What cue material don't you like????

Ky Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looking at cues in the for sale forum for so long I have come to the point that I just roll over the thread title and if I see cues that have certain materials in them I just keep on surfing. :D

Cues with turquoise or purpleheart are just a no-no for me. I don't know what it is about either material really but I don't like them in cues. I hear great things though about purpleheart cues from a performance standpoint but just can seem to take a liking to them aesthetically. Turquoise has never been a choice for me in anything really. :grin-square:

What material/materials used in cues whether it be for performance or aesthetics just keeps you from liking the overall cue?????

Thanks for all the replies!! I am just asking to see what people like or don't like overall. This might help cuemakers out there as well.

Gary

sweatinNbettin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I dont like a huge amount of silver. For example ones that have silver inlays really dont do anything for me. A silver ring is fine but i like my inlays ivory.lol
I second the turquoise as well.

cyrex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
newp

I'm actually NOT a fan of ivory in the joint or the ferrules at all. Once I read that I just pass.

tattoo

Tatuaje in the house🤘🏻
Silver Member
there really isnt any material that i dont like.....but if a cue has floating points......i just cant make myself like them....i dont care who made it...and trust me bill shick has made some super fancy ones:eek:....just not for me.....

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
not a fan of turquoise....I love the stone...just never saw it in a cue and liked it simultaneously

okinawa77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't like CNC'ed points/inlays. To me it looks like someone pasted stickers or painted them on. Looks like junk to me.

I also don't like plastic butt caps or ferrules. They discolor and even non-discolored, they look like junk.

Also, don't like brass ferrules/joints.

Last edited:

zy112

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not usually a fan of a lot of purple heart on a cue, as in a purple heart sneaky or somethin. Usually turquise isnt one of my favorites either but I have a custome Pechauer with some turquise inlays that are sweet

Ky Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for all the replies so far. I am particular about other things too...maybe its me getting older, I dunno!:thumbup:

But I have noticed that I have come to know what I like and don't like in a cue. I have also become less enthusiastic of steel jointed cues too. I have found that cues without it have more feel to them and allow me to seemingly have that extra control as opposed to the other.

Keep 'em coming guys...maybe we can design a politically correct cue that appeals to everyone!!!;):grin-square:

Gary

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
not a fan of turquoise....I love the stone...just never saw it in a cue and liked it simultaneously

I agree, it's almost as if it takes away from everything else in a cue or draws way to much attention. I am not a fan of metal rings, I have seen a ton of cues where the finish comes off above the rings. I like certain types of woods and inlays but when combined together or designed a particualr way I think can make them look bad. I have had a couple SW cues and liked the way they played but I am not a fan of the maple ring they put on the bottom. For the amount of cues they turn out, the buttsleeve area gets to be boring imo. Another thing I find to be not appealing is points close to the joint. I am not saying I dont like long points but I have seen lots of cues (sneaky petes mostly) where instead of cutting the butt end of the cue, the cuemaker cuts the shaft therefore having a very long handle area.

doitforthegame

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stainless steel joints and floating points. Any cue design that is too "busy" and deviates from a traditional design.

mullyman

Hung Like a Gnat!
Silver Member
I'm not too fond of ivory joints. I prefer steel. I've seen too many ivory joints with cracks in them. No thanks. I like the look of the ivory though.

As for inlays, I prefer MOP or abalone.

MULLY

Tokyo-dave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've never liked turquois in a cue, but for some odd reason, was impressed with what I consider 'tasteful' use of it in my Josey. Still have yet to see another cue with turquois that I like. I don't like ivory points either. The 'Tuxedo' cue to me is something that I've never cared for. Love the look of ivory, especially if it's discolored with streaks of grey and even yellowish. Looks good in joints, butt caps, ferrules, and some inlays, but as a point I can't stand. I also can't stand the look of purpleheart. I know, I know......one of the better hitting woods out there, which is why this particular wood should be limited for usage as a core material only! And last but not least............MALACHITE SUCKS IN A CUE!!
dave

RonsTheOne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hate ebony. I know its used in some really high end cues, but to me you could get any piece of wood and just paint it black........Ron

BlowFish

Pinoy D-Player
Silver Member
Any metal rings is a no-no to me. If I am sold a cue with metal rings, I'll have 2nd thoughts rightaway no matter who the maker is.

RunoutKing

Registered
I've always hated purpleheart, anything ivory, and also anything too flashy(silver and gold on a cue).I love maple shafts, though. :D

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
I second that.

I don't like CNC'ed points/inlays. To me it looks like someone pasted stickers or painted them on. Looks like junk to me.

I also don't like plastic butt caps or ferrules. They discolor and even non-discolored, they look like junk.

Also, don't like brass ferrules/joints.

You named a lot of things I don't for either. I don't really care for ebony and ivory cues, not a big fan of purpleheart either.

I like Southwestern style of cues with good wood and a Southwestern style of inlays on it, and I am not talking about turquoise. I used to have one with Mexican Bocote' and Paduak woods with southwestern looking wood inlays in the butt down by the cap, and other inlays between the points that I liked real well.

AlBaker13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I actually used to like the turquoise but grew out of it once I started getting familiar with custom cues, Purple heart doesn't catch my attention either although I have heard many good things about a purple heart shaft as a breaker. Another thing is uniloc joints, it might just be my luck but every time i used a uniloc, it always came loose, especially on my old BK2.