Military pool players

Marie's husband

Cue It Up Promotions
Silver Member
Who is currently IN THE MILITARY that loves pool. Gamble, tournaments etc..,

joe

Joe,

I am in the Navy and really do love the game of pool. I have been stationed at Nas Whidbey Island Washington for the last 19 years. I do gamble a little bit, but not much. I travel a ton which allows me to visit some great pool halls within the US and outside the US but I rarely gamble when I am out of town due to me being by myself and its not a good idea.

Tournaments are not too often due to traveling all the time, when I am home I need to spend the time with the family.

Paul

playerhater

American Soldier
Silver Member
cool

Cool, i am in the army 17 yrs. Just trying to hopefully get a bunch of us together on here. Maybe get enough to compete against each other. Like army versus navy or whatever.
Or just make some new friends.

Joe

Marie's husband

Cue It Up Promotions
Silver Member
Well since you have been in 17 years, do you remember Nicorette and Diamond Billiards putting on that world wide all military tournament back in 1997?

They had base qualifiers, then regional qualifiers, then the finals in Miramar California. Nicorette paid for all the travel involved and gave out pretty good money for each tournament, best part, it was all free for active duty and you got orders for all your travel time.

There was only 16 people (4 from each branch of service) that qualified for the finals. Once there, they had each of us play against our branch of service and then the top player from each branch competed for the overall branging rights. The Marines ended up winning, Navy came in second, then Army, and of course,,,Air Force.

I would love to see someone do this again, since I am still active duty I am not permitted to go out and ask for sponsors, but maybe after I retire I may look into trying to set this up again.

Oh, I dont know what it is like on your base, but there is still a pool table in all the barracks and numerous tables in the clubs on base, but it seems like there are just no players anymore.

I think it would just be cool if we could get all the active duty players to go to the next BCAPL event since they are not requiring you to be a league player to enter. We all could enter the Advanced division, or what would be even more fun, if we all could go to DCC. I have never been to the DCC, but that is one place I will definitely make it too one of these days.

Oh yeah, we do need to include the retired guys,,,,even though they probably cant keep up anymore, we still have to invite them....just joking and I am sure that you retired guys can still hit them real good, probably a lot better than us youngins...

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Joe,

I am in the Navy and really do love the game of pool. I have been stationed at Nas Whidbey Island Washington for the last 19 years. I do gamble a little bit, but not much. I travel a ton which allows me to visit some great pool halls within the US and outside the US but I rarely gamble when I am out of town due to me being by myself and its not a good idea.

Tournaments are not too often due to traveling all the time, when I am home I need to spend the time with the family.

Paul

Whidbey Island. Now that's a station! I can see why you've stayed there 19 years. A little piece of paradise.

Big_H515

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
nearly 6 years active army myself, currently on my second deployment to Iraq. Been stationed at Fr Lewis, Washington since July '05, gonna spend another 3 years there. Unless I can get branch to work with me heh.

ftgokie

D player extraordinaire
Silver Member
I think we should get a former and current military tournament started....id be willing to hit that tourney...

Maybe have a service specific tourney, have the King of that service play in the Battle of the Services Tourney and crown an overall King.....or Queen

Shawn

Marie's husband

Cue It Up Promotions
Silver Member
Jay,

Whidbey Island is amazing place to live and I do love it, but as a pool player, not a great place at all due to having no pool halls within 1 1/2 hour drive.

Big,

Ft Lewis is a great location for a pool player, you have some of the best pool halls in the PNW within a short drives and you have some great players in that are too. Also, if you can find a way to become a member, or just get invited to the Elks Club there in Tacoma, they have some 4 nice billiards tables and I do believe 6 nice brunswicks, and its all free for members.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There was a very good player named Ty Laha who was in the military. He got 13th at the US Open about 6-7 years ago. Haven't heard a word about him lately though.

NewStroke

Screamin Monkey
Silver Member
There was a very good player named Ty Laha who was in the military. He got 13th at the US Open about 6-7 years ago. Haven't heard a word about him lately though.

He was my roommate, we killed him when he only placed 13. We expected better!

sgt_newton

Active Duty AF here, currently at Osan AB, Korea. We have a LOT of pool players over here. There are over 100 bars within 10 minutes walking distance from the gate and 99% of them have a free pool table and participate in the local bar league.

Anyone else out there in the ROK?

Big_H515

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cool, i am in the army 17 yrs. Just trying to hopefully get a bunch of us together on here. Maybe get enough to compete against each other. Like army versus navy or whatever.
Or just make some new friends.
Joe

I think this would be kinda cool. Do something like the Mosconi Cup but call it the Audie Murphy cup or something.

I think it would just be cool if we could get all the active duty players to go to the next BCAPL event since they are not requiring you to be a league player to enter. We all could enter the Advanced division, or what would be even more fun, if we all could go to DCC. I have never been to the DCC, but that is one place I will definitely make it too one of these days.

Once we redeploy, I will have about 50 use/lose days...so I am trying to get some plans in the works to attend the DCC next year and/or possibly SBE.

Ft Lewis is a great location for a pool player, you have some of the best pool halls in the PNW within a short drives and you have some great players in that are too. Also, if you can find a way to become a member, or just get invited to the Elks Club there in Tacoma, they have some 4 nice billiards tables and I do believe 6 nice brunswicks, and its all free for members.

Can't argue with that. Had the opportunity to play a more than a couple establishments over these last few years. Have not heard of the Elks Club, will have to make some Inquiries. Good lookin out.

Marie's husband

Cue It Up Promotions
Silver Member
I would have thought there would be a lot more than just 6 of us?

Big,

The Elks club hosted this years US Billiards Championship in Feb and I think they host it every year. I am not a Billiards player, but it was fun to go and watch the pro's play, really amazing to say the least. So if you are around during that timeframe, check it out. Also, I am sure that you already know about it, but onthebreaknews website is a great resource for whats happening in our area.

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How do you get stationed in the same place for 19 years? No sea duty? What rate are you?

If you don't feel like talking about your personal business, I respect that. I am just curious.

argonath

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was in the USAF from 88-96.

Played in the Idaho State tourney, and won the base championships on Howard AFB (Panama) and Offutt (NE) when I was there.

Other than that... would just play mostly podunk weekly tourneys in Mt Home. Didnt play much outside the base in either Panama or Omaha.

Argonath