Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Products Talk > Ask The Cuemaker
Reload this Page butterfly splices/points?
Page 1 of 4 1 23 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
butterfly splices/points?
Old
  (#1)
jfais1717
A.K.A Jimmy Tipless
jfais1717 has a reputation beyond reputejfais1717 has a reputation beyond reputejfais1717 has a reputation beyond reputejfais1717 has a reputation beyond reputejfais1717 has a reputation beyond reputejfais1717 has a reputation beyond reputejfais1717 has a reputation beyond reputejfais1717 has a reputation beyond reputejfais1717 has a reputation beyond reputejfais1717 has a reputation beyond reputejfais1717 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

butterfly splices/points? - 05-10-2010, 07:00 PM

i was just admiring some of the cues in the FS section and was jsut wondering how these were made? laminated strips before turning them down? or use a bit to cut them in and then press in laminations before turning down? as you can see ive been tryin to figure it out cause thats the type of brain i have but i just cant figure it out lol thanks for any help

Old
  (#2)
Blue Hog ridr
World Famous Fisherman.
Blue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

05-10-2010, 07:52 PM

Brent, BHQ is the resident BF maker. Maybe he will spill and let us in on some trade secrets.
Cause I wouldn't mind knowing some of the intricacies myself.

Old
  (#3)
Mr Hoppe
Sawdust maker
Mr Hoppe has a reputation beyond reputeMr Hoppe has a reputation beyond reputeMr Hoppe has a reputation beyond reputeMr Hoppe has a reputation beyond reputeMr Hoppe has a reputation beyond reputeMr Hoppe has a reputation beyond reputeMr Hoppe has a reputation beyond reputeMr Hoppe has a reputation beyond reputeMr Hoppe has a reputation beyond reputeMr Hoppe has a reputation beyond reputeMr Hoppe has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25

05-10-2010, 10:22 PM

You can see the technique in action on Chris Hightower's videos.
Mr H

Old
  (#4)
BHQ
we'll miss you
BHQ has a reputation beyond reputeBHQ has a reputation beyond reputeBHQ has a reputation beyond reputeBHQ has a reputation beyond reputeBHQ has a reputation beyond reputeBHQ has a reputation beyond reputeBHQ has a reputation beyond reputeBHQ has a reputation beyond reputeBHQ has a reputation beyond reputeBHQ has a reputation beyond reputeBHQ has a reputation beyond repute

05-11-2010, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfais1717 View Post
i was just admiring some of the cues in the FS section and was jsut wondering how these were made? laminated strips before turning them down? or use a bit to cut them in and then press in laminations before turning down? as you can see ive been tryin to figure it out cause thats the type of brain i have but i just cant figure it out lol thanks for any help
here's basic butterfly 101,
because that's all i know how to draw
and i'm just a basic kind of guy

for this example, this is two points on a forearm
the black is cut to a wedge
the blue gets glued onto each side
*i'd love to find some blue wood

the angle of the cut determines two things ,
1) the steeper the angle will make them wider
if not steep enough, then they look too thin like needles

2) the measurement at the spot on the black,
the width between the blues, determines where the butterflies will fall after it's turned to round
at my cutting angle, for every 10/1000ths turned off , the butterfly moves back approx. 100/1000ths

this isn't "splicing"
i guess you could call it "laminating"

that help?
i'm putting a couple 3 point forearms together right now
i'll try to get you a few real pics , not drawings

Old
  (#5)
ScottR
AzB Silver Member
ScottR has a reputation beyond reputeScottR has a reputation beyond reputeScottR has a reputation beyond reputeScottR has a reputation beyond reputeScottR has a reputation beyond reputeScottR has a reputation beyond reputeScottR has a reputation beyond reputeScottR has a reputation beyond reputeScottR has a reputation beyond reputeScottR has a reputation beyond reputeScottR has a reputation beyond repute

05-11-2010, 05:49 AM

What Brent won't tell you is the "real" secret to catching butterflies with wings that are big enough to laminate between wood layers. Don't even get him started on the different colors of butterflies.

Scott

Old
  (#6)
BHQ
we'll miss you
BHQ has a reputation beyond reputeBHQ has a reputation beyond reputeBHQ has a reputation beyond reputeBHQ has a reputation beyond reputeBHQ has a reputation beyond reputeBHQ has a reputation beyond reputeBHQ has a reputation beyond reputeBHQ has a reputation beyond reputeBHQ has a reputation beyond reputeBHQ has a reputation beyond reputeBHQ has a reputation beyond repute

05-11-2010, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottR View Post
What Brent won't tell you is the "real" secret to catching butterflies with wings that are big enough to laminate between wood layers. Don't even get him started on the different colors of butterflies.

Scott
LOL
yeah, me & colors dont mix

this was glued up yesterday
step 1 of a 3pointer

after turning off the excess , getting ready for the second cut

Old
  (#7)
jfais1717
A.K.A Jimmy Tipless
jfais1717 has a reputation beyond reputejfais1717 has a reputation beyond reputejfais1717 has a reputation beyond reputejfais1717 has a reputation beyond reputejfais1717 has a reputation beyond reputejfais1717 has a reputation beyond reputejfais1717 has a reputation beyond reputejfais1717 has a reputation beyond reputejfais1717 has a reputation beyond reputejfais1717 has a reputation beyond reputejfais1717 has a reputation beyond repute

05-11-2010, 12:09 PM

ok so the veneers/wood being laminated in is flat and the forearm/handle/butt section is just milled flat and then both are turned round and depending on the angle depends on how thin or thick the butterflies are? i get that right?

Old
  (#8)
BHQ
we'll miss you

05-11-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfais1717 View Post
ok so the veneers/wood being laminated in is flat and the forearm/handle/butt section is just milled flat and then both are turned round and depending on the angle depends on how thin or thick the butterflies are? i get that right?
you got it
now youre ready to build bflys

added: the thickness of the veneer determines how long each bfly is

Last edited by BHQ; 05-11-2010 at 01:33 PM.

Old
  (#9)
Graciocues
AzB Silver Member
Graciocues has a reputation beyond reputeGraciocues has a reputation beyond reputeGraciocues has a reputation beyond reputeGraciocues has a reputation beyond reputeGraciocues has a reputation beyond reputeGraciocues has a reputation beyond reputeGraciocues has a reputation beyond reputeGraciocues has a reputation beyond reputeGraciocues has a reputation beyond reputeGraciocues has a reputation beyond reputeGraciocues has a reputation beyond repute

05-11-2010, 04:02 PM

[QUOTE=BHQ;2414092]

No idea what it's called.
Attached Images

My web:
Graciocues.com
Phone: 509-953-1219
E-mail: gcuescustoms@aol.com

Sorry not taking orders. I need to make sure I stay on schedule and I can't take any new orders.

Old
  (#10)
BHQ
we'll miss you

05-11-2010, 04:23 PM

[QUOTE=Graciocues;2415144]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHQ View Post

even as colorblind as i am,
i'd say that is BLUE

Old
  (#11)
Jim Baxter
AzB Silver Member

Jim Baxter has a reputation beyond reputeJim Baxter has a reputation beyond reputeJim Baxter has a reputation beyond reputeJim Baxter has a reputation beyond reputeJim Baxter has a reputation beyond reputeJim Baxter has a reputation beyond reputeJim Baxter has a reputation beyond reputeJim Baxter has a reputation beyond reputeJim Baxter has a reputation beyond reputeJim Baxter has a reputation beyond reputeJim Baxter has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2700

05-11-2010, 04:27 PM

Here is some Alowood Ebany, dark blue.

I'm going to make some red , white and blue j/ps for the 4th of July . red and white stich ring.

Custom Joint Protectors for Sale

Contact info Ph. 253-226-0932 Never text me ................ Email jbaxte@earthlink.net

Old
  (#12)
Blue Hog ridr
World Famous Fisherman.
Blue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond repute

05-11-2010, 05:53 PM

Quote:
I believe its Smurfwood.
It is pretty tho and a nice veneer color.

Old
  (#13)
GBCues
Damn, still .002 TIR!
GBCues has a reputation beyond reputeGBCues has a reputation beyond reputeGBCues has a reputation beyond reputeGBCues has a reputation beyond reputeGBCues has a reputation beyond reputeGBCues has a reputation beyond reputeGBCues has a reputation beyond reputeGBCues has a reputation beyond reputeGBCues has a reputation beyond reputeGBCues has a reputation beyond reputeGBCues has a reputation beyond repute

05-11-2010, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHQ View Post
Brent,

Isn't this one of your cues?

That sure looks like a blue butterfly to me.

Camera?

Gary
Attached Images

Player - GBCues 18oz BEM Front, Leather Wrap, and Black Walnut Buttcap Player. OB-2 Shaft
BreakStick - GBCues 17oz Marblewood Front, Leather Wrap, Mahogany Butt Cap (Black Walnut Shaft)

Old
  (#14)
BHQ
we'll miss you

05-11-2010, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEBrown View Post
Brent,

Isn't this one of your cues?

That sure looks like a blue butterfly to me.

Camera?

Gary
yes it is
blue veneers @ .9mm thick
i was talking about thicker boards for the outer butterflies

Old
  (#15)
jfais1717
A.K.A Jimmy Tipless

05-11-2010, 06:50 PM

so if thickness affects the size of the butterfly then how do you take it down? with a planer? or just with sandpaper/ sander?

Page 1 of 4 1 23 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: