US Amateur Championship Qualifier Information?

ap_audio

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been hearing about the U.S. Amateur Championships for a couple of years now, and have had friends in Florida play in the qualifiers. I've decided to look into playing in one of the U.S. Amateur Championship qualifiers next year and was wondering what kind of numbers all of the locations had this past weekend for their Qualifiers? I have several friends, guys and girls, that would be interested as well, so if you could give us turn outs for both male and female I'd really appreciate it!

Even though I live in the Midwest I travel a lot and could seemingly pick my location, so I'm looking for numbers from as many locations as possible.

Also, how many players from each go onto the nationals? I know my friend in Florida said that the top 3 girls at her qualifier went on, but that's all the farther she knew.

Thanks for the help AZ!

Factor

Registered
US Amateur Qualifier

If you're referring to the APA-run US am, there were 121 players in the Men's division in Southington, CT this past weekend. 11 qualifiers go on to Tampa.

Factor

Registered
Had a friend play in Columbus, OH. Pretty sure he said they had around 100 players there. Not sure on the number of winners that go on.

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
Had a friend play in Columbus, OH. Pretty sure he said they had around 100 players there. Not sure on the number of winners that go on.

There were 100 and 10 winners for Tampa. I think it is set up to send 1 for every 10. It was a long tournament. Started at 6pm on Fri, ran late into the the night and had to be back at 9 on Sat and 9 on Sun. The finals started around 6 pm on Sun and they were a race to 11. You had to stay there all day as you could never get a definite time on when your match would start. If you left there was a possibility that your match would be called. There were only 8 tables and on Sat the women's tournament started so they used one.

I think the TD said there were 125 matches to be played and he allowed 1 1/2 hours per match.

It was still a good experience as I got to meet a lot of good people and
players.

Last edited:

iownthe412

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played in Columbus, OH. There were supposed to be 100 players but a lot didn't show up. There were supposed to be 10 to qualify based on 100 players and I'm not sure if they dropped the number of qualifiers because of the no-shows.

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
From what I understand, teh qualifiers are broken down into groups of 10-16 or so, and each group has a winner that goes to Nationals. My group was 12 players in a 16 player chart. We had several no shows, so that put an extra bye or 2 into everyones group.

On another note, seems like the level of player that wins a qualifier is typically someone that plays around a B, to an A player. I would say that the field was mostly B players, with a 1/4 of the field being C players and 2-3 A players. At the Natioanl level, it seems like you need to play Open speed to win. Typically, the winners are decent "shortstops".

There is another thread on the US Amateurs here- http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=202342

Eric