Jump stick suggestions?

Kurt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So currently I'm using an 18 ounce J&J break/combo stick to do my jumping. It works pretty well for me. However, I'm thinking of changing it out since I would like to try a hard leather tip for breaking instead of the phenolic that comes on the J&J. Since I don't want to carry this thing around with me if I won't be using it for breaking, I'll likely just purchase a separate jump stick.

Can anybody give me suggestions on what the best jump stick is in their opinion? I'm looking for weight, brand, and tip material (i.e. leather, phenolic, carbon fiber backing, etc.)

I tried the Predator Air, but for some reason I just can't jump well with it. I can successfully jump 5 balls in a row with my J&J combo, but can barely jump one ball with the Predator Air.

qexpert_101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Alex Brick

I have an Alex Brick made out of diamondwood with a white diamond tip that jumps better than any other jump cue I've owned. It is a bit heavy but it gets the cue ball up with ease. :thumbup:

zy112

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have an Alex Brick made out of diamondwood with a white diamond tip that jumps better than any other jump cue I've owned. It is a bit heavy but it gets the cue ball up with ease. :thumbup:

I'm sorry but what is diamond wood?

barber23

Chad The Bad
Silver Member
I use a stinger j/b with a samsara b/j tip. It is very controlable and easy to jump with.

Chad

kyo1128

Risa Yoshiki is HOT also
Silver Member
My friend had Lomax jump cue. It was so easy, it was almost stupid.
My Varney jump break does very good job also.

Kurt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is better for jumping, a phenolic tip or some type of hard leather tip? Advice on this would be great.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
There was a thread about this very question not long ago and the two that were most recommended were the Lomax and the Jacoby jump cues.

I use a Jacoby and am very happy with it. So far on this thread it's looking like Lomax.

You'll probably be happy with either choice.

I would like to know what the price comparison is for these, if anyone knows, please advise.

Best,
Brian kc

Kurt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In regards to the people who swear by Lomax jump cues...are you talking about his combo break jumps? Or just his jump sticks? Or are they both the same, and both perform the same?

I'd like to know peoples experiences to see if jump breaks in general make as good of a jump stick as a jump stick by itself.

hanshewcustom-q

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jump cue

you can try one of mine for free........i just posted in the wanted/for sale section. you also have an offer to try a lomax for free. thats where i would start if i were you as you have nothing to lose but whatever the shipping cost is

joelpope

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
you might want to give the predator another shot.... it is a little different but I have found that in the short configuration with a dart stroke it does very well for close / short up & down jumps and in the long configuration with a traditional stroke it can make any distance jump you need

also, I shape the tip to dime circ. and keep it roughed up.. a lot of folks just ignore their phenolic tips thinking they are bullet proof

Kurt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you might want to give the predator another shot.... it is a little different but I have found that in the short configuration with a dart stroke it does very well for close / short up & down jumps and in the long configuration with a traditional stroke it can make any distance jump you need

also, I shape the tip to dime circ. and keep it roughed up.. a lot of folks just ignore their phenolic tips thinking they are bullet proof

I wouldn't even know how to go about shaping my phenolic tipped predator air. But I can tell you, for me, there seems to be a night and day difference between it and my J&J jump/break combo. I'll try a jump shot with the air...and get hardly any jump..then I'll try a jump shot with the J&J and jump it perfectly. I've repeated this experiment multiple times and get the same results. I highly doubt it's the stick, since it seems nothing is wrong with it...I think it's just my stroke is somehow incompatible with the predator air's weight or something.