Why is it?

8up

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why is it that there are so many negative post? I am not talking about post where someone did someone wrong, Those I can understand.

I'm talking about someone just ask a question and someone tries to make them look dumb. Or someone post something they like and others can't help but type things Like "I tried it its Junk". Someone post something they think is news and people either can't help but "thats old news" or "thats no big deal".

As a family here would it not be more productive to not reply at all ? I understand some of it is joking between old friends but sometimes it seems uncalled for. I bet on more than one occasion someone has had a question they did not ask because they were afraid someone would try to make them look stupid rather than just answer the question.

Was this a negative thread? Maybe, but my intention was more along the lines of what I was taught " be kind to others unless they give you a reason not to be"

Ok I have vented.

hbend

American Mastiff fan
Silver Member
I see where your coming from and I tend to agree to an extent

But... there are also times when you want someone's opinion good or bad. If you only got positive answers from everyone here, then you'd be inclined to buy/use whatever it is that you were inquiring about because nothing bad would have been said about it. I'd much rather know the good and the bad and then make my own decision.

Just my two cents.

cswann1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been all over the country (continental US), and I'm a member of a couple of hobbyist online forums. In my experience, there are just some people who are not nice and in an anonymous environment like this, they can be themselves without any adverse consequences in there everyday life. It's almost like therapy I think.

I drove a truck for over a year, and it was the same way with the communication with drivers over their CB radios. A lot of the conversation is the worst sort of filth a person is likely to hear in his or her lifetime. There are people that are so unhappy with themselves and their life that they want to vent their frustration any way they can. Being a truck driver is the only job I know of that you can publicly threaten to kill someone and get away with it.:yikes:

Anyway, we all have bad moments and don't let the bad moments of others get you down. And usually if someone is consistently abusive the forum moderators can so something about it.

cajunfats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Be Thoughtful

I have always made it a point to be thoughtful about the subject matter and the individuals who post. Information is helpful,but we might deliver it in a way that others see as offensive or derogatory. Respect everyone,we are all learning something new.

8up

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see where your coming from and I tend to agree to an extent

But... there are also times when you want someone's opinion good or bad. If you only got positive answers from everyone here, then you'd be inclined to buy/use whatever it is that you were inquiring about because nothing bad would have been said about it. I'd much rather know the good and the bad and then make my own decision.

Just my two cents.

I agree with that if the person asked a question wanting an opinion. But if they ask a question about something like an APA rule or something some replies tend to be more why they don't like APA or leagues.

I myself may just see the negative in things when they are not there or maybe its just friends talking once the thread is started. It can be hard to tell when you don't know everyone and these typed words don't convey the tone in which the person is speaking.

Beware_of_Dawg

Silver Member
After reading all wikipedia had to say on this $35 word

SEE!?!?!?! THIS IS WHAT I MEAN!!!

THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS!!!!

I try to help and you INSULT ME by calling my vocabulary a "$35 word" WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO IMPLY?!?!?!?

~D4\/\/G~

Ethnomethodology is a sociology theory that describes how people in certain situations, such as online environments, create the false impression of a collective social order when they don't understand, or perhaps don't care to understand each other fully. Inevitably, the different points of view within this forged community can lead to total anarchy if not intensely moderated by an unbiased member.

Within these online communities, notions of hierarchy are quickly established by the more seasoned posters who exhibit a rather skewed sense of importance and authority. Cliques are formed and mimic real life by picking on weaker or less popular individuals within the group.

One could say an online forum is a microcosm of society; however, a true microcosm would be comprised of unique individuals with a full range of interests and backgrounds. In an online setting such as a billiards forum, we find many people with varied backgrounds who share a specific interest. Despite differing opinions, there should be a blanket element of solidarity within the group and ironically, this does not seem to hold true.

Different personalities play a role in the hostility as well. People might suffer from low self-esteem, shyness, or a physical disability that prevents them from feeling comfortable enough to socialize with others in real life. For these people forums can be greatly therapeutic and fulfilling. Some people are passive-aggressive or have other control issues and find themselves in an environment where they are free to assert their aggressive nature in full force with no repercussions. Others can be tremendously passive in real life yet anonymously they are finally given a voice in a place where their opinions mean something to a captive audience. Also present are "trolls" that are just itching to start flame wars no matter that the topic is about and live to argue.

Class consciousness is brought into the mix by individuals who suffer from inadequacy or lack of validation and feel compelled to flaunt their real life social status, education, Mensa affiliation, employment or monetary status (whether genuine or fabricated) in an attempt to make others feel insignificant or to catapult themselves into the stratosphere of the forum's rank structure.

Why can some people cope with these unnatural interactions as if they were engaging with people in real life and why do others take on sanctimonious or belligerent attitudes?

There's a difference between healthy debating and blatant antagonizing. In an online setting where you can't see facial expressions or always sniff out witty sarcasm, people can easily misconstrue others' intended words. Next time you find yourself in a hostile thread, try to take the high ground and shrug off offending comments. Users should also try to gracefully respect comments that differ in opinion even if they are unpopular statements about highly controversial topics. Always report any obvious attempts of flaming to the moderator before it gets out of hand. That's what they're there for.

If you are the offender, and are going off for the gratification of starting chaos or inflating your own self-esteem, perhaps seeking therapy might be in order or at least ask yourself why you harbor so much animosity towards the world. It is never okay to rationalize personal attacks with anonymity. Respect the person's rights, regardless of viewpoint.

forum psycho
~D4\/\/G~

Last edited:

kyo1128

Risa Yoshiki is HOT also
Silver Member
Also called Persona thought ethnomethodology is more appropriate for online activity.

For your laughs search internet hater on youtube....

cswann1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LOL! Dawg that is spot on and I've seen it first hand.

I sometimes log in a participate in an online forum for Headphone audio enthusiasts. There was definitely a clique of "bad boys" that were just out-of-control. One night I had had enough and I didn't hold back on the leader of this little gang. It got pretty heated but in the end the thread that he'd started was closed and I never heard from any of the forum mods, so I don't think that they were too upset about me. Anyway, they guy I tangled with was eventually banned.

I usually just let people be who they are without any commentary from me but this guy was nothing but a bully and I just can't stand that sort for very long.

The article quote was a very interesting read, thanks:thumbup:

Last edited:

cajunfats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I try to help and you INSULT ME by calling my vocabulary a "$35 word" WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO IMPLY?!?!?!?

~D4\/\/G~

Ethnomethodology is a sociology theory that describes how people in certain situations, such as online environments, create the false impression of a collective social order when they don't understand, or perhaps don't care to understand each other fully. Inevitably, the different points of view within this forged community can lead to total anarchy if not intensely moderated by an unbiased member.

Within these online communities, notions of hierarchy are quickly established by the more seasoned posters who exhibit a rather skewed sense of importance and authority. Cliques are formed and mimic real life by picking on weaker or less popular individuals within the group.

One could say an online forum is a microcosm of society; however, a true microcosm would be comprised of unique individuals with a full range of interests and backgrounds. In an online setting such as a billiards forum, we find many people with varied backgrounds who share a specific interest. Despite differing opinions, there should be a blanket element of solidarity within the group and ironically, this does not seem to hold true.

Different personalities play a role in the hostility as well. People might suffer from low self-esteem, shyness, or a physical disability that prevents them from feeling comfortable enough to socialize with others in real life. For these people forums can be greatly therapeutic and fulfilling. Some people are passive-aggressive or have other control issues and find themselves in an environment where they are free to assert their aggressive nature in full force with no repercussions. Others can be tremendously passive in real life yet anonymously they are finally given a voice in a place where their opinions mean something to a captive audience. Also present are "trolls" that are just itching to start flame wars no matter that the topic is about and live to argue.

Class consciousness is brought into the mix by individuals who suffer from inadequacy or lack of validation and feel compelled to flaunt their real life social status, education, Mensa affiliation, employment or monetary status (whether genuine or fabricated) in an attempt to make others feel insignificant or to catapult themselves into the stratosphere of the forum's rank structure.

Why can some people cope with these unnatural interactions as if they were engaging with people in real life and why do others take on sanctimonious or belligerent attitudes?

There's a difference between healthy debating and blatant antagonizing. In an online setting where you can't see facial expressions or always sniff out witty sarcasm, people can easily misconstrue others' intended words. Next time you find yourself in a hostile thread, try to take the high ground and shrug off offending comments. Users should also try to gracefully respect comments that differ in opinion even if they are unpopular statements about highly controversial topics. Always report any obvious attempts of flaming to the moderator before it gets out of hand. That's what they're there for.

If you are the offender, and are going off for the gratification of starting chaos or inflating your own self-esteem, perhaps seeking therapy might be in order or at least ask yourself why you harbor so much animosity towards the world. It is never okay to rationalize personal attacks with anonymity. Respect the person's rights, regardless of viewpoint.

forum psycho
~D4\/\/G~
That if you type in the word wiki all kinds of s#&t comes up!

jrt30004

just jokin' around
Silver Member
Why is it that there are so many negative post? I am not talking about post where someone did someone wrong, Those I can understand.

I'm talking about someone just ask a question and someone tries to make them look dumb. Or someone post something they like and others can't help but type things Like "I tried it its Junk". Someone post something they think is news and people either can't help but "thats old news" or "thats no big deal".

As a family here would it not be more productive to not reply at all ? I understand some of it is joking between old friends but sometimes it seems uncalled for. I bet on more than one occasion someone has had a question they did not ask because they were afraid someone would try to make them look stupid rather than just answer the question.

Was this a negative thread? Maybe, but my intention was more along the lines of what I was taught " be kind to others unless they give you a reason not to be"

Ok I have vented.

i think you have to think of this place just like you were hangging out in your favorite pool hall. some people get along and some don't. some people will fight over the smallest things because they either, feel they are right, need to be right about everything, don't like the person who asked the question or made the statement. then you have the people who really get along and have thier friends backs no matter what. there will always be a little tension when so many people get together in one place. i still like to believe that when all is said and done most of us would still agree that we all pool and would be able to sit down and talk about one thing or another and have the same views on at least something, find that common ground and use it to have a good healthy dialogue.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Ok I have vented.

I completely agree which is why I confine my posts to only highly intelligent content worthy of a pool hall. My attitude is if you wouldn't say it in a pool hall you shouldn't say it here.

8up

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

~D4\/\/G~

Well I would have called it a $5 word but I didn't want to admit I had a $2 vocabulary. I did have to look it up but your explanation was much easier to understand than Wiki. :D

Do you bill 50 minutes as an hour?

good stuff

9bizzle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it's also lack of communication skills in play here. Some people reply to a sarcastic statement as if it's literal, and they take offense to it, when everyone else could plainly see the sarcasm. Some people just have low reading comprehension and it goes both ways, when reading a post or typing a post and trying to get a point across. How many times have you read something and thought, "What in the hell is this person trying to say?" Like right now.:confused::smile:

blah blah

Shoebat
It's hard to respond to such a general question.

Right off the bat, I felt very very ashamed of myself for having such a terrific and hilarious time here lately, and I was deeply worried that I might have hurt someone's feelings with my stunningly funny jokes.

I am sorry if I offended anyone. I meant what I said about Cog's- they're truly beautiful, but I really don't know how they hit. And to the guy who absolutely loves his Predator shaft: Yay, Predator; I even have one too. For the male drivers who hated my little link in NPR... Learn to drive, dammit. (Sorry, I couldn't help that one.)

Truly I think you have to take it on a case- by case basis, and remember every single post was written by a different person in a different circumstance with a different level of concentration, right then.

So if you don't like a particular reaction set or an individual post, address it right then and there.

But I am sorry if I hurt any feelings- that was dead serious.

Last edited:

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
You know why that is? It's because no one is ever really responsible for their actions here. Almost everyone hides behind a fictitious name and avatar (myself included) so that when something is written that is insulting, derogatory, or just plain rude, they have no fear of being held accountable for what they say.
I made a comment to a thread last week that turned negative, which was completely my fault, and I felt bad about it. But, like so many others here I got on the onerous 'slippery slope' and couldn't seem to get off.
Actions such as these are what I consider the dark side of a any forum, and believe you me, there are worse ones than this. Were people obligated to exchange ideas in a face-to-face setting their actions would be entirely different, I assure you.

Danzing3

Registered
and

http://forums.azbilliards.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=2324798
IMO, these two are the biggest reasons why arguments and flamewars happen. The other reason is that some people are just assholes.

Fred

Forums are what they are.People will always share there own views on what they think is right dosnt mean anybody has to agree will them.

And as far as people being a$$holes i think we have all played that role before one time or another dont YOU think.

Last edited: