Broken slate, soup cans, clamps, L-channel, straight edge, super-glue, and bondo.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Broken Slate 001.JPG

Broken Slate 002.JPG

Broken Slate 003.JPG

Broken Slate 004.JPG

Broken Slate 005.JPG

Elephant Man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OIC. Chicken noodle depth consistency for level. How do slates usually get broken anyway? Over tightening? Not looking forward to relocating mine, but good to know if I drop it on my toe it is fixable. :grin-square:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
..if I drop it on my toe it is fixable. :grin-square:

Yes, but your toe won't be:D I don't know how this slate was broke, all I know is it's been broke for the last 5 recoveries and no one's done a thing about it, but I don't work that way...so I'm fixing it.

Glen

Wes Moran

The Crappy Cue Guy
Silver Member
Ewww....

Good on you for doing honest quality work...I know how it is, as a self acclaimed craftsman I can't do any work Half _ssed. Its just not in me to do work that Im not proud to put my name on it.

Club Billiards

Absolute Billiard Service
Silver Member
Nice play by play with the pictures, Glen. Once that's glued, I assume you just treat it like you would any other seam?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Wouldn't some sort of epoxy be a better choice for something like this?

Actually not because you'd have to apply it before the broken slate is put in place, and that's when it needs to be flat leveled against the other side, which can take some time to accomplish. Once the pieces are fit together and flat/level...if you use the thin based super-glue, it'll seep right through the crack and come out the bottom, which is why I have a strip of duct tape across the bottom of the crack...to create a dam. If you watch the super-glue in the crack, it'll keep soaking in until it backs its way back out and forms a bead of glue on top of the break, that's when you know you've glued it as far down as you're going to get. Once the glue drys, I just scrape off any excess, then use bondo to fill any missing pieces of slate. With that done, I turn the slate over and repeat on the bottom if needed. I've put plenty of one piece slates back together the same way broke all the way down the middle lengthwise.

Glen

JZMechanix

Silver Member
Nice work, and thanks for sharing. :thumbup: Is there a particular brand of glue that you've found that works better than the others?

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Glen,

Thanks for the pictures and post.

Obviously you wouldn't do it if it wasn't strong enough...but exactly how strong/durable is the super glue? I assume tightening down the slate screws hase 0 chance of snapping that corner back off?

Thanks again to all the mechanics who contribute here,
Ian