10-Ball Break

ThePoliteSniper

Fruitshop Owner
Silver Member
Quick question: How do you break in 10-Ball?
I can almost never make a ball on the break. And other players seem to have the same problem, so it's not like I'm hitting the rack badly. Last weekend I played a race to 9 and lost 7:9. That's 16 games and 16 breakshots without making a single ******* ball.

Protocol

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most of the time from the side rail just like 9 ball. I only make a ball on the break about 40% of the time tho.

peter_gunn

])3a]) s']['rok3
Silver Member
I break half diamond left or right from head spot. I move cb in that area i try different speed on break and in 80% of the time i manage to pot 1 or 2 ball in the middle pockets ( 2 balls in second row are the key balls)
Hope it helped

SFMBE (sorry for my bad english) :)

hilla_hilla

I'd rather be foosing it!
Silver Member
It's tougher to make balls in the break in 10 ball. I like to break from the left side of the table near the rail on the head string.

brandoncook26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With the right speed and cut angle, you can actually play to make a 2nd row ball in the side pocket (it's difficult to do so I am not minimilazing it). Be looking for the ball to go on the same side you're breaking from.

If the ball is coming short, move a toward the center. If the ball is going long, move toward the rail. This is the best chance to make a ball, but it may get kicked out. Like I said, it's difficult to do but can be managed with some success if you practice. And, it's different on every table so practice some breaks when you get on the table.

the420trooper

Free T-Rex
Silver Member
The two balls on the back corners, (the 2 and 3), like to go 4 rails toward their respective corner pockets.

There's a good likelihood that they'll get kissed by another ball somewhere along the way, but I've noticed that SVB (best 10 ball breaker in the world) usually pockets at least one of those two balls.

Aaron_S

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks to the nifty break speed app on my phone, I now know that my most productive 10-ball breaks are in the 23-25 MPH range. This is not an incredibly hard break, but for many players it may be in the range where cueball control starts to slide a bit and they don't hit the rack squarely very often. I break 10-ball like I break 8-ball, rarely more than a diamond from center of table, and about as forceful a break as I can use with good CB control. I watch the two balls behind the 1-ball and try to adjust to get one of them in the side. If that fails, there's always the possibility of a back corner ball going 4 rails, but it gets kissed out a lot. I'd say even money is a pretty good stat for an amateur breaking 10-ball on a normal table. I have seen Shane average nearly 1 ball per break in a tournament match. That may be about average for him, but it sounds pretty incredible to me.

Aaron

Falcon Eddie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This question came up during a discussion with Earl Strickland. When another player tried to give his opinion Earl said .. what are you you talking about ..you couldn't break an egg. Just a funny story ..had to share