Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page What is a Titleist Conversion?

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average.
What is a Titleist Conversion?
Old
  (#1)
Scottyboy716
AzB Silver Member
Scottyboy716 has a reputation beyond reputeScottyboy716 has a reputation beyond reputeScottyboy716 has a reputation beyond reputeScottyboy716 has a reputation beyond reputeScottyboy716 has a reputation beyond reputeScottyboy716 has a reputation beyond reputeScottyboy716 has a reputation beyond reputeScottyboy716 has a reputation beyond reputeScottyboy716 has a reputation beyond reputeScottyboy716 has a reputation beyond reputeScottyboy716 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 900

What is a Titleist Conversion? - 04-02-2010, 10:38 PM

What is a Titleist Conversion? Do cue makers actually use old Titleist's and add to them?

Just 'cause you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not watching you!

Old
  (#2)
$TAKE HOR$E
champagne - campaign
$TAKE HOR$E has a reputation beyond repute$TAKE HOR$E has a reputation beyond repute$TAKE HOR$E has a reputation beyond repute$TAKE HOR$E has a reputation beyond repute$TAKE HOR$E has a reputation beyond repute$TAKE HOR$E has a reputation beyond repute$TAKE HOR$E has a reputation beyond repute$TAKE HOR$E has a reputation beyond repute$TAKE HOR$E has a reputation beyond repute$TAKE HOR$E has a reputation beyond repute$TAKE HOR$E has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

04-02-2010, 10:45 PM

It is an old Titlist cue that a cuemaker cuts down and makes a two piece cue. Sometimes they use just the forearm and sometimes they use the entire cue. Here is an example.
Attached Images

Don't be afraid to say what everyone else is thinking, they will talk about you forever
~ unknown

The human brain can subjugate anything, even real pain
~ Bruce Lee

Ya'll warned me, but I didnt listen.....
~ Death Ball

I'm not surprised motherf*%$#@'s
~ Nate Diaz

WWW.MACECUES.COM

DOOM
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=463005

Old
  (#3)
TATE
AzB Gold Mensch
TATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

04-02-2010, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyboy716 View Post
What is a Titleist Conversion? Do cue makers actually use old Titleist's and add to them?
Titlists are one piece cues. Conversions are the two piece equivalents made from them by custom makers. They take the old Titlists and cut them up to make custom cues. The word "conversion" happened later on - maybe in the 1980's or even 1990's - but the first to make customs from them was Herman Rambow, followed by George Balabushka and Frank Paradise, Palmer, Ginacue, Tad and so on.

It's kind of the same concept in rifles. The rifle equivalent is the Mauser - custom rifle makers used the Mauser action and shortened them, then used a custom barrel and made "sporter rifles" from them - cue makers did the same thing.

Chris

Visit my historic cues site:
www.palmercollector.com

Last edited by TATE; 04-03-2010 at 12:27 PM.

Old
  (#4)
9bizzle
AzB Silver Member
9bizzle has a reputation beyond repute9bizzle has a reputation beyond repute9bizzle has a reputation beyond repute9bizzle has a reputation beyond repute9bizzle has a reputation beyond repute9bizzle has a reputation beyond repute9bizzle has a reputation beyond repute9bizzle has a reputation beyond repute9bizzle has a reputation beyond repute9bizzle has a reputation beyond repute9bizzle has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

04-02-2010, 10:56 PM

Different things can be added by the cuemaker to dress up the cue also, such as different types of joints, butt styles, wraps, and inlays. These cues are also known for hitting like a dream.

Brett

Cues;
Predator Willie Hoppe tribute w/z2
Original Willie Hoppe Professional
Rich Benson Ebony 4 point w/ivory
Pechauer
Andy V. Custom
Titlists, 26 1/2's, and some old Brunswick house cues
3 Harold Worst signature cues made right here
in Grand Rapids

Future cues;
Brunswick 150th anniversary cue

Chalk;
Masters blue

Table;
100 year old Brunswick Wellington 9'

Pool is one hell of a drug.

Old
  (#5)
manwon
"WARLOCK 1"
manwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond repute

04-03-2010, 01:06 AM

The Brunswick 26 1/2 was the cue that the Titlist was patterned after, the Brunswick 26 1/2 was first made by Brunswick around 1908, and between 1939 - 1940 Brunswick Changed the name to Willie Hoppe Titlist.

Cue makers have been using this cues since the 1920's to convert into two piece playing. The first conversions of the Brunswick 26 1/2 and later the Titlist were made by Herman Rambo who was the production manager for Brunswicks cue department, and a few known examples were made by Harvey Martin. Later during the late 1940's Frank Paradise started using Titlist blanks to make his early cues. Then starting in the early 1960's every cue maker from Balabushka, Ernie G from Gina Cue, Palmer Custom Cues, Richard Helmstetter, Tad, Gus Szamboti and many many others also used Titlist cues in there early days.

I also have used Titlist and Brunswick 26 1/2 cues to build cues for myself and some of my customers, they make great foundations for a cue, they are full spliced blanks that are very stable if stored properly for all these years.

Below are some pictures of some my conversions:

Name:  Points.jpg
Views: 7296
Size:  102.9 KB

Name:  Butt.jpg
Views: 5397
Size:  100.4 KB

Name:  f3.jpg
Views: 5458
Size:  84.2 KB

Name:  b2.jpg
Views: 5516
Size:  78.3 KB

Name:  cue.jpg
Views: 7203
Size:  44.4 KB

Best Regards

"Warlock 1"

Craig W. Rittel

Old
  (#6)
measureman
AzB Silver Member
measureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1500

04-03-2010, 09:38 AM

What about the old Brunswick 2 piece cues. Don't they cut the butt smaller and change the joints. Are these considered "conversions" also?

Playing cue- The Mighty Lucasi Cocobolo
Back up cue - Troy Downey

"Russian Magic Chalk- good enough to steal".

Russian Magic chalk is the nuts.
Its so good my last and only cube was stolen off the table when I went to the bath room.
They left my $1000 cue but stole my chalk, how strong is that?

The Truth: If you have a stroke the gear don't matter... If you don't have a stroke the gear won't help.
The above quote by Softshot

Old
  (#7)
m79a
AzB Silver Member
m79a has a reputation beyond reputem79a has a reputation beyond reputem79a has a reputation beyond reputem79a has a reputation beyond reputem79a has a reputation beyond reputem79a has a reputation beyond reputem79a has a reputation beyond reputem79a has a reputation beyond reputem79a has a reputation beyond reputem79a has a reputation beyond reputem79a has a reputation beyond repute

04-03-2010, 10:20 AM

I'm glad someone started this thread. I've been considering asking this same question.

Never waste perfectly good sarcasm on someone to stupid to understand it.

Old
  (#8)
manwon
"WARLOCK 1"
manwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond repute

04-03-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by measureman View Post
What about the old Brunswick 2 piece cues. Don't they cut the butt smaller and change the joints. Are these considered "conversions" also?

You are certainly correct, in fact when ever a one peice cue is cut and a joint is added it is a conversion. In fact the most expensive brunswick cues ever made their model 360, was made as a one piece cue by Brunswick and then it was cut and a joint was added.

Here is a thread that shows some photo's of the Model 360 cues!!

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=181579

Best Regards

"Warlock 1"

Craig W. Rittel

Old
  (#9)
Scott Lee
AzB Silver Member

Scott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond repute

04-03-2010, 05:34 PM

Interestingly enough, I was at the Crooked Cue, in Clearwater FL this afternoon, when I spied an older gentleman playing with a VERY old Helmstetter titlist cue. I asked to see it, and learned that it was originally owned by Carl Conlon, the 3-C player (this person also happened to be from MI). The cue was the only Helmstetter pool cue I've ever seen that had the fat wooden screw in the shaft, that screwed into the butt. It's a common joint for 3-C cues, but uncommon for pool cues, to my knowledge. The butt was a beautiful old Titlist, with an original Cortland linen wrap. The fellow who owns it, also got three shafts with the cue! If I see the guy again, I'll get some photos of the cue, and post them here.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwon View Post
The Brunswick 26 1/2 was the cue that the Titlist was patterned after, the Brunswick 26 1/2 was first made by Brunswick around 1908, and between 1939 - 1940 Brunswick Changed the name to Willie Hoppe Titlist.

Cue makers have been using this cues since the 1920's to convert into two piece playing. The first conversions of the Brunswick 26 1/2 and later the Titlist were made by Herman Rambo who was the production manager for Brunswicks cue department, and a few known examples were made by Harvey Martin. Later during the late 1940's Frank Paradise started using Titlist blanks to make his early cues. Then starting in the early 1960's every cue maker from Balabushka, Ernie G from Gina Cue, Palmer Custom Cues, Richard Helmstetter, Tad, Gus Szamboti and many many others also used Titlist cues in there early days.

I also have used Titlist and Brunswick 26 1/2 cues to build cues for myself and some of my customers, they make great foundations for a cue, they are full spliced blanks that are very stable if stored properly for all these years.

Below are some pictures of some my conversions:

Attachment 132270

Attachment 132271

Attachment 132272

Attachment 132273

Attachment 132274

PBIA Master Instructor

Old
  (#10)
Scott Lee
AzB Silver Member

Scott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond repute

04-03-2010, 06:27 PM

Craig...It's interesting to note that 150 years ago, at least one company (B. Finck, of Germany) was producing a catalog with over 150 different 1- and 2-piece cues. I wonder if Brunswick took notice and copied some of their work? A photocopy of their catalog is Victor Stein's Billiard Encyclopedia.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwon View Post
You are certainly correct, in fact when ever a one peice cue is cut and a joint is added it is a conversion. In fact the most expensive brunswick cues ever made their model 360, was made as a one piece cue by Brunswick and then it was cut and a joint was added.

Here is a thread that shows some photo's of the Model 360 cues!!

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=181579

PBIA Master Instructor

Old
  (#11)
TATE
AzB Gold Mensch
TATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond repute

04-03-2010, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyboy716 View Post
In addition to the excellent information here, not all cues made from Titlists were "conversions". Some were made from "blanks" supplied by Brunswick.

Brunswick did things in an assemply line process. Blanks are oversized cues and can be seen here on my site at the link below. Brunswick had huge sanding machines to make the blanks into the finished cue - ferrule, tip and all.

Blanks were sold to a few select suppliers by Brunswick. Palmer was a major buyer of Brunswick blanks until Brunswick shut down their cue making operation sometime around 1970.

http://palmercollector.com/Titlist.html

Chris

Visit my historic cues site:
www.palmercollector.com

Old
  (#12)
manwon
"WARLOCK 1"

04-03-2010, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATE View Post
In addition to the excellent information here, not all cues made from Titlists were "conversions". Some were made from "blanks" supplied by Brunswick.

Brunswick did things in an assemply line process. Blanks are oversized cues and can be seen here on my site at the link below. Brunswick had huge sanding machines to make the blanks into the finished cue - ferrule, tip and all.

Blanks were sold to a few select suppliers by Brunswick. Palmer was a major buyer of Brunswick blanks until Brunswick shut down their cue making operation sometime around 1970.

http://palmercollector.com/Titlist.html

Chris

Chris being a part time cue maker I have to disagree with you on one point, at least in my opinion if a cue maker doesn't build a blank the cue made from that blank is still a conversion. At least that is the standard I hold myself too, some will disagree I am certain and that is ok. But when I say I built a cue and do not use the word conversion in the title the only parts I did not fashion are the pin, bumper and possible a weight bolt if I use one.

Take care Buddy

Best Regards

"Warlock 1"

Craig W. Rittel

Old
  (#13)
jimibop
AzB Bronze Member
jimibop has a reputation beyond reputejimibop has a reputation beyond reputejimibop has a reputation beyond reputejimibop has a reputation beyond reputejimibop has a reputation beyond reputejimibop has a reputation beyond reputejimibop has a reputation beyond reputejimibop has a reputation beyond reputejimibop has a reputation beyond reputejimibop has a reputation beyond reputejimibop has a reputation beyond repute

05-29-2014, 06:04 AM

This is a picture of a titlest from the 50.s. It was converted in 1990's by a local cuemaker in Long Island NY. It is one of my nicest cues.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/attach...1&d=1399499957

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: