Someone PLEASE explain. I'm at a loss!!!

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
This is not a league-bashing thread.

Two things have happened since last Thursday night that I simply cannot figure out. We were playing league 9-ball against the team that has the League Operator on it.

1.) On last weeks scoresheet, the opposing team had 5 (five) players on the roster whose aggregate skill levels totaled 23 (the league maximum).

The League Operators skill level was a SL4 (he's a SL6 in 8-ball). I've seen him play, he's better than a SL4.

Last Thursday, his team signed-up a new player (a woman who starts out as a SL2). The League Operator was a no-show.

On this weeks updated website, the League Operator's skill level is NOW a SL5, although he did not play last week, nor has he played thus far this session. (Funny how it went "right up" when the team no longer had a problem with the 23-rule, isn't it?)

How does he go up a skill level without playing a match, and wouldn't this have "cheated" my team had he shown up and played as a SL4 last week???

2.) They signed up a new player last week, a woman who starts out as a SL2, as she is supposed to.

She plays a match against a woman on our team who is also a SL2.

She beats our woman SL2 in about 24-26 innings (normal innings for a SL2) by a 12-8 score.

Their SL2 woman, after WINNING her first match against an equally ranked opponent in normal innings for their skill levels, DROPS to a SL1 after this ONE match.

My teams have had NUMEROUS women on them in the not-so-distant past lose their first 4-5 matches, many times in lo-o-o-o-ng innings, before they went down a skill level (to a SL1).

How in the HELL does this woman WIN her first match (in normal innings for the skill level she was) and not at least stay where she was rated???

Can somebody make some sense of this??? I cannot, and I doubt you are going to make a believer out of me either.

I HAVE e-mailed the League Operator AND National Headquarters looking for an explanation. I am awaiting their replies. I do not think that anything they tell me is going to be to my satisfaction, how the way things work for some teams, but not others.

This is not a crying or whining thread, just wondering if someone can possibly give me some insight as to how these two scenarios could have come about.

Maniac

Last edited:

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would be interested in what my LO had to say. His/her explanation (in front of interested witnesses) may shed light on what's going on.

Keep us posted.

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
Ever hear of the "Golden Rule"?

He with the Gold, makes the rules!

Sorry to say so, but it happens. Life's not fair. Buyer beware. I could go on and on. :frown:

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
How does he go up a skill level without playing a match, and wouldn't this have "cheated" my team had he shown up and played as a SL4 last week???

One way is if he plays on another team on another night or. So, if your match was on a Monday, he could have a match on Wednesday that affected his handicap. In my area, those matches are used for your weekly handicap. In that way, it's not possible to have two different handicap on two different teams on different nights.

Another way is if there's an APA qualifier tournament using the same format as your weekly league night. In my area, they also use these as part of your weekly handicap. If you play three matches, you have three more matches that could affect your handicap.

Not saying these are the reasons, because we've all seen nutty things happen. But, these are two possible reasons.

Fred

zy112

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like Fred said, he may play on another team and that could affect his handicapp.

Here's one that happened to me this last week... I went down from a 6 and started this session as a 5. I lost 4-1 last week to another 5 and this week was moved up to a 6. How the F does that work?

The_Rookie

Bear Down, Chicago Bears
Silver Member
One way is if he plays on another team on another night or. So, if your match was on a Monday, he could have a match on Wednesday that affected his handicap. In my area, those matches are used for your weekly handicap. In that way, it's not possible to have two different handicap on two different teams on different nights.

Another way is if there's an APA qualifier tournament using the same format as your weekly league night. In my area, they also use these as part of your weekly handicap. If you play three matches, you have three more matches that could affect your handicap.

Not saying these are the reasons, because we've all seen nutty things happen. But, these are two possible reasons.

Fred

This is true

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Also what you consider normal innings for their skill level might not actually be normal and your 2 might have been at the high end of the 2 rating and her opponent that went down to a 1 might have been at the low end.

Either that or your league operator is risking his job to get an edge and is paying someone off at the home office who is in cahoots with him cuz that would be worth the time and risk.:rolleyes:

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Also what you consider normal innings for their skill level might not actually be normal and your 2 might have been at the high end of the 2 rating and her opponent that went down to a 1 might have been at the low end.

This does NOT explain how in the not-so-distant past two of our women players started out LOSING their first four or five matches in innings that were as great or greater than this woman had last Thursday night and it took THEM half a session before they dropped a skill level. Now seriously, don't you think there is something innately wrong with a woman winning her first match and going DOWN??? FWIW, 24-26 innings in a match of SL2's is probably close to normal in most areas. It took 4+ racks for the match to end with zero safeties played. That equates to about 6 innings per rack, typical for ANY SL2 in 9-ball. Hell, that may actually be SHORT innings for two women SL2's in some areas. I just can't see any way this woman should have went down after winning. What cannot be explained by anyone so far is why did my women teammates skill levels not drop after getting BEAT in long innings four or five weeks in a row when they started?

Also, the League Operator can only play 9-ball on Thursday nights in his franchise area. So, he can ONLY play on the one team. I guess it's possible that a good showing on a 9-ball singles board could have affected his skill level, but I don't know if there was one on the week/weeks preceding this scenario that I aformentioned.

Still, the whole thing seems a little goofy to me and I am awaiting to hear from the LO and National Headquarters.

I also know that there are current and former League Operators on this site, and I would like to hear from them, but so far they are silent.

Maniac

Last edited:

mr8ball

Still, the whole thing seems a little goofy to me and I am awaiting to hear from the LO and National Headquarters.

I feel for you but you will be waiting for a long time. As long as the money is coming in to the APA they dont and will not ever care what or how people feel. I have talked with the oweners of the APA a few times at Valley Fordge with complaints from players in my area and nothing has ever been done about anything i have talked with them about. It apperes that the LO can do what ever they want to and get by with it. A few weeks back they had a tournament here for a trip to Vegas. It was a teem that had a 2 on it and from what i was told he never won a match the whole weekend. In the finale match for the trip, he got moved to a 3 and the team had to forfit out of the tournament. What a joke!! and that is why I dont play APA anymore. Good luck

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I don't like the idea that your LO plays in his own league. That quickly makes me suspect the whole thing, as it should anyone who plays in his league.

I cannot understand an of the rest of it either. (Understand I've had a few adult beverages as of this typing.)

I will tell you that the magic formula can be interesting. I started as an SL4 as every male is supposed to. At some point, a few weeks into my league career, I went down to an SL3. After a week when I didn't play! Quite interesting.

For the most part, the players I see in our area are handicapped pretty accurately, at least close to where they should be. There are no glaring issues. But the way Maniac describes it..... wow. Crazy stuff. Good luck with that.

poolhustla61508

Yea....That just happened
Silver Member
weird

I know In my area the LO or people that work in the office aren't allowed to play in normal league, only masters. I'm sure to prevent instances such as your describing here.