Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Opinions on pros wrecking local tourneys
Page 1 of 6 1 23 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Opinions on pros wrecking local tourneys
Old
  (#1)
m79a
AzB Silver Member
m79a has a reputation beyond reputem79a has a reputation beyond reputem79a has a reputation beyond reputem79a has a reputation beyond reputem79a has a reputation beyond reputem79a has a reputation beyond reputem79a has a reputation beyond reputem79a has a reputation beyond reputem79a has a reputation beyond reputem79a has a reputation beyond reputem79a has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Opinions on pros wrecking local tourneys - 06-28-2010, 07:57 AM

What do you think about guys who are pros or are good enough to play pro tourneys hitting local tourneys during the week? This will kill a local tourney in a hurry. Do you think the owner should just say look man I'm trying to run a business and you are killing it? Should the player know he's to good to play with this crowd for chump change, compared to what he could could probably make gambling elsewhere?

Never waste perfectly good sarcasm on someone to stupid to understand it.

Old
  (#2)
pt109
WO double hemlock

pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

06-28-2010, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m79a View Post
What do you think about guys who are pros or are good enough to play pro tourneys hitting local tourneys during the week? This will kill a local tourney in a hurry. Do you think the owner should just say look man I'm trying to run a business and you are killing it? Should the player know he's to good to play with this crowd for chump change, compared to what he could could probably make gambling elsewhere?
Modified DKO and NOT making the payout top heavy helps.

Need some good players around.They show the way.

Old
  (#3)
NewStroke
Screamin Monkey
NewStroke has a reputation beyond reputeNewStroke has a reputation beyond reputeNewStroke has a reputation beyond reputeNewStroke has a reputation beyond reputeNewStroke has a reputation beyond reputeNewStroke has a reputation beyond reputeNewStroke has a reputation beyond reputeNewStroke has a reputation beyond reputeNewStroke has a reputation beyond reputeNewStroke has a reputation beyond reputeNewStroke has a reputation beyond repute

06-28-2010, 08:20 AM

Why worry about it, at any given time, everyone is ready to lose. No matter what the situation, I look forward to playing better players. If they choose to play in a field that is simple for them it's their choice. I think they only thing they improve by doing this is a small bump in cash flow.

Old
  (#4)
BryanBpool
M.T.F.B.
BryanBpool has a reputation beyond reputeBryanBpool has a reputation beyond reputeBryanBpool has a reputation beyond reputeBryanBpool has a reputation beyond reputeBryanBpool has a reputation beyond reputeBryanBpool has a reputation beyond reputeBryanBpool has a reputation beyond reputeBryanBpool has a reputation beyond reputeBryanBpool has a reputation beyond reputeBryanBpool has a reputation beyond reputeBryanBpool has a reputation beyond repute

06-28-2010, 08:27 AM

If i get to shoot with a pro for a 10-15$ tourney entry fee, I consider that fantastic. Money well spent.

Most cheapy tourneys are short races, (races to 3 or 4), I feel that I could beat anyone, every now and then, in that short of a race.

Old
  (#5)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
06-28-2010, 08:27 AM

Quote:
What do you think ...Should the player know he's to good to play with this crowd for chump change, compared to what he could could probably make gambling elsewhere?

Trust me...the 'chump change' is needed...it is called grindin' it out!

These guys do a little risk/ reward analysis, ya know.

Old
  (#6)
UrackmIcrackm
AzB Silver Member
UrackmIcrackm has a reputation beyond reputeUrackmIcrackm has a reputation beyond reputeUrackmIcrackm has a reputation beyond reputeUrackmIcrackm has a reputation beyond reputeUrackmIcrackm has a reputation beyond reputeUrackmIcrackm has a reputation beyond reputeUrackmIcrackm has a reputation beyond reputeUrackmIcrackm has a reputation beyond reputeUrackmIcrackm has a reputation beyond reputeUrackmIcrackm has a reputation beyond reputeUrackmIcrackm has a reputation beyond repute

06-28-2010, 08:31 AM

Quote:
The best way to look at it is that for $5 to $20 (however much the entry fee is) you get to play someone that good and can learn a lot from them. Other people have to spend a lot more than that by gambling or playing in a large event to play against better players and you're getting off by only paying a small weekly tournament entry fee.

If the owner of the establishment doesn't want pro & pro level players in their weekly tournament then they need to state that it is an amateur only event. The mgt/TD will have the right to decide who is a pro or pro level player or who isn't.

For the record, action isn't abundant in many places and there aren't exactly a whole lot of high level, higher paying tournaments going on at the moment. Guys that decide to play pool for a living have to feed themselves and pay their bills just like anyone else. In times like these, the "chump change" tournaments are their "bread & butter" so to speak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DippyD
im a tool

Old
  (#7)
akaTrigger
Hi!
akaTrigger has a reputation beyond reputeakaTrigger has a reputation beyond reputeakaTrigger has a reputation beyond reputeakaTrigger has a reputation beyond reputeakaTrigger has a reputation beyond reputeakaTrigger has a reputation beyond reputeakaTrigger has a reputation beyond reputeakaTrigger has a reputation beyond reputeakaTrigger has a reputation beyond reputeakaTrigger has a reputation beyond reputeakaTrigger has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 475

06-28-2010, 08:36 AM

I remember another thread about this recently, and in it people suggested the winner sits out the next week. That has helped some of the complaints.

Read my Pool Blog

akaTrigger FaceBook FanPage

Old
  (#8)
Papa Red
Love it or Leave
Papa Red has a reputation beyond reputePapa Red has a reputation beyond reputePapa Red has a reputation beyond reputePapa Red has a reputation beyond reputePapa Red has a reputation beyond reputePapa Red has a reputation beyond reputePapa Red has a reputation beyond reputePapa Red has a reputation beyond reputePapa Red has a reputation beyond reputePapa Red has a reputation beyond reputePapa Red has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via ICQ to Papa Red  
06-28-2010, 08:43 AM

Here is my option on this! In the little town I play at we have an open/handicapped $10 entry tournament every Saturday that brings in player from everywhere.We have had pro's such as Bob Vanover,CJ Wiley, Rodger Griffis, and others non-pro's such as Kid Delicious, James Walden, Jeff Melton, Fargo, and Jim McDermott from Magoo's. Since the room opened in 1986 this tournament is still pulling in 25 players a week end and as high as 52 one week end. Our local players range from Grandmasters to C-players. Playing better players has improved the caliber of players in our area. I venture to say that we have improved from 10% A-players to about 70% today. Yes, it was slow in the beginning to convince a C-player that they weren't wasting their time and money, but for $10 a week where can you get cheep lesson like that.

I have been on the management side also, so I under their view if it is hurting their business. But if you have top players willing to help others it will work out in the long run. This is what has helped our tournament build bringing in new players and built our leagues.

Player - Larry Vigus Cue / OB-Pro Plus shaft with Black Kamiu SS
Breaker - OB Break Cue

Collection Cues:
Palmer bought in 1968, 2 Adams early 60's, C-21 McDermott w/ 4 shafts, 3 early 90"s Schons, 3 Joss Sneaky Pete's, Wes Hunter J/B, Gilbert J/B & 2000 custom, Ted Harris, Scott Gracio (# 264), and 1986 DPK/JF Southwest w/ 4 shafts & letter of authenticity.

Old
  (#9)
Cuebuddy
Vege-table
Cuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

06-28-2010, 08:46 AM

I have been asked not to play in local tourney's before and it sucks. First of all I am not that good,yes I can get hot like anyone else and win a tourney or five but not even close to a low pro. Second I worked hard to get my game up there and for a bar owner or TD to ask me not to play is wrong after I have gone as far as to get to the tourney in the first place.

Cuebuddy

"Everytime you shoot...I'm terrified."
Chisolm W

"14-1, 9 ball, 8 ball whats the difference....you put balls in holes."
Measureman

Old
  (#10)
peteypooldude
I see Edges
peteypooldude has a reputation beyond reputepeteypooldude has a reputation beyond reputepeteypooldude has a reputation beyond reputepeteypooldude has a reputation beyond reputepeteypooldude has a reputation beyond reputepeteypooldude has a reputation beyond reputepeteypooldude has a reputation beyond reputepeteypooldude has a reputation beyond reputepeteypooldude has a reputation beyond reputepeteypooldude has a reputation beyond reputepeteypooldude has a reputation beyond repute

06-28-2010, 08:53 AM

Most weekly tournys are short races,that is probably the best chance to put a notch on your belt,all they can do is run out and most players where I play run out also.So no it does not bother me,I like taking a shot at them in a short race

Old
  (#11)
Tramp Steamer
One Pocket enthusiast.
Tramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond repute

06-28-2010, 08:55 AM

We used to have a weekly 9 Ball tournament on Thursday evenings. Entry fee was ten bucks. Our local Pro would show up every now and then, and offtimes win, but no one seemed to care. They paid pretty deep into the field, which I imagine probably helped.

Steamer Cue Sports Ltd. Purveyor of two fine quality cues, the Miracle, and the Wonder. Our motto says it all: "If it's a good cue, it's a Wonder." "If it's a straight cue, it's a Miracle."

I am a member in good standing in the Lock Society as: Tramp Lock.

Old
  (#12)
barber23
Chad The Bad
barber23 has a reputation beyond reputebarber23 has a reputation beyond reputebarber23 has a reputation beyond reputebarber23 has a reputation beyond reputebarber23 has a reputation beyond reputebarber23 has a reputation beyond reputebarber23 has a reputation beyond reputebarber23 has a reputation beyond reputebarber23 has a reputation beyond reputebarber23 has a reputation beyond reputebarber23 has a reputation beyond repute

06-28-2010, 09:04 AM

That is why they call it "open" tournament. Who doesn't want to match up against the best. I played a tournament at Kolby's in Tempe Az and Scott Frost was there I remember saying to myself I hope I draw him. Here in South Dakota once and awhile Shane Van Boening show up here for a tournament and I would love to draw him as well. The pros that play local tournaments should be commended they put themselves out there to be ridiculed. Imagine they are playing some local twig race to 3 and get beat. How many times are you going to hear that "twig" say "I beat SVB" or "I unplugged the freezer" Most people forget that most of the pros started off just like all of us playing cheap touraments and leagues. So I think since they remember their roots the pros are welcome to play in as many local tournaments as they want to and in fact invite your pro friends to come down as well.

Chad Barber

Old
  (#13)
m79a
AzB Silver Member
m79a has a reputation beyond reputem79a has a reputation beyond reputem79a has a reputation beyond reputem79a has a reputation beyond reputem79a has a reputation beyond reputem79a has a reputation beyond reputem79a has a reputation beyond reputem79a has a reputation beyond reputem79a has a reputation beyond reputem79a has a reputation beyond reputem79a has a reputation beyond repute

06-28-2010, 09:07 AM

Thanks for the perspective guys. I really don't care either way personally. I've just heard several people at tourneys complain about so and so showing up and nobody can beat them. I'm not good enough yet to worry that much about who I play. I'm usually to busy beating my self.

Never waste perfectly good sarcasm on someone to stupid to understand it.

Old
  (#14)
Skess
Another sidearmer...
Skess has a reputation beyond reputeSkess has a reputation beyond reputeSkess has a reputation beyond reputeSkess has a reputation beyond reputeSkess has a reputation beyond reputeSkess has a reputation beyond reputeSkess has a reputation beyond reputeSkess has a reputation beyond reputeSkess has a reputation beyond reputeSkess has a reputation beyond reputeSkess has a reputation beyond repute

06-28-2010, 09:12 AM

For the kind of entry fees you're talking about, I consider it a cheap education. And who knows, in a short 3 or 4 game race, maybe you pull a surprise on someone.

Like some others said, the best way to alleviate the problem is to pay bit deeper in the field. That gives the lesser skilled players a little something to put in their pockets for the ride home. There are a lot of players that consider it a good day if they played all day and went home even.

Old
  (#15)
Papa Red
Love it or Leave
Papa Red has a reputation beyond reputePapa Red has a reputation beyond reputePapa Red has a reputation beyond reputePapa Red has a reputation beyond reputePapa Red has a reputation beyond reputePapa Red has a reputation beyond reputePapa Red has a reputation beyond reputePapa Red has a reputation beyond reputePapa Red has a reputation beyond reputePapa Red has a reputation beyond reputePapa Red has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via ICQ to Papa Red  
06-28-2010, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the perspective guys. I really don't care either way personally. I've just heard several people at tourneys complain about so and so showing up and nobody can beat them. I'm not good enough yet to worry that much about who I play. I'm usually to busy beating my self.
I'll bet the ones complaining are the ones that win every week and can't win if a good players shows up!

Player - Larry Vigus Cue / OB-Pro Plus shaft with Black Kamiu SS
Breaker - OB Break Cue

Collection Cues:
Palmer bought in 1968, 2 Adams early 60's, C-21 McDermott w/ 4 shafts, 3 early 90"s Schons, 3 Joss Sneaky Pete's, Wes Hunter J/B, Gilbert J/B & 2000 custom, Ted Harris, Scott Gracio (# 264), and 1986 DPK/JF Southwest w/ 4 shafts & letter of authenticity.

Page 1 of 6 1 23 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: