This ever happen to you?

jjoe75

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was in the middle of my APA match monday night, on the comeback (I am a SL 7) when after i hit the cue ball with a little high right, not working the ball and SNAP the tennon broke on my OB1 shaft. It seems like the material the tennon is made of is particle board?, glued together saw dust?, i'm not sure. I am not bashing OB CUES, i like the way it hits and performs but i didnt expect this to happen. I used to break with the cue but i crushed the ferrull and OB stood behind their shaft even though i am the second owner (purchased from another AZER) Royce repaired it for free when i shipped it to him. I will say i dont care for the everest tip i hap put on it so i had a reputable cue repairer put a Kamui med II tip on it for me last week then this happened after i got it back from him saturday night. I shot 5 hrs whith it sunday night to get used to the new cloth on the tables, then this happens in the 7th game of my match.

Attachments

• SDC10259.jpg
    SDC10259.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 251

jjoe75

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
another pic

Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else, I stopped breaking with the stick after the first mishap of crushing the ferrull

Attachments

• SDC10267.jpg
    SDC10267.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:

orangecrush

Just a banger
Silver Member
Looks to me like whoever put the tip on didn't get enough glue for the whole tip and it just popped off. And the glue they used took some meat along with it... JMO..

Shane

poolpro

Not a pro
Silver Member
It is hard to tell for sure, but is the carbon fiber pad still on the cue, or did the guy remove it withe the old tip?

If the carbon fiber pad has been removed it ruins the integrety of the whole shaft, and voids your warranty. It would also explain the resulting damage.

I doubt it is mere coincidence that very shortly after having it retipped, that something goes wrong. Not everyone knows how to work with these properly.

I hope you get it resolved somehow. It appears that it may be reapairable.

Grilled Cheese

p.i.i.t.h.
Silver Member
Such things happen on all types of cues, brands, designs etcetera. I wouldn't worry about it. I'm sure OB will take care of this no problem. I don't care who says what about X or Y, in my time I've seen every single brand, including customs have breakage like that. Absolutely no one is immune or can claim a perfect record. We really take it for granted when our cues are subjected to tens of thousands (and many more) impacts and survive without damage. Considering the stress they are under, their track record is pretty darn good compared to the other sporting equipment in other sports.

Now, this is a perfect example of why the whole cue with 2 shaft thing exists. If you are competitive - it's important to have two as close to identical shafts as possible for your playing cue.

The most important criteria (aside from being the same make/model obviously) are:

1. Same brand and type of tip, same hardness. And preferably, have both broken in to the same level with the same radius.

2. Same shaft weight. To many it may come as a surprise that two shafts of the same model and type can weigh as much as 0.75 ounce difference. That alters the balance of the cue.

3. Same taper. This shouldn't be an issue if you don't sand shafts.

For myself, I want the backup shaft to play the same as much as possible. If you gain a lot of experience with a cue, you'll be able to feel the smallest variables. But the idea is to get it as close as possible. In fact, it's best to not even declare one a "back up" and to just interchange between the two often. That way, you are familiar and comfortable with both.

It isn't because the cue in and of itself is critical to your game. Your game is within you. It's so that the difference in feel, weight, balance and squirt does not become a distraction to you - which in turn harms one's game. In the middle of an important match is not time to get a hang of a different cue.

Sorry, didn't intend this as a thread-jacking. Just wanted to share some thoughts.

jjoe75

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The carbon fiber pad wasnt removed when the new tip got put on, and the carbon fiber pad is still attached to the tip. I will say i didnt like the everest tip on it from OB so i ordered a kamui from Koinnkid got it a little over a week ago, talked to the cue repairer i use about trading a tip install for a couple of pieces of Blue Diamond chalk. Later the same night someone asked me what kind of shaft it was and i told them, they were looking at the ferrull and as they were turning the cue i saw space under the tip, between the carbon fiber pad and the tip. So i just pulled the tip off, handed the shaft to Rusty (cue repairer) along with the new kamui and the chalk for the work and told him i did half his job.