weeks ago that i saw it and i didnt pay much attention to it. i only made a point to remember the entry fee and max entries. i will get confirmation on this later tonight or on thursday.

Last edited:

Danktrees

RIP RS
Silver Member
ok i just confirmed it, the same email was sent out to everyone hosting a qualifier in all countries so the payouts and info is the same everywhere...unless the host finds additional sponsors or feels like adding money etc.

150 per entry, 32 player field. total is 4800. 3200 goes to prize fund and is what i outlined before with 1st getting the trip etc.

the remaining 1600 is split between the promoter and the host. so matchroom gets 800 and 800 goes to the poolhall. it is a double elimination event over 2 days so thats around 128 hours of table time (8 tables a day for 8 hours a day = 128 hours and thats just the minimum, might actually take longer) so 800 dollars is reasonable...at least it does to me even tho im not playing lol.

it's an open qualifier so anyone from anywhere in the world can come and play. hopefully some people from the states come up and we get to watch some good action.

i dunno about shooters date, it's around the first week of march but the event at silver tip is tentatively scheduled for april 3rd-4th.

Jason Robichaud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I looked on the matchroom webpage and it has a 32 player invite, Tyler E getting the only one for Canada. The other 32 players are from world wide qualifiers.

I really want my name in these. Who do I send money to?