Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Who wouldn't call a foul on themselves?
View Poll Results: Have you ever fouled and not admitted it to your opponent?
Yes - If they aren't paying attention it's their fault 26 13.83%
No - I have integrity 134 71.28%
Maybe - I might've 28 14.89%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Page 1 of 7 1 23 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Who wouldn't call a foul on themselves?
Old
  (#1)
sammspocket
Samm D. Vidal
sammspocket has a reputation beyond reputesammspocket has a reputation beyond reputesammspocket has a reputation beyond reputesammspocket has a reputation beyond reputesammspocket has a reputation beyond reputesammspocket has a reputation beyond reputesammspocket has a reputation beyond reputesammspocket has a reputation beyond reputesammspocket has a reputation beyond reputesammspocket has a reputation beyond reputesammspocket has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Who wouldn't call a foul on themselves? - 03-15-2010, 02:47 PM

This weekend I had an opponent admit the following to me after our match, "You missed a foul that cost you the match." It was as though he was bragging about it.

"Excuse me?" I responded.

"Yeah, I fouled and you didn't even call it,"
he says.

"Obviously I didn't see it and assumed you were honest. And you're proud of this?" I asked.

"I stood up and walked around the table. I gave you a chance to say something," he boasted.

Wow... Seriously? Am I supposed to assume that getting up and walking around the table means that it's ball in hand for me? He was facing me and must've double-hit the cue ball. If it hardly moves, how can I see that?

I can honestly say that I have never knowingly fouled and not called it on myself. My conscience would never let me get away with it.

Old
  (#2)
Big Perm
1pkt 14.1 8 Banks 9 10
Big Perm has a reputation beyond reputeBig Perm has a reputation beyond reputeBig Perm has a reputation beyond reputeBig Perm has a reputation beyond reputeBig Perm has a reputation beyond reputeBig Perm has a reputation beyond reputeBig Perm has a reputation beyond reputeBig Perm has a reputation beyond reputeBig Perm has a reputation beyond reputeBig Perm has a reputation beyond reputeBig Perm has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 625

03-15-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammspocket View Post
This weekend I had an opponent admit the following to me after our match, "You missed a foul that cost you the match." It was as though he was bragging about it.

"Excuse me?" I responded.

"Yeah, I fouled and you didn't even call it,"
he says.

"Obviously I didn't see it and assumed you were honest. And you're proud of this?" I asked.

"I stood up and walked around the table. I gave you a chance to say something," he boasted.

Wow... Seriously? Am I supposed to assume that getting up and walking around the table means that it's ball in hand for me? He was facing me and must've double-hit the cue ball. If it hardly moves, how can I see that?

I can honestly say that I have never knowingly fouled and not called it on myself. My conscience would never let me get away with it.

Agreed....

Some people think cheating is a badge of honor.....I don't get it.....guess I'm just a sucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson View Post
Welcome Teach....to the class that is always open 24/7 where one is free to suggest subjects for class discussion or to merely browse through the multitude of pages for your reading enjoyment...
AC Tru-Balance Conversion w/ OB Shafts
Cuephoric Dufferin Conversion w/ Owens Shaft
The original CHALK NINJA

If I can't beat you by the rules...
Old
  (#3)
GoTulane
Shizzle-rific
GoTulane has a reputation beyond reputeGoTulane has a reputation beyond reputeGoTulane has a reputation beyond reputeGoTulane has a reputation beyond reputeGoTulane has a reputation beyond reputeGoTulane has a reputation beyond reputeGoTulane has a reputation beyond reputeGoTulane has a reputation beyond reputeGoTulane has a reputation beyond reputeGoTulane has a reputation beyond reputeGoTulane has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25

Talking If I can't beat you by the rules... - 03-15-2010, 02:59 PM

Then it isn't worth winning.

I call everything on myself when I play, because that is how I am. No matter what the stakes, or importance of the game, you gotta play with integrity.

Wish more people in the world did this more often in pool, and especially in life.

Michael

Old
  (#4)
Neil
AzB Silver Member
Neil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2200

03-15-2010, 03:08 PM

Last edited by Neil; 07-17-2012 at 12:40 PM.

Old
  (#5)
theyonger
AzB Silver Member
theyonger has a reputation beyond reputetheyonger has a reputation beyond reputetheyonger has a reputation beyond reputetheyonger has a reputation beyond reputetheyonger has a reputation beyond reputetheyonger has a reputation beyond reputetheyonger has a reputation beyond reputetheyonger has a reputation beyond reputetheyonger has a reputation beyond reputetheyonger has a reputation beyond reputetheyonger has a reputation beyond repute

03-15-2010, 03:20 PM

I always call my own fouls!
Im scared if i dont the guy will see and just not say anything and put me outside and rape me or something LOL...

Shoots with : Mcdermott M72A Dubliner equipped with a OB2 shaft

Jumps: Pred Air!

Breaks with : Rick Howard Mace!

Case: Wave 2x5

Old
  (#6)
akaTrigger
Hi!
akaTrigger has a reputation beyond reputeakaTrigger has a reputation beyond reputeakaTrigger has a reputation beyond reputeakaTrigger has a reputation beyond reputeakaTrigger has a reputation beyond reputeakaTrigger has a reputation beyond reputeakaTrigger has a reputation beyond reputeakaTrigger has a reputation beyond reputeakaTrigger has a reputation beyond reputeakaTrigger has a reputation beyond reputeakaTrigger has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 475

03-15-2010, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I have called fouls on myself several times. However, if there is a ref present watching the match, I'm not saying anything. That is then his job, not mine. That is exactly why he is there.
I've seen people tell the ref he was wrong about his "good hit" call and tell him it was actually a foul!

Read my Pool Blog

akaTrigger FaceBook FanPage

Old
  (#7)
Fobstarr
Registered
Fobstarr has a reputation beyond reputeFobstarr has a reputation beyond reputeFobstarr has a reputation beyond reputeFobstarr has a reputation beyond reputeFobstarr has a reputation beyond reputeFobstarr has a reputation beyond reputeFobstarr has a reputation beyond reputeFobstarr has a reputation beyond reputeFobstarr has a reputation beyond reputeFobstarr has a reputation beyond reputeFobstarr has a reputation beyond repute

03-15-2010, 03:26 PM

I personally hand the cue ball over to my opponent if they don't notice my foul. But there are times when I'm not sure if i double hit the cue or not. It might feel like a double hit but it also feels like a miscue (for shots where the object ball is fairly close to the cue ball.) In those situations, what do you do?

Old
  (#8)
Neil
AzB Silver Member
Neil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond repute

03-15-2010, 03:32 PM

Last edited by Neil; 07-17-2012 at 12:41 PM.

Old
  (#9)
Neil
AzB Silver Member

03-15-2010, 03:34 PM

Last edited by Neil; 07-17-2012 at 12:42 PM.

Old
  (#10)
theyonger
AzB Silver Member
theyonger has a reputation beyond reputetheyonger has a reputation beyond reputetheyonger has a reputation beyond reputetheyonger has a reputation beyond reputetheyonger has a reputation beyond reputetheyonger has a reputation beyond reputetheyonger has a reputation beyond reputetheyonger has a reputation beyond reputetheyonger has a reputation beyond reputetheyonger has a reputation beyond reputetheyonger has a reputation beyond repute

03-15-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fobstarr View Post
I personally hand the cue ball over to my opponent if they don't notice my foul. But there are times when I'm not sure if i double hit the cue or not. It might feel like a double hit but it also feels like a miscue (for shots where the object ball is fairly close to the cue ball.) In those situations, what do you do?
If its like SUPER SUPER unsure id ask my opponent if he thought it was good.
Otherwise if i was a little onesided i would just wait for him to call it himself

Shoots with : Mcdermott M72A Dubliner equipped with a OB2 shaft

Jumps: Pred Air!

Breaks with : Rick Howard Mace!

Case: Wave 2x5

Old
  (#11)
Exsanguinating
The Bloodletter
Exsanguinating has a reputation beyond reputeExsanguinating has a reputation beyond reputeExsanguinating has a reputation beyond reputeExsanguinating has a reputation beyond reputeExsanguinating has a reputation beyond reputeExsanguinating has a reputation beyond reputeExsanguinating has a reputation beyond reputeExsanguinating has a reputation beyond reputeExsanguinating has a reputation beyond reputeExsanguinating has a reputation beyond reputeExsanguinating has a reputation beyond repute

03-15-2010, 03:36 PM

First of all, what an A$$ and I'm sorry that happened to such a good person <3

I will always call a foul on myself... and I expect my opponents to do the same, although, I am not naive and I know this doesn't always happen. I want to win because I worked hard for it, put in the effort and left my heart on the table... not because my opponent *didn't see a foul that I made*. That to me is tacky and shows me a lack of their own self respect and self confidence that they couldn't have beaten me fair and square.

ex: During a tourney... there was a discrepancy that one of my team mates didn't call a foul, that her opponent was SURE she made. Everyone watching the match saw no foul made. So the opponent was now bitter. When it came time for me to play that opponent, with everyone watching, she "blatantly" fouled... and didn't call it. What the Cuss??!!?!
Knowing the ref wouldn't do anything, cause he wasn't there, she refused to even talk to him stating in a *know it all tone*, "Oh, I know what happens." Referring to the fact that I was going to have to suck it up and shoot anyway. As furious as I was, I just sarcastically commented (loud enough for everyone to hear) "If that's how you got to play to win, then that's how you gotta play to win!" and continued the match... I ended up losing... Later we had to play that team again. She broke and made nothing... I proceeded to run out to the eight ball, which she then got up and scooped the eight ball out of line with her cue and offered her hand for a handshake...
(Guilty conscious gets the best of the cheaters too...)

Old
  (#12)
TX Poolnut
🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
TX Poolnut has a reputation beyond reputeTX Poolnut has a reputation beyond reputeTX Poolnut has a reputation beyond reputeTX Poolnut has a reputation beyond reputeTX Poolnut has a reputation beyond reputeTX Poolnut has a reputation beyond reputeTX Poolnut has a reputation beyond reputeTX Poolnut has a reputation beyond reputeTX Poolnut has a reputation beyond reputeTX Poolnut has a reputation beyond reputeTX Poolnut has a reputation beyond repute

03-15-2010, 03:39 PM

I call fouls on myself.

No biggie.

Old
  (#13)
Tom In Cincy
AKA SactownTom
Tom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1140

03-15-2010, 04:04 PM

I call fouls on myself and my opponents when they commit an infraction of the rules.

I think it is great that players call fouls on themselves. Super.. great amount of sportsmanship and a true indication of a great competitor.

If you really want to learn the rules, take a Referee class with qualified teachers and get qualified to make the correct calls.

Just because you read or briefly skimmed over a league handout or remembered what someone said the rules were 10-15 years ago, doesn't mean you are making the correct call.

You kinda lose your integrity if you make a bonehead call against yourself and you were WRONG.

"In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves." From Jennifer

Just remember all posts are, of course... In My Humble Opinion
Age= Been Playing since I was 17... 53 years ago
Cue = Pete Ohmen (Melbourne, FL) www.omencues.com
Hours of Play per week = 8+

Old
  (#14)
afss
Registered
afss has a reputation beyond reputeafss has a reputation beyond reputeafss has a reputation beyond reputeafss has a reputation beyond reputeafss has a reputation beyond reputeafss has a reputation beyond reputeafss has a reputation beyond reputeafss has a reputation beyond reputeafss has a reputation beyond reputeafss has a reputation beyond reputeafss has a reputation beyond repute

03-15-2010, 04:43 PM

Wow.. I am suprised myself. Pool to me is as much a personal win as it is a victory over my opponent. If i knowingly screwed up i can't and wouldn't continue to play that turn.

The guys i play with, we don't even call shots anymore, we all know what each other is going to try and if we don't make it the way we intended we default that turn. Continueing to playing after a foul is no diferent than lying or not sticking to your word. To me there is no higher value than the value of my word. Everyone has to be able to live with their personal code.

If your code includes cheating to win and or you need to cheat to win........ why bother playing????

Old
  (#15)
SpiderWebComm
HelpImBeingOppressed
SpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1275

03-15-2010, 04:46 PM

I'd rather lose than be caught doing that. That stays with you for life when people see that you cheat. Have I ever fouled and not said something? Sure--- but I didn't know I fouled. I've honestly never fouled (and known it) without giving up the table.

Viffer: The Movie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JFIy2ebJIE

Page 1 of 7 1 23 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: