Question about phenolic joint collars...Why do they fade?

macneilb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi there, I was just wondering why some joint collars, black especially, tend to face to where they you can see the fiber lines. I have two Schon shafts shown here below that I've had for a long time.On one of them the black phenolic is still solid black, and on the other the phenolic has faded this in this way as can be see in the pics below.

*Also, I was also wondering what makes brown phenolic darken up over time (exposure to light, dark, etc.)?

But back to my original point, the solid black phenolic collar is first, the faded on is second. I was just wondering why this fading happens to some, but not others.

SOLID BLACK COLLAR
SchonShafts025.jpg

FADED BLACK COLLAR
364409750_o.jpg

Thanks to anyone with any info :)

Last edited:

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've heard people attribute the fading to a reaction between the pigment or dye in the plastic and prolonged exposure to table lighting.

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
Hi there, I was just wondering why some joint collars, black especially, tend to face to where they you can see the fiber lines. I have two Schon shafts shown here below that I've had for a long time.On one of them the black phenolic is still solid black, and on the other the phenolic has faded this in this way as can be see in the pics below.

*Also, I was also wondering what makes brown phenolic darken up over time (exposure to light, dark, etc.)?

But back to my original point, the solid black phenolic collar is first, the faded on is second. I was just wondering why this fading happens to some, but not others.

Thanks to anyone with any info :)

It is all about the material and the finish that is used when the cue was built. First, the material in both your photo's is Phenolic which is a linen based material not a plastic like another poster said and the lines are actually linen fibers that have aged or were never really that black in the first place. The older material also would age because the finished used during that time frame had no UV protection unlike most finishes today.

Much of the older Phenolic was less Black than what we are using today. The material most cue makers use today is known as double Black Phenolic, and once finished little if any of the fiber can be seen through the finish.

Hope this helps