Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Pea Pool - Association with gambling

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Pea Pool - Association with gambling
Old
  (#1)
Ralph Kramden
BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Ralph Kramden has a reputation beyond reputeRalph Kramden has a reputation beyond reputeRalph Kramden has a reputation beyond reputeRalph Kramden has a reputation beyond reputeRalph Kramden has a reputation beyond reputeRalph Kramden has a reputation beyond reputeRalph Kramden has a reputation beyond reputeRalph Kramden has a reputation beyond reputeRalph Kramden has a reputation beyond reputeRalph Kramden has a reputation beyond reputeRalph Kramden has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Pea Pool - Association with gambling - 02-23-2010, 03:49 PM

Pea Pool (Kelly) has been known as a gambling game for many years.

Playing the game in Montana was subject to a $25 dollar fine until the law was repealed in 1964.
The game of kelly pool was also banned in the Canadian province of Manitoba.
Association with gambling... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelly_pool

Pea Pool can also be played as a friendly social game with small payouts.
http://sites.google.com/site/pooland.../Home/pea-pool

You keep secret a private number that corresponds to a ball number.
Pocket any opponents secret ball and get paid for the ball by that player.
Win by pocketing your own secret ball and get paid double by all players.

GAMES... http://sites.google.com/site/poolandbilliard

Recognize a 1/2 ball 30 degree cut, and the 1/8 ball angles.
Paralysis by aiming analysis happens by thinking too much.

To play at top speed.. You must own the stop shot line.

Old
  (#2)
ceebee
AzB Silver Member
ceebee has a reputation beyond reputeceebee has a reputation beyond reputeceebee has a reputation beyond reputeceebee has a reputation beyond reputeceebee has a reputation beyond reputeceebee has a reputation beyond reputeceebee has a reputation beyond reputeceebee has a reputation beyond reputeceebee has a reputation beyond reputeceebee has a reputation beyond reputeceebee has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700
  Send a message via Skype™ to ceebee 
02-23-2010, 05:11 PM

Actually Pea Pool and-or Kelly Pool is a great game. The higher the stakes, the more intense things get.

The audience can also participate by side-betting with the other rail birds on who will win. This gets to be real exciting...

I'd like to see some of this format on TV...

ceebee
USMC- Ret.
www.breakrak.com
918-543-6600
SKYPE charley.bond.inola
Every game Starts with the Break Shot

Old
  (#3)
danquixote
DanQuixote
danquixote has a reputation beyond reputedanquixote has a reputation beyond reputedanquixote has a reputation beyond reputedanquixote has a reputation beyond reputedanquixote has a reputation beyond reputedanquixote has a reputation beyond reputedanquixote has a reputation beyond reputedanquixote has a reputation beyond reputedanquixote has a reputation beyond reputedanquixote has a reputation beyond reputedanquixote has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via Yahoo to danquixote  
02-23-2010, 06:48 PM

hell.....I'm not familiar with any game of pool that hasn't been associated with gambling...

Well Mrs. Kennedy.....other than that.....what did you think of Dallas???.

Playing cue......Schon 1309 ltd w/OB-2 shafts moori med

Break cue COC......crappy ole cuetec

Support mental health.....or I'll kill you

Old
  (#4)
Jack Madden
John Madden Cues
Jack Madden has a reputation beyond reputeJack Madden has a reputation beyond reputeJack Madden has a reputation beyond reputeJack Madden has a reputation beyond reputeJack Madden has a reputation beyond reputeJack Madden has a reputation beyond reputeJack Madden has a reputation beyond reputeJack Madden has a reputation beyond reputeJack Madden has a reputation beyond reputeJack Madden has a reputation beyond reputeJack Madden has a reputation beyond repute

02-23-2010, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Kramden View Post
Pea Pool (Kelly) has been known as a gambling game for many years.

Playing the game in Montana was subject to a $25 dollar fine until the law was repealed in 1964.
The game of kelly pool was also banned in the Canadian province of Manitoba.
Montana likes their pool They drive 100's of miles over a weekend in nasty winter weather, pay for a hotel room for a couple nights, play hard, then drive home and show up for work on Monday. Have a $25,000 payout tournament coming up in a month or so - this tournament has been going on for over 25 years.

Jack
John Madden Custom Cues
Voting Member of American Cuemakers Association
www.johnmaddencues.com
406-745-3562

Old
  (#5)
Big Dave
Pool Hack!!!
Big Dave has a reputation beyond reputeBig Dave has a reputation beyond reputeBig Dave has a reputation beyond reputeBig Dave has a reputation beyond reputeBig Dave has a reputation beyond reputeBig Dave has a reputation beyond reputeBig Dave has a reputation beyond reputeBig Dave has a reputation beyond reputeBig Dave has a reputation beyond reputeBig Dave has a reputation beyond reputeBig Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via MSN to Big Dave Send a message via Skype™ to Big Dave 
02-23-2010, 09:52 PM

I'm searching for a representative video on YouTube that gives a good example of Pea Pool being played - if anyone has seen one, please let me know!

http://www.pro9.co.uk/html/Rules20Assorted.php

^^^ In fact, if you know of a good video for any of the games mentioned above it would be nice to include them.

Not yet available from USA stores Genuine Predator 3 Inch Extender ............................... Wonder why the other guy is so good? Maybe he practices with ProPockets©

Last edited by Big Dave; 02-23-2010 at 09:56 PM.

Old
  (#6)
Fatboy
AzB Silver Member
Fatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2400

02-23-2010, 10:02 PM

i love pea pool, i havent played it in years, we used to play 2-3 times a week. .25 and 50cents on the 9, we kept the quarters on the table under the cushions. it was great fun. i miss it, 3 ball is fun too. I love all ring games.

OG member of the Lock Society members or OG-LS;

Just call me Fat-Lock

im getting old and sloppy....

Old
  (#7)
orangecrush
Just a banger
orangecrush has a reputation beyond reputeorangecrush has a reputation beyond reputeorangecrush has a reputation beyond reputeorangecrush has a reputation beyond reputeorangecrush has a reputation beyond reputeorangecrush has a reputation beyond reputeorangecrush has a reputation beyond reputeorangecrush has a reputation beyond reputeorangecrush has a reputation beyond reputeorangecrush has a reputation beyond reputeorangecrush has a reputation beyond repute

02-23-2010, 10:07 PM

Great game.. Used to play it all the time. Even playing quaters with friends makes it worth it when you get enough people. And if you wanna gamble, $1, $2 or $5 you can really take some cash home. We would play with 10 balls and at least 5 people would play. You do the math... I loved it when I make my pill and get the reaction from everyone when I'm pulling out out to show I made my own ball.. PAY ME Suckers.. lol

PS. Eric... Around here we just call that 10 ball.. Payout is on the 5 and 9 like you said. Great game too... Pill, pea or Kelly pool uses the pills in the bottle and every one gets a pill. You hold it secret until someone makes your number or you make your own.

Shane

Even a blind squirrel can find a nut..

Click on the blue links to see the pictures.
Playing cues: McDermott LE, Pic 2 and a tulipwood Sneakiest pete cue.
Cue Cases:1X2 It's George/Brunswick case , McDermott Super Mac case.

Last edited by orangecrush; 02-23-2010 at 10:23 PM.

What a great memory!
Old
  (#8)
George Fels
AzB Silver Member
George Fels has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Fels has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Fels has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Fels has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Fels has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Fels has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Fels has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Fels has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Fels has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Fels has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Fels has a reputation beyond repute

What a great memory! - 02-23-2010, 10:16 PM

Pea Pool was absolutely the first form of gambling at the cue games I ever did. I think we started out at a nickel for the other guy's ball(s) and a dime for yours, and gradually worked our way up to quarter/half. (In case you can't tell, this was not much of an action room.) I played that just to be one of the boys, WAY before I had much of an idea what I was doing. Haven't seen it played in decades, but I distinctly remember the huge grin I wore from the time our games began till the last player quit. GF

We locally call it Pill pull ten ball
Old
  (#9)
n33njah
AzB Silver Member
n33njah has a reputation beyond reputen33njah has a reputation beyond reputen33njah has a reputation beyond reputen33njah has a reputation beyond reputen33njah has a reputation beyond reputen33njah has a reputation beyond reputen33njah has a reputation beyond reputen33njah has a reputation beyond reputen33njah has a reputation beyond reputen33njah has a reputation beyond reputen33njah has a reputation beyond repute

We locally call it Pill pull ten ball - 02-24-2010, 06:16 AM

We generally have a game about 2-3 times a week if there's no action and mostly local guys running around a few of us will start at 1-2 or 2-2 pill pull ten ball. THese games are freaking hilarious.

In fact we played it two nights ago and I walked away like 45 ahead of where I started with just four players going at it because I caught a string of luck on the draw and break. lol. Made the ten ball or my pill 4 times in a row, then I kept drawing pills that were runnable to and it wasn't the stoutest game ive ever played in but we had fun and had pretty much our pecking order from our a/b to our ball bangers involved at any given point so I love this game.

Old
  (#10)
Big Arm
AzB Silver Member
Big Arm has a reputation beyond reputeBig Arm has a reputation beyond reputeBig Arm has a reputation beyond reputeBig Arm has a reputation beyond reputeBig Arm has a reputation beyond reputeBig Arm has a reputation beyond reputeBig Arm has a reputation beyond reputeBig Arm has a reputation beyond reputeBig Arm has a reputation beyond reputeBig Arm has a reputation beyond reputeBig Arm has a reputation beyond repute

02-24-2010, 07:44 AM

Mr. Madden,
Where and when is this tournament. I might wish to go and watch.
Thanks!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: