Reload this Page warp or taper roll?
Page 1 of 3 1 23

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
warp or taper roll?
Old
  (#1)
SOULHASSORROW
MoreTROLLSonAZthanWarcrft
SOULHASSORROW has a reputation beyond reputeSOULHASSORROW has a reputation beyond reputeSOULHASSORROW has a reputation beyond reputeSOULHASSORROW has a reputation beyond reputeSOULHASSORROW has a reputation beyond reputeSOULHASSORROW has a reputation beyond reputeSOULHASSORROW has a reputation beyond reputeSOULHASSORROW has a reputation beyond reputeSOULHASSORROW has a reputation beyond reputeSOULHASSORROW has a reputation beyond reputeSOULHASSORROW has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25

warp or taper roll? - 06-27-2010, 09:57 PM

i just had a quick question i have 2 brand new espiritu shafts and when i roll them without the butt, the middle of the shaft lifts up but the tip stays grounded. do cuemakers provide warranties against these imperfections? ive tried contacting espiritu but no answer! the butt is straight alone, but with the shaft put on it has a noticeable roll. is this a taper roll or warpage? thanks in advance.

Take Care and God Bless,
Marv

TO YOUNG TO CARE

Old
  (#2)
manwon
"WARLOCK 1"
manwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

06-27-2010, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOULHASSORROW View Post
i just had a quick question i have 2 brand new espiritu shafts and when i roll them without the butt, the middle of the shaft lifts up but the tip stays grounded. do cuemakers provide warranties against these imperfections? ive tried contacting espiritu but no answer! the butt is straight alone, but with the shaft put on it has a noticeable roll. is this a taper roll or warpage? thanks in advance.

I don't believe in taper rolls, either a shaft is straight or it isn't, in my opinion a taper roll is just another word for a slight roll or lack of straightness of the shaft.

JIMO

Best Regards

"Warlock 1"

Craig W. Rittel

Old
  (#3)
12squared
AzB Gold Member
12squared has a reputation beyond repute12squared has a reputation beyond repute12squared has a reputation beyond repute12squared has a reputation beyond repute12squared has a reputation beyond repute12squared has a reputation beyond repute12squared has a reputation beyond repute12squared has a reputation beyond repute12squared has a reputation beyond repute12squared has a reputation beyond repute12squared has a reputation beyond repute

06-27-2010, 10:20 PM

Some people call a wobble in the middle of the shaft a taper roll if the tip stays on the table, but in reality it's not. A taper role would not wobble if straight - a true taper role would be if the taper created space in certain areas when roled, but without a wobble. The good news is this type of role typically does not affect play, I think this is why people call it a taper role. It is very common.

If you bought the cue new and the role is pronounced, I think the cuemaker should replace them. If it is a slight role, I would let them know of it and see what time does to it. it would be smart to have an agreement w/the cuemaker to replace the shaft(s) if they got worse if not misused or stored.

Just my opinion.

Dave

Old
  (#4)
SOULHASSORROW
SOULHASSORROW has a reputation beyond reputeSOULHASSORROW has a reputation beyond reputeSOULHASSORROW has a reputation beyond reputeSOULHASSORROW has a reputation beyond reputeSOULHASSORROW has a reputation beyond reputeSOULHASSORROW has a reputation beyond reputeSOULHASSORROW has a reputation beyond reputeSOULHASSORROW has a reputation beyond reputeSOULHASSORROW has a reputation beyond reputeSOULHASSORROW has a reputation beyond reputeSOULHASSORROW has a reputation beyond repute

06-28-2010, 12:24 AM

thanks guys, i know wood moves and the enviornment affects the wood's straightness so that could be a factor. i actually sent this same cue to espiritu cause there was a stain on the buttcap and he replaced it for free,all i had to pay was shipping. i hope he feels the same way about the shafts.

Take Care and God Bless,
Marv

TO YOUNG TO CARE

Old
  (#5)
Tramp Steamer
One Pocket enthusiast.
Tramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

06-28-2010, 04:52 AM

It's a warp, and warps are inexcusable in todays modern equipment. As to who caused the warp, you'll have to work that out with whomever you got the cue from.

Steamer Cue Sports Ltd. Purveyor of two fine quality cues, the Miracle, and the Wonder. Our motto says it all: "If it's a good cue, it's a Wonder." "If it's a straight cue, it's a Miracle."

I am a member in good standing in the Lock Society as: Tramp Lock.

Old
  (#6)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
06-28-2010, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramp Steamer View Post
It's a warp, and warps are inexcusable in todays modern equipment. As to who caused the warp, you'll have to work that out with whomever you got the cue from.
I am not sure I have ever owned a cue that was perfectly even all along the lenght of the shaft. I agree that as long as the tip isn't lifting when rolled it is game on!

Old
  (#7)
SCCues
< Searing Twins
SCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

06-28-2010, 09:44 AM

Quote:
To me taper roll is just a nicer way of saying a shaft is warped. If you roll a shaft on a pool table and the middle moves up and down whether the tip leaves the cloth or not it's warped. The only question is how bad is it. I see sellers describe the shaft or shafts on the cue they are selling as having a taper roll. That sounds better than saying one or both are warped......

James

Playing cue:-Mottey-
Cues:--Paul Mottey and Kenny Murrell--
Favorite Pool Games:--9 Ball & One Pocket--

Old
  (#8)
pdcue
AzB Silver Member
pdcue has a reputation beyond reputepdcue has a reputation beyond reputepdcue has a reputation beyond reputepdcue has a reputation beyond reputepdcue has a reputation beyond reputepdcue has a reputation beyond reputepdcue has a reputation beyond reputepdcue has a reputation beyond reputepdcue has a reputation beyond reputepdcue has a reputation beyond reputepdcue has a reputation beyond repute

06-28-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
P-L-E-A-S-E stop rolling cues on pool tables and thinking it shows
if they are warped.

There are many reasons a cue will appear to wobble when rolled.

Being warped is only one of them.

If you have access to a lathe - put the shaft in the lathe between
centers and spin it. this will tell beyond any doubt.

No lathe - sight down the cue/shaft like a rifle and slowly rotate it.
If you can not detect a warp with this method, it is safe to assume
the cue is straighter than your stroke is.

Dale<who is somewhat warped himself>

Last edited by pdcue; 07-04-2010 at 10:30 AM.

Old
  (#9)
ratcues
No yodeling, please.
ratcues has a reputation beyond reputeratcues has a reputation beyond reputeratcues has a reputation beyond reputeratcues has a reputation beyond reputeratcues has a reputation beyond reputeratcues has a reputation beyond reputeratcues has a reputation beyond reputeratcues has a reputation beyond reputeratcues has a reputation beyond reputeratcues has a reputation beyond reputeratcues has a reputation beyond repute

06-28-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramp Steamer View Post
It's a warp, and warps are inexcusable in todays modern equipment.
The wood doesn't care what kind of equiptment you use.

I am no longer working for Mueller Rec Products.

You cannot kill me with kindness. I don't buy it...

Ryan Theewen

Contact me through Facebook or ratnroll@hotmail.com

Old
  (#10)
TATE
AzB Gold Mensch
TATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond repute

06-28-2010, 01:17 PM

Quote:
This is very typical shaft warpage.

If a shaft is prone to warpage, storing a cue in a hot, humid area like a non-air conditioned house during summer, or a garage, or a trunk, will bring out whatever warp is inherent.

I don't know if this is going to be controversial, but I've noticed a lot of cues that come in from the southern states have a problem with shaft warpage. I don't know if it's because of the conditions when they are made or the condition they are stored - but I've had bad experience with cues from hot, humid areas.

If these shafts really are new, I would hope he will replace them.

Chris

Visit my historic cues site:
www.palmercollector.com

Last edited by TATE; 06-28-2010 at 01:19 PM.

Old
  (#11)
Tramp Steamer
One Pocket enthusiast.
Tramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond repute

06-28-2010, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratcues View Post
The wood doesn't care what kind of equiptment you use.

Oh yeah. Why, just the other day my neice Sarasota and I, you remember Sarasota don't you, were walking through the forest communing with nature when all of a sudden one of the trees began to speak. The tree said, "Please. Stop killing us trees just so you can make pianos and pool cues."
Well, Me and Sarasota took off like a rocket and didn't stop running until we had downed our third shot of Quervo at a roadside tavern, three miles away.
Turns out, according to the bartender, a crazy old moonshiner has been living in those woods. Sarasota still thinks it's the trees.

Steamer Cue Sports Ltd. Purveyor of two fine quality cues, the Miracle, and the Wonder. Our motto says it all: "If it's a good cue, it's a Wonder." "If it's a straight cue, it's a Miracle."

I am a member in good standing in the Lock Society as: Tramp Lock.

Old
  (#12)
Ken_4fun
AzB Silver Member
Ken_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond repute

06-28-2010, 05:06 PM

If you are selling its taper roll, if you are buying its warp.

I crack me up sometimes.

Ken

Current cues - Balabushka, Gus Szamboti, Gus Szamboti Hoppe, Schick, Pfd, BHQ Butterfly and Rick Howard J/B.

Cases - Jack Justis, Fellini, Fellini, Fellini, JB Case.

Watchez is the teacher

" Pool was once my passion, then it was my job, and now it is my sentence."

Mark Wilson's Lindenwood University? Soon to be renamed to the Mosconi Cup Breeding Factory - KoolKat9Lives

Old
  (#13)
SOULHASSORROW

06-28-2010, 11:04 PM

thanks for the input guys. unfortunately i dont have access to a lathe, and the shafts are definitely warped in the middle. i actually won both of these in raffles and i never played with them or put them together. the person who ran the raffle said they were new so i figured they would be straight. again thanks for all the input and funny posts lol!

Take Care and God Bless,
Marv

TO YOUNG TO CARE

Old
  (#14)
LAlouie
AzB Silver Member
LAlouie has a reputation beyond reputeLAlouie has a reputation beyond reputeLAlouie has a reputation beyond reputeLAlouie has a reputation beyond reputeLAlouie has a reputation beyond reputeLAlouie has a reputation beyond reputeLAlouie has a reputation beyond reputeLAlouie has a reputation beyond reputeLAlouie has a reputation beyond reputeLAlouie has a reputation beyond reputeLAlouie has a reputation beyond repute

06-29-2010, 01:02 AM

There's no guarantees, Bub. Warps happen, unless the conclusion can be drawn that the warp was especially nasty and out of the ordinary. There's no way the cuemaker can tell whether or not you left your cue in your car in Phoenix, or used it to clean your drain. If I were a cuemaker, of course I would inspect everything to make make sure the cue passes the grade before it leaves the shop. Having done that, what happens outside the shop is not my responsibility.

Old
  (#15)
SOULHASSORROW

06-29-2010, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAlouie View Post
There's no guarantees, Bub. Warps happen, unless the conclusion can be drawn that the warp was especially nasty and out of the ordinary. There's no way the cuemaker can tell whether or not you left your cue in your car in Phoenix, or used it to clean your drain. If I were a cuemaker, of course I would inspect everything to make make sure the cue passes the grade before it leaves the shop. Having done that, what happens outside the shop is not my responsibility.
you have a good point sir!!! but no the cue was always stored in a case in temps that would not harm it in anyway. the humidity here in the north(montana) is different from the south,where espiritu is located, so that couldve warped the shafts!

Take Care and God Bless,
Marv

TO YOUNG TO CARE

Page 1 of 3 1 23

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: