Here It Is The SILVER GINACUE

kvinbrwr

Skee Ball Monster Playa
Gold Member
Here are some pics of what is arguably the most collectible cue ever made. The way I understand it, the trinity of holy grail cues is the Golden Babushka, the Last Gus and the Silver Gina. Ernie Gutierrez's 69th birthday was yesterday and he celebrated by working all day like he does every day except Sunday. Kam Daswani (Kam here at AZ) was there visiting Ernie's, as was my friend Joe Richland (junksecret here in AZ land). Ernie was kind enough to show the Silver Gina and Joe ran and got whatever camera he had and shot with the light available in Ernie's shop. I was a little surprised that Ernie allowed the pictures and very surprised when he gave me permission to post them on AZ. I consider this a rather rare treat and that's why I'm posting them here in the Main rather than in cue gallery. My thanks to Kam for inspiring Ernie, Joe for taking the best pics he could in those conditions, and of course, to Ernie for the permission (and for building this monster to begin with).

Ernie started the Silver Gina in 1965 and finished it and the hand made case in 1966. He built the cue as a display of his skills and would take it to tournaments and play with it as a way of drawing attention, showcasing his talents and gathering orders. As you can see, the cue has been used as all Ginas are intended to be used, as a pool playing instrument. The cue and case are constructed of silver, ivory, mother of pearl, maple and ebony. Ernie had been building cues for 3 years when he built this cue more than 40 yeas ago.

I deal in high-end collectibles and the Silver Gina is one of the few instances I can think of where a collectible of high value has been retained in the possession of the person who actually created it. Generally a historically collectible piece gets valued by what it sells or auctions for as it gets passed up the chain from collector to collector to gallery and museums. The Silver Gina is valued in a different way, as it has never been sold. It is valued by the offers Ernie has turned down. Starting in 1966 at turning down the unheard of at that time sum of $3,000 all the way up to modern times with him refusing a purported $350K.

Here it is:

silverg1.jpg

silverg2.jpg

silverg3.jpg

silverg4.jpg

silverg5.jpg

silverg6.jpg

silverg7.jpg

silverg8.jpg

Last edited:

triley41395

You'll shoot your eye out
Silver Member
Ernie started the Silver Gina in 1965 and finished it and the hand made case in 1966. He built the cue as a display of his skills and would take it to tournaments and play with it as a way of drawing attention, showcasing his talents and gathering orders. As you can see, the cue has been used as all Ginas are intended to be used, as a pool playing instrument. The cue and case are constructed of silver, ivory, mother of pearl, maple and ebony. Ernie had been building cues for 3 years when he built this cue more than 40 yeas ago.
Just say it...You want this for your NEW new lifetime player..:thumbup:..
It definetly shows talent after only building cues for such a short time back then.

kvinbrwr

Skee Ball Monster Playa
Gold Member
Wow - incredible job Kevin.

Chris

Chris

LOL. As always, what did I do ? A little arranging. Ernie built it, Kam inspired him to show it off, Joe took and edited the pictures.

Me ? I played with the dogs.

Nice piece of history there though. Please notice, 2 shafts and joint protectors in 1966. It blows my mind that Ernie was in the trade 3 years when he built this masterpiece.

Thanks man

Kevin

pocono

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gina Cue

Kevin,
Beautiful cue and case. I held this cue in my hands back in 1992 at the cue show in Maryland.

CrossSideLarry

Cross Side Larry
Silver Member
Gina

Thank you for posting the pics. I have the dubious honor of being the first to view them. I also have the dubious honor of owning the Gina cue that Ernie appears holding in the pool book, "Shooting Pool", text by Mike Shamos and photographs by George Bennett. My cue is pictured opposite page 33.
Dur my first trip to Ernie's shop in North Hollywood, CA., Ernie signed the page with the following:

Larry

This is the cue I chose to be photographed with

It is your cue. Hit it straight.

Signed in his immicapable hand writing, "Ernie Gutierrez"

I have seen the silver cue in person and yes, it is an awesome representation of Ernie's singular skills. I also agree with you about all Gina cues are meant to be played. While I have owned numerous high dollar cues over the years, the Gina plays like no other. My Jack Madden and Jim Buss cues are awesome playing cues also. I too have turned down numerous offers for all three cues. As soon as someone shows me how, I will post some pictures of them.

Cross-Side-Larry "Learn from the best, and beat the rest"

JimmyRayK

Gina collector
Silver Member
Kevin, thanks for posting.

I was at Ernie's shop a couple of weeks ago (a long way from Indiana LOL) and was lucky enough to see and hold this piece of cue history. This cue was sooooo far ahead of it's time. 1966, are you freakin' kidding me.

I can hardly wait for my next project with Ernie to finish up................

JimmyK

ScottR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Three words....

Holy-frickin-moley!!!

I was talking to someone late yesterday who told me that Kam got to see the cue. We both remarked that the cue is almost older than either of us. And, it is older than probably 75% of the people on this forum.

Such a high level cue, done at such a relatively low level of experience just blows my mind.

What next? HD footage of the Loch Ness monster???

Scott

floppybear

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So if he wanted to take that cue on board a plane...as happened to me the airport would insist on having it checked in. Would the airport insure that cue for $500k? That is one heck of a cue!

Chi2dxa

Lost over C&D Triangle
Silver Member
Werewolves RUN....RUN for your lives!

MAN if one Silver bullet can take down a single Werewolf just think of the damage you could do walking into a pool room full of them with this Silver Gina cue!!!!

Not my type of cue but it is the most beautiful not my type of cue I have ever seen!!!

Very Very Nice!!!