What Happened to UStream?

stljohnny

knowledge > execution. :(
Silver Member
Since at least yesterday afternoon, ustream.tv has been down. First it was a generic ad-based page that looked like a mis-typed url; today it's just all errors. Is everyone else seeing this?

"CaliRed".

High Def Videos!!!
Silver Member
Since at least yesterday afternoon, ustream.tv has been down. First it was a generic ad-based page that looked like a mis-typed url; today it's just all errors. Is everyone else seeing this?

it's fine now, at least for me.

If you go to ustream's forums, if there is every a outage, you can bet someone will be asking about it.

I see at least one thread in their General forum, where it was down for someone and the reply from Ustream was it affected some, not others.

http://www.ustream.tv/forum/forumdisplay.php?3-General-Help!

muddawg

Chill Out
Silver Member
Have you installed any new plug-ins or an Internet Security/ Anti-virus program within the past couple of days. If so, that's probably your problem, because ustream is working fine for me.

Try opening ustream in a different browser than the one you normally use.

stljohnny

knowledge > execution. :(
Silver Member
In either browser I get page that says exactly this:

Error: Page cannot be displayed. Please contact service provider for more details. (2)

Yesterday I got one of those generic "this domain is nothing but ad/spam space because someone bought the domain name but isn't using it" pages. today I'm getting the above

so, maybe my work's dns or perhaps our isp's dns is/was hijacked. *shrug* - the machines are pretty locked down - and i'm not able to install any plug-ins or anything. i'm a programmer, so that's really more of a PITA than anything else.

we use websense, but when that's working it'll give me a "blocked by websense" error (like when i try to get to youtube).

btw, ustream works on my phone's browser just fine, so i guess it is just me/work/location. weird though.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Let's start troubleshooting from your computer. We'll check for DNS (Domain Name Server). This is like the white pages lookup for your computer. Then we can check for Proxy. This being your work computer, access to the internet may be directed through a proxy and that website maybe blocked.

Are you using Windows or Mac?

Instructions for Windows.
In Windows, get to the command line, and type in CMD to get a terminal window.

Instructions for Mac,
Go to Terminal

Checking DNS
type in PING ustream.tv

You should get a response with the same IP numbers listed below.
PING ustream.tv (216.52.240.133): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 216.52.240.133: icmp_seq=0 ttl=46 time=91.108 ms

Checking for Proxy, you'll need to go to the toolbar for the web browser. There should be one tab for network connections. The setting is called Proxy. You can google for exact directions for the particular web browser. Think of this as swapping out the whitepages for your company's customized phone list.

Another possibility is DNS hijacking. Your webbrowser or computer may have malware.
Think of someone taking away your whitepages, and swapping it out for one of those cloned yellowpages.

If you have admin rights to your machine. You can add the IP and name to the host file. Think of it as your PC's personal phone list. It will check that first, before resolving to DNS.

well crap, still broken for me.

Last edited: