Reload this Page need help/advice please
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
need help/advice please
Old
  (#1)
mm4pool
AzB Silver Member
mm4pool has a reputation beyond reputemm4pool has a reputation beyond reputemm4pool has a reputation beyond reputemm4pool has a reputation beyond reputemm4pool has a reputation beyond reputemm4pool has a reputation beyond reputemm4pool has a reputation beyond reputemm4pool has a reputation beyond reputemm4pool has a reputation beyond reputemm4pool has a reputation beyond reputemm4pool has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1775

need help/advice please - 06-22-2010, 11:15 AM

hello all,

i have been reading the forum for a while trying to find info to help me improve my game, what little game i have. i play league 2 nights a weeks and am currently a strong 4/weak 5 level, in fact i ran my first rack of 8 ball in competition just last week.

my question - last night i played against a player i classify as a banger, the type who should receive frequent flier miles on the travel of the cue ball, sends balls flying and being APA has balls dropping not in intended pockets, misses end up with me hooked through no effort of his. in 11 innings of 9 ball i had to kick out from 8 unintentional safties. needless to say my mental state was shot half way through the match. what can i do during a match to change or alter the seemingly "good luck" of my opponent and get back in control of myself and the match?

i can play pretty even with higher skill players who have good command of the cueball and have even beaten a couple, but match me up against a "banger" and i go to peices.

HELP!

Mike

Sorry for the lengthy post

Age: Old enough to know better.......but still too young to care
Cue: Don Wallace semi Sneaky
BC:
Case: J. Flowers Tribute
Table:

Be the kind of man that when your feet hit the floor each morning the
devil says "Oh Crap, He's up!"

Old
  (#2)
s'portplayer
Midnight Rambler
s'portplayer has a reputation beyond reputes'portplayer has a reputation beyond reputes'portplayer has a reputation beyond reputes'portplayer has a reputation beyond reputes'portplayer has a reputation beyond reputes'portplayer has a reputation beyond reputes'portplayer has a reputation beyond reputes'portplayer has a reputation beyond reputes'portplayer has a reputation beyond reputes'portplayer has a reputation beyond reputes'portplayer has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500
  Send a message via Yahoo to s'portplayer  
06-22-2010, 11:58 AM

Don't worry about who you're playing and the leaves they give you, no matter if they're intentional or unintentional.

Just concentrate on playing the table, when it's your turn.

Old
  (#3)
stljohnny
knowledge > execution. :(
stljohnny has a reputation beyond reputestljohnny has a reputation beyond reputestljohnny has a reputation beyond reputestljohnny has a reputation beyond reputestljohnny has a reputation beyond reputestljohnny has a reputation beyond reputestljohnny has a reputation beyond reputestljohnny has a reputation beyond reputestljohnny has a reputation beyond reputestljohnny has a reputation beyond reputestljohnny has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1000

06-22-2010, 01:13 PM

I still do a similar thing. It's like somewhere in a brains, we think "ah, i got this guy, don't have to try" ... and we continually screw up our shots, positions, etc. I like s'portplayer suggested - try not to think about the rating/ranking of your opponents - and either treat everyone as a threat and stay in contant focus/stroke or no one (removing anxiety/pressure from the match and just having fun - also a good way to stay in stroke).

Player: Custom Treadway!!!
Breaker: BK2 + OBBreak + Samsara

Twitter: StlJohnnyPool

Pool student since August 2009.

Old
  (#4)
DogsPlayingPool
"What's in your wallet?"
DogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond repute

06-22-2010, 01:29 PM

I've noticed it helps to develop the "pros" mentality. That is, when you miss you sit down until the other guy misses - period. When it is your turn at the table realize that you now have control regardless of the position you've been left in.

If you're left with no shot understand you are still in control with how you leave him. There are some creative ways to combat a banging opponent even when he's leaving you unintentionally hooked seemingly time after time. If he doesn't have the skills to get out, try tying up his portion of the layout even if it means giving him ball in hand knowing the odds are you will get another chance and in the effort to break loose his tied up balls he will likely leave you a shot.

8 Ball at league level is not usually a run out game.

"It's not enough that you just have talent, you gotta have character too." - Eddie Felson

Old
  (#5)
mm4pool
AzB Silver Member
mm4pool has a reputation beyond reputemm4pool has a reputation beyond reputemm4pool has a reputation beyond reputemm4pool has a reputation beyond reputemm4pool has a reputation beyond reputemm4pool has a reputation beyond reputemm4pool has a reputation beyond reputemm4pool has a reputation beyond reputemm4pool has a reputation beyond reputemm4pool has a reputation beyond reputemm4pool has a reputation beyond repute

06-22-2010, 01:37 PM

i guess this is part of the maturation process to become a better player, it just ticks me off to try so hard to play a better controlled game and to see some players get rewarded for slop and luck. i will have to work on concentrating on my game and ignore that which i cannot control.

thanks guys

Mike

BC:
Table:

Old
  (#6)
DogsPlayingPool
"What's in your wallet?"
DogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond repute

06-22-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4pool View Post
i guess this is part of the maturation process to become a better player, it just ticks me off to try so hard to play a better controlled game and to see some players get rewarded for slop and luck. i will have to work on concentrating on my game and ignore that which i cannot control.

thanks guys

Mike
Now you're thinking like a pro.

"It's not enough that you just have talent, you gotta have character too." - Eddie Felson

Old
  (#7)
SKJoss72
AzB Silver Member
SKJoss72 has a reputation beyond reputeSKJoss72 has a reputation beyond reputeSKJoss72 has a reputation beyond reputeSKJoss72 has a reputation beyond reputeSKJoss72 has a reputation beyond reputeSKJoss72 has a reputation beyond reputeSKJoss72 has a reputation beyond reputeSKJoss72 has a reputation beyond reputeSKJoss72 has a reputation beyond reputeSKJoss72 has a reputation beyond reputeSKJoss72 has a reputation beyond repute

06-22-2010, 02:56 PM

well I have been through the same and also had to come to the realization, that if you are gonna play in the APA which we know allows slop/luck shots, you should find a way to shake it off because it is gonna happen alot more than you like

I was having this done to me to the point that I was so frustrated i would do something dumb and hook myself, good luck and as a part of getting better you will learn to not fall apart when Crap happens

Old
  (#8)
peteypooldude
I see Edges
peteypooldude has a reputation beyond reputepeteypooldude has a reputation beyond reputepeteypooldude has a reputation beyond reputepeteypooldude has a reputation beyond reputepeteypooldude has a reputation beyond reputepeteypooldude has a reputation beyond reputepeteypooldude has a reputation beyond reputepeteypooldude has a reputation beyond reputepeteypooldude has a reputation beyond reputepeteypooldude has a reputation beyond reputepeteypooldude has a reputation beyond repute

06-22-2010, 04:18 PM

You have to play the table,make the best of your turn.People who slam the balls around get lucky sometimes and that is part of the game.I do not watch them play,I may glance if something is close to a possible bad hit,some people play just like their opponent .Play your game and do not worry about things out of your control
Peteypooldude

Old
  (#9)
Neil
AzB Silver Member
Neil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2200

06-22-2010, 05:59 PM

Last edited by Neil; 07-14-2012 at 03:45 AM.

Old
  (#10)
okinawa77
AzB Silver Member
okinawa77 has a reputation beyond reputeokinawa77 has a reputation beyond reputeokinawa77 has a reputation beyond reputeokinawa77 has a reputation beyond reputeokinawa77 has a reputation beyond reputeokinawa77 has a reputation beyond reputeokinawa77 has a reputation beyond reputeokinawa77 has a reputation beyond reputeokinawa77 has a reputation beyond reputeokinawa77 has a reputation beyond reputeokinawa77 has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via Yahoo to okinawa77  
06-22-2010, 06:02 PM

I recommend Phil Capelle's "A Mind for Pool". It has helped me with the mental aspect of competition.

Old
  (#11)
peteypooldude
I see Edges
peteypooldude has a reputation beyond reputepeteypooldude has a reputation beyond reputepeteypooldude has a reputation beyond reputepeteypooldude has a reputation beyond reputepeteypooldude has a reputation beyond reputepeteypooldude has a reputation beyond reputepeteypooldude has a reputation beyond reputepeteypooldude has a reputation beyond reputepeteypooldude has a reputation beyond reputepeteypooldude has a reputation beyond reputepeteypooldude has a reputation beyond repute

06-22-2010, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Learn to kick. The better you get, the more you are going to find that you have to kick a lot of the time when you get to the table. Might as well learn how to handle it now, you will need it later.
This is also very true

Same problem
Old
  (#12)
5andout
AzB Silver Member
5andout has a reputation beyond repute5andout has a reputation beyond repute5andout has a reputation beyond repute5andout has a reputation beyond repute5andout has a reputation beyond repute5andout has a reputation beyond repute5andout has a reputation beyond repute5andout has a reputation beyond repute5andout has a reputation beyond repute5andout has a reputation beyond repute5andout has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via Yahoo to 5andout  
Same problem - 06-22-2010, 07:15 PM

I have the same problem. Ther is this one guy around here that I should beat and have before badly. But as soon as he starts pissing balls and leaves our match goes to he'll I can't win. Then there goes the 9 on the break several times. I beat players better than him but he is my mental demon. Go figure. Sooner or later we just say fk it I guess.

Old
  (#13)
mm4pool
AzB Silver Member

06-22-2010, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Learn to kick. The better you get, the more you are going to find that you have to kick a lot of the time when you get to the table. Might as well learn how to handle it now, you will need it later.
very true Neil. i was able to kick out of about 70% of his slop safeties, only problem was i left him in the open. lol. i need lots ofwork on my return kick safety game. oh this game we love.

Mike

BC:
Table:

Old
  (#14)
mm4pool
AzB Silver Member

06-22-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteypooldude View Post
You have to play the table,make the best of your turn.People who slam the balls around get lucky sometimes and that is part of the game.I do not watch them play,I may glance if something is close to a possible bad hit,some people play just like their opponent .Play your game and do not worry about things out of your control
Peteypooldude
one of the better players in our area told me basically this same thing. i will try this next time if someone from my team is handy to watch the table for me.

Mike

BC:
Table:

Hang Tough
Old
  (#15)
Rak9up
AzB Silver Member
Rak9up has a reputation beyond reputeRak9up has a reputation beyond reputeRak9up has a reputation beyond reputeRak9up has a reputation beyond reputeRak9up has a reputation beyond reputeRak9up has a reputation beyond reputeRak9up has a reputation beyond reputeRak9up has a reputation beyond reputeRak9up has a reputation beyond reputeRak9up has a reputation beyond reputeRak9up has a reputation beyond repute

Hang Tough - 06-22-2010, 08:26 PM

Besides not worring about who you play.
Your at the most frustrating time for any player
When a 2 3 or a 4 misses its usually its early in the rack. So in 8 ball it still leaves alot of your balls to still have to shoot around. Making it harder for the opponent to get out with all that clutter.
But the 5's and 6's usually run the entire rack less the 8 or 1 other ball this makes it much easier for an opponent to get out you've cleared everything out of their way.
Hang tough.....It will come

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: