Do you gamble 1 hole?

smoooothstroke

JerLaw
Silver Member
Got a question for peeps that gamble 1 pocket for big money on a regular basis.I don't want theory or written rules either.what I'am looking for is how you understand this question for yourself.Yes I know this questions been covered.

If you are matched up with another player and its the first time you have played them but both of you play 1 hole regularly in the same area but not the same room.Would you expect that shorty is allowed,never allowed or do you believe that it should be agreed apron in advance?

Another way to ask is,say you are matched up and your opponent pulls out his jump cue,do you:

A) say "hey no jump cues,this is 1 pocket"

B) don't bat an eye because its the norm.

C) unscrew.

D) curse yourself for not covering the issue when making the game.

Voodoo Daddy

One Pocket 101
I vote...

E} None of the above.

Its like telling a golfer he cant use his sand wedge, if you can use it...go ahead.

hdgis1

Tell'em no jump cues. Besides, I thnk a guy has to be pretty desperate to use a jumper in one hole. All you have to do is get any ball to the rail and your good. So, unless you're the efren of jumpers, to much to sell out when whitey goes a flyin'!

Chris

strokerace

"The Hustler"
Silver Member
Always clarify the rules of engagement..that way there are

no grey areas to deal with mid game..SA

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
D.

when setting up a gambling match IMO....NOTHING is set in stone til you lay out the rules before hand. Thats why it's so tough to set up action sometimes. Doesn't matter if you all play in the same room or area and there are the usual rules. When you are playing for anything substatial......set the rules before racking the balls, AND POST UP.

BTW....since when is jumping a ball taboo in 1P?.....I do it, not with a jump cue, but with my playing cue.

Personally I feel ALL short cues should go the way of the Dinosour.

G.

m79a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
D. Get the rule clarified in advance.

Had a guy get mad at me a while back playing some 9 ball for money. He told me that i get the call 8 and and the bank 7. So when I get to the 7 unless I had no better option than the bank I shoot it straight in and get shape on the 8. Beat the hell out of him. He made the rules himself and didn't know what he had done.

Gmanpoke

Banned
D.

when setting up a gambling match IMO....NOTHING is set in stone til you lay out the rules before hand. Thats why it's so tough to set up action sometimes. Doesn't matter if you all play in the same room or area and there are the usual rules. When you are playing for anything substatial......set the rules before racking the balls, AND POST UP.

BTW....since when is jumping a ball taboo in 1P?.....I do it, not with a jump cue, but with my playing cue.

Personally I feel ALL short cues should go the way of the Dinosour.

G.

I agree with Gerry. You have to establish the rules up front. That way no argument later.

I'm not a real knowledgeable person about one pocket, so I can't answer if it's taboo. But, I don't see anyone jumping around here. That's not to say they wouldn't, I just don't see it.

Like I said, I'm not real knowledgeable about one pocket, but a jump shot would be my Alamo (last stand). It seems to me, with a jump shot you run the risk of really selling out (harder to control the cue ball). There would almost have to be a better shot, even taking an intentional foul. So, given that, I think I would like my opponent taking jump shots. Yea they may make a ball or even get a lucky safe but I think it works to my benefit. I could be wrong though.

Steven

Rak9up

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would explain it like Earl (Joe Rogan)
Jump cue when I was a kid you couldn't use a #4%#$# jump cue
that ain't jumpin what the $#%@ is that? You got a tiny little cue and your pleased as punch you got a big smile on your face like you did something get the $%#@ out. I jump with a Meucci I jump full table with a Meucci how strong is that.....

Which by the way is legal in One Hole
:smile:

"CaliRed".

High Def Videos!!!
Silver Member
From the Official rules at onepocket.org

5. Jumping

Players may use jump shots in One Pocket as long as they are performed with the player's own standard playing cue using legal jumping techniques as defined in General Rules. Specialized jump cues are not permitted in One Pocket.

Please note that many players, poolrooms and tournament directors have differing opinions on specialized jump cues. It is recommended that players check with their opponent, the 'house man' or the tournament director prior to an important match to come to agreement on whether specialized jump cues shall be permitted or not.

http://www.onepocket.org/one_pocket_pool_rules.htm

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From the Official rules at onepocket.org

5. Jumping

Players may use jump shots in One Pocket as long as they are performed with the player's own standard playing cue using legal jumping techniques as defined in General Rules. Specialized jump cues are not permitted in One Pocket.

Please note that many players, poolrooms and tournament directors have differing opinions on specialized jump cues. It is recommended that players check with their opponent, the 'house man' or the tournament director prior to an important match to come to agreement on whether specialized jump cues shall be permitted or not.

http://www.onepocket.org/one_pocket_pool_rules.htm

Great post... that answers the question.

RackemBilliards

Player, Room Owner
Silver Member
Rules

Put me down for covering the rules up front when playing someone for the first time. Jumpers, 3 fouls, edge of ball vs base of ball for balls in the kitchen and what to do about forgotten balls owed are rules that seem to vary from place to place.

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Got a question for peeps that gamble 1 pocket for big money on a regular basis.I don't want theory or written rules either.what I'am looking for is how you understand this question for yourself.Yes I know this questions been covered.

If you are matched up with another player and its the first time you have played them but both of you play 1 hole regularly in the same area but not the same room.Would you expect that shorty is allowed,never allowed or do you believe that it should be agreed apron in advance?

Another way to ask is,say you are matched up and your opponent pulls out his jump cue,do you:

A) say "hey no jump cues,this is 1 pocket"

B) don't bat an eye because its the norm.

C) unscrew.

D) curse yourself for not covering the issue when making the game.

I go with "A" and if there's an argument then I go directly to "C"

cuesmith

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!
Silver Member
E} None of the above.

Its like telling a golfer he cant use his sand wedge, if you can use it...go ahead.

I agree. Where I learned to play one pocket, the most common area of contention was "sleepers". Whether or not you had to spot a ball you owed if it was forgotten (slept) and a player had shot since you made a ball you should have spotted. Some played if it wasn't spotted immediately after your turn then it was "slept" and it was no longer owed, except in the case of a spot (handicap) situation where one player had to spot his first ball or 2 as a handicap. In that case you could not win it you did not spot the balls and your opponent reached the hill before you so it was generally considered that you could not "sleep" spot balls. A jump cue was used so seldom in one pocket, that it was a moot point, in fact if anything, you'd hope the guy tried a jump shot!

JDB

Idiot Savant
Silver Member
So when I get to the 7 unless I had no better option than the bank I shoot it straight in and get shape on the 8.

Why would anyone expect you to do anything different? He thought by giving you the bank 7 that you would try to bank it every time? LOL. I want to gamble with him...lol.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i dont gamble at one hole, i donate. :eek:

anywhere from $10-$2500/game and jump cues have never been mentioned once-other than a joke when playing cheap.

m79a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why would anyone expect you to do anything different? He thought by giving you the bank 7 that you would try to bank it every time? LOL. I want to gamble with him...lol.

I enjoy gambling with him.