Fez Kasan

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
I'm really interested in learning more about this guy, Fez Kasan. If anyone has any stories they can share, I'd greatly appreciate it. If anyone has any insight about his relationship with Ralph Greenleaf, I'd love to hear it.

Dave

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm really interested in learning more about this guy, Fez Kasan. If anyone has any stories they can share, I'd greatly appreciate it. If anyone has any insight about his relationship with Ralph Greenleaf, I'd love to hear it.

Dave

I am going to assume you speak of Fez from Las Cruces NM. if so, I met him in the early 80's in Odessa Tx. I was on the road with a guy from Denver and we were doing ok. Money wwas pretty loose in that area back in that day.

We ended up in a bar in either Midland or odessa can't remember but called the Derrick. I was pretty cocky and new Billy Weir wasnt around so, I fel t pretty confident. Finally a kid asked me if I wanted to play Fez and pinted ot the bar. hell he looke ancient even then. SO I said hell yes.
We started playing $30 9ball on the bar box and I wasn't losing but wasn't getting any where real fast. We raised to $50 and then $100 and this old fart would not go away.
Fianlly at 2 AM they ran us out of there and I think I was 3-4 games up and I was gald they did. We got outside and started talking and I liked the gentleman right away. He asked where we were staying and I tld him although, Inever did that. At 8 am I get a knock on the door and there he stood.
We went to a Waffel house down the street and sat there andtalked for hours. he turned out to be one of the greatest people I ever met. he was a prince of a guy. he was good on the road too, Pool poker, dominoes, you name it, he knew it pretty well at least.
las t I heardhe was in a nursing home in Las Cruces and notso great. He must be 95 yearsold, but not sure.
Don't know about Greenleaf, But I heard him and Jimmy Moore arguing in Albuquerqe andit was hilarious. They loved each other.
he told me his nickname was Fez but it started out and "Fists" and somehow turned into Fez. His real name I am not sure I ever knew.
A most interesting mand. A Good man!

Black jack may shed more light on hime than I ever could!

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
Dave

There are a few people on the forums that can give you additional information about Fez (besides me). The best resource would probably be LPAC - his dad (Joe) has known Fez twice as long as I have. Maybe Louie can get you in touch with his dad. Also try getting with swrooster and McKinneyMiner - they also know Fez very well and have heard most of the stories about his time with Jimmy Moore and Don Willis. I don't know if they could give you any more information than I have already given you about aiming, but they can validate that Fez is a credible source for that information.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dave...I'm pretty sure I met Fez the same day I met you, at the Clicks in El Paso, when I was working with Roy Stanford, who had driven down to EP from northern NM to meet me for a lesson. That had to be at least 10-15 years ago. He was a hoot, and I always was sorry that I didn't get a chance to see his 'cue collection'.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Dave

There are a few people on the forums that can give you additional information about Fez (besides me). The best resource would probably be LPAC - his dad (Joe) has known Fez twice as long as I have. Maybe Louie can get you in touch with his dad. Also try getting with swrooster and McKinneyMiner - they also know Fez very well and have heard most of the stories about his time with Jimmy Moore and Don Willis. I don't know if they could give you any more information than I have already given you about aiming, but they can validate that Fez is a credible source for that information.

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
Dave...I'm pretty sure I met Fez the same day I met you, at the Clicks in El Paso, when I was working with Roy Stanford, who had driven down to EP from northern NM to meet me for a lesson. That had to be at least 10-15 years ago. He was a hoot, and I always was sorry that I didn't get a chance to see his 'cue collection'.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

You're right, Scott! That was Fez.

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
Just an update: I received word from LPAC this morning that my friend Fez passed away on March 5.

Anybody that stopped through El Paso, eventually met Fez. He was older gentleman adorned with big glasses, a golf cap, and white windbreaker. He had an extensive collection of cues, and wealth of knowledge and pool history.

Fez is the person that introduced me to Cowboy Jimmy Moore. He had a lot of stories about Jimmy Moore and Don Willis, and also Greenleaf. He had no trouble telling those stories to anybody that had two ears sticking out of their head.

:)

Fez also introduced me to how to conduct myself in business affairs - education - and in legal matters. Fez was a big part of my life for over 25+ years. Everybody will miss this guy. We lost a truly good guy, IMO, the last of a dying breed.Rest in peace, my friend.

Obituary for Philip Kasem
PHILIP A. KASEM (Fizz), 96, son of Lebanese and Palestinian immigrants, business man, veteran, pool player, boxer died March 5, 2011;preceded in death by beloved parents ...

Last edited:

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Thanks for the PM, Blackjack.

This is sad. This guy was a time machine back to an era of pool none of us have seen (we're not old enough). I believe Fez used to run around with Greenleaf as well.

Very sad. RIP my friend.

Dave

Mikjary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was hoping to hear some of Fez's stories after learning about him a while back. I'm sure a forum member could let one or two go. Rest easy, Fez.

Best,
Mike