pool instructors

pool sargeant

Who are the best pool instructors in North America? Who is the best at the physical game? Who is best at the mental game? Any advice would be welcome, thanks.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Carl...No list would be complete without Randy Goettlicher (randyg here on AzB), Mark Wilson, Joe Tucker, Bob Jewett, or Stan Shuffett. There are many fine instructors across the country. It's difficult to pin a "best" label on any particular one.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

If he's not avaiable try Jerry Briesath, Scott Lee, or David Sapolis. They are all great, but very humble guys who can really teach.

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
The best instructor is the one you can learn from. There are many instructors who can help you with your game, both physical and mental. While several of us teach very similar classes, each has a unique personality, and some will "click" with certain individuals better than others.
The names posted above is a darn good place to start. Finding the "best" instructor is like finding the best cue. The best for you may not be the best for me.

Steve

Run the Century

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll add

Our own Cajun Fats (Carl Semmes) to the list. One of the best communicators I have ever met. Very good coach as well.

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
I would love to take lessons from Bert Kinister, Little Joe, and Ray Martin.

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The question seems simple but there is no answer because there is no such thing as the best instructor. There are only instructors who meet your individual needs. Some people prefer an authority who will tell them what is right or wrong. Some people prefer an instructor who shows them all of the options. Some people seek a general introduction while others want help with their particular game.

If your friend says that so and so is the “best,” it is based on your friend’s needs and experience which may not be what you are seeking. In general, there is no best instructor there is only the instructor who is best for you. In this sense you need to refine your question. What do you seek in an instructor? Is it help with your fundamentals? Is it advanced cue ball control? Or do you seek to learn how to deal with the issues of professional development?

After you have identified what you are looking for then you need to identify the kind of instructor you want to work with. Even your friends can not help with that. The way to find the best instructor for you is to gather information about what you seek and then perhaps visit their web site and talk with the possible instructors to get a feel for their style of teaching. In the end you take a lesson from your three top candidates and perhaps you will find what you seek.

Attempting to state that this or that person is the best is really nothing more than a popularity contest based on the respondents' own perceptions and experiences. And they have not taken lessons from all of the great instructors out there.

You are probably better off to identify the well known instructors in your geographical area and then learn if they teach what you want in the way that you want it taught.

Some things do not have a simple answer. There are many good, even great, pool instructors.

Last edited:

Chi2dxa

Lost over C&D Triangle
Silver Member
POOL IQ Joe Villalpando

Little Joe Villalpando is the best that I have ever had and I have had a few.

cajunfats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks

Our own Cajun Fats (Carl Semmes) to the list. One of the best communicators I have ever met. Very good coach as well.
Thanks Chris, but I do not teach anymore. There are so many wonderful people out there with way better skills than I, I would rather refer prospects to instructors who do this for a living.

cajunfats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yep!

Carl...No list would be complete without Randy Goettlicher (randyg here on AzB), Mark Wilson, Joe Tucker, Bob Jewett, or Stan Shuffett. There are many fine instructors across the country. It's difficult to pin a "best" label on any particular one.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com
I agree Scott. There are so many fine instructor's out there it is impossible to pick an absolute best. I didn't intend to slight Randy or Mark when I posted, it was a quick reply to the OP and Blackjack's response. Since I stopped teaching years ago, I am happy to refer people to you guys. Keep up the great work.
Carl

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool instruction would be improved if each professional instructor had a web site where they listed their syllabi for each of their courses or types of courses of study. Such as, group instruction, individual instruction, fundamentals, advanced, Etc

The syllabus for each type of instruction would include:
Teaching philosophy
Course content by meeting times
Evaluation procedures of use to the student such as references that could be contacted by telephone or email or testimonials

Probably one of the better ways that would help students identify instructors with whom they wanted to study would be internal links with sample lessons that included written and video presentations.

Materials such as these would help students of the game find the best instructor for their particular need.

The BCA, among other professional groups lists, the names of BCA certified instructors but there is very little information about the course content and style of presentation for these instructors. Such listing with referrals to the instructor web site would be of much use.

It would be in the instructor's interest to have such materials that provide some idea about their level of professionalism. Profesisonals who are prepared do not mind being placed on the dime for what they do and how they go about doing it.

If I were seeking the "best" instructor for my needs I would be looking for these types of things.

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
Blackjack, thank you very much,anything i can do for you?

Hmmm... Let me think... any requests for The Cool Cat...

Yes... just one

Don't ever stop doing what you do - you ARE what the rest of us instructors and players have all aspired to be at one time or another. Despite the passage of time combined with the fact that players are just a few taps and clicks from getting tons of information from thousands of sources - nothing can replace your knowledge, experience, and expertise when it comes to teaching this game. All the instructors that I know have the utmost respect for you, the knowledge you possess, and your achievements. You've earned that respect - so you're just gonna have to sit back in that chair and take it (something that rarely ever happened to you in pool).
;)

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BTW http://deadstrokeuniversity.com in the prior post is one of the modern instructors I referred to. He has not only good credentials but a thorough introduction to his style of teaching. Dave is certainly a leader in the presentation of how one goes about teaching. His web site is worth a visit to learn just how much one can learn about a teacher before taking a class with him.

OOps, I just found that he is revamping his web site. Guess you will have to check back later

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
We are fortunate to have so many good instructors in the pool world today. So many! I don't know if anyone mentioned Jerry Breisath yet or Tony Robles. I think most top players who can communicate well would be excellent instructors.

If you're ever out in L.A. and want to learn the "essence" of One Pocket come see me. I can't teach Banks. That's all about feel.

incognito

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Randy G and Joe Tucker are 2 of the best, IMO. Randy G is the best guy you can go to for learning fundamentals. Joe Tucker has some tremendous drills that will help you with the more advanced parts of the game and really make you a better pool player if you stick with them.

ghostball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hmmm... Let me think... any requests for The Cool Cat...

Yes... just one

Don't ever stop doing what you do - you ARE what the rest of us instructors and players have all aspired to be at one time or another. Despite the passage of time combined with the fact that players are just a few taps and clicks from getting tons of information from thousands of sources - nothing can replace your knowledge, experience, and expertise when it comes to teaching this game. All the instructors that I know have the utmost respect for you, the knowledge you possess, and your achievements. You've earned that respect - so you're just gonna have to sit back in that chair and take it (something that rarely ever happened to you in pool).
;)

Well thank you very much again,and i will take your advice.