Come Back Story-$200/set 8ball

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was playing a friend, actually I just met him and he is a great person. he is in the TV and golf biz. He is a scratch golfer or perhaps 1/2 strokes better than scratch. He dosent playh pool often but has played for years and has freat eye hand coordination. If I had his natural talent for pool, I'd be 4 balls or more better than I play now.

Anyways we were playing $200 race to 9 8ball and keeping it social, talking some etc. But I wanted and needed a win. First set it was 7-7 I came out of the box slow as usual I gave him 2 on the wire. I didnt want to play a race to 2 for $200-we both agreed to race again. He won the next 2 games(good thing I asked not to race to 9), Then I won 9 in a row to close out the set 9-4. He asked for 3 going to 9, since I just beat him 9 in a row and was up $200. I said ok, I lost the first 2, one 1, he catches a gear and wins 3 more(he isnt helpless) so he is up 8-1 going to 9.

So here I am down 8-1 going to 9 and tired but no backache. I said if we get to double hill were done for the night, I win $200, he agreed. I had no chance to play another set, If I had Chris bartrums ability to play for a week and not get weak, sleepy or lose my concentation I would have played the 7-7 set out and the double hill or anything, he would have lost $600 the way I had it figured. I told him "I aint gonna lose this set, I been in this spot before and came back and I will again tonight". Then a song I dont like came on Tom Petty "I wont back down, i'll stand my ground" Came on the radio right then(Perfect) So I told him to listen to that song carefully-planting the seeds of doubt. I clicked off 7 in a row and won $200. He had one chance to win one game and it wasnt a easy chance, his adrenin caused him to run long on a shot, but he should have won the set, it was inexperince and the best size I could tell(I was in that spot years ago-so I know) I over hit a ball playing $2500/rack onehole for the same reason and lost, I lost $15,000 that night, that loss took alot out of me.

I just refused to lose, I didnt catch a gear, I did come with a lot of key shots but it was a grind type come back. I beat him 9 in a row and 7 in a row and only won one set, but I never had a penny at risk because of how I managed the game, I didnt want to play the 7-7 or 8-8 sets going to 9. And steam rolled him when necessary(second set to get into the $$$). It was alot of work for $200 though, minumum wage as Tang Hoa would say. It would be a great story if it was for $5,000, but I dont exaggerate ever, $200 is still a win.

That was the first time I played a session is a very long time. i'd like to get instroke and step up, but the gym is first. Then I will be fit to play longer sessions.

Last edited:

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
I was playing a friend, actually I just met him and he is a great person. he is in the TV and golf biz. He is a scratch golfer or perhaps 1/2 strokes better than scratch. He dosent playh pool often but has played for years and has freat eye hand coordination. If I had his natural talent for pool, I'd be 4 balls or more better than I play now.

Anyways we were playing $200 race to 9 8ball and keeping it social, talking some etc. But I wanted and needed a win. First set it was 7-7 I came out of the box slow as usual I gave him 2 on the wire. I didnt want to play a race to 2 for $200-we both agreed to race again. He won the next 2 games(good thing I asked not to race to 9), Then I won 9 in a row to close out the set 9-4. He asked for 3 going to 9, since I just beat him 9 in a row and was up $200. I said ok, I lost the first 2, one 1, he catches a gear and wins 3 more(he isnt helpless) so he is up 8-1 going to 9.

So here I am down 8-1 going to 9 and tired but no backache. I said if we get to double hill were done for the night, I win $200, he agreed. I had no chance to play another set, If I had Chris bartrums ability to play for a week and not get weak, sleepy or lose my concentation I would have played the 7-7 set out and the double hill or anything, he would have lost $600 the way I had it figured. I told him "I aint gonna lose this set, I been in this spot before and came back and I will again tonight". Then a song I dont like came on Tom Petty "I wont back down, i'll stand my ground" Came on the radio right then(Perfect) So I told him to listen to that song carefully-planting the seeds of doubt. I clicked off 7 in a row and won $200. He had one chance to win one game and it wasnt a easy chance, his adrenin caused him to run long on a shot, but he should have won the set, it was inexperince and the best size I could tell(I was in that spot years ago-so I know) I over hit a ball playing $2500/rack onehole for the same reason and lost, I lost $15,000 that night, that loss took alot out of me.

I just refused to lose, I didnt catch a gear, I did come with a lot of key shots but it was a grind type come back. I beat him 9 in a row and 7 in a row and only won one set, but I never had a penny at risk because of how I managed the game, I didnt want to play the 7-7 or 8-8 sets going to 9. And steam rolled him when necessary(second set to get into the $$$). It was alot of work for $200 though, minumum wage as Tang Hoa would say. It would be a great story if it was for $5,000, but I dont exaggerate ever, $200 is still a win.

That was the first time I played a session is a very long time. i'd like to get instroke and step up, but the gym is first. Then I will be fit to play longer sessions.

I need to get up with you sometime and have a little match, 8 ball, one pocket and perhaps 9 or 10 ball would be fun. Maybe I can get there sometime soon, what is the next event coming up in Vegas?

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
Glad to hear you're at the table and not hurting Eric. I think this match should be one you are careful to remember. You'll need this memory somewhere down the road when you're down and tired. Write down the name of the player, the name of the song... something to put in your cue case so it will jog your memory.

Are you going to NY to witness Shane/Mika.. speaking of epic matches.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Hehe Fatbox^^

enjoying to see that your back is getting better- think a bit quality of life just returned into your days again. So it s not that great surprise how you handled this *200 $ battle* , lol :wink:

However-it s always difficult to come back from 0-7, no matter if money or *just* training. Then you have to be just positive-and you was! That s the key, nothin else my friend-keep shootin and be brave and keep doing your *gym-lessons*,

lg from overseas,

Ingo

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Nice brotha!!!!!!!!! it's always good to book a winner. 200 ain't a whole lot but i've had wins like that (200) that've changed the way i ate that week. the top ramen diet is not cool!

Way to grind it out! was this on the barbox or your table at home?

tom mcgonagle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I often tell myself, when I'm down by a substantial amout of games and my opponent only needs one more game to put me away. "This is going to be the hardest game they have ever won, and I play accordingly."

Many times I've crawled out of the coffin.

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
Nice shooting, E-ric, thanks for sharing. It's always interesting to hear other people's Pool stories and notice some similarities to our own experiences.

Glad you're having fun with your Pool journey.

Eric

catpool9

"Rack Um"/ Rusty Lock
Silver Member
Way to go Eric, sometimes it's not the money but the person your playing/ or just the set its self. My back has been hurting like hell the last year so I know what ya mean about pain/ and I know about how good it feels to win those $200 sets also!, offsets the pain just alittle.

David Harcrow

Rick S.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What a comeback!!

I'm a Tom Petty fan also. That's a great song! Funny how things can give you the lift you need to overcome things.

Good shooting!!

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thanks for all the nice words. It was GREAT tro play without pain, its rare but I do have days when i play w/o pain probably 1 good days for every 25 days with pain.

Shannon Daulton was visiting a month or so ago and we had a partners game of 1P and he was my partner-Nice spot to be in huh??? we were giving up 3 hit and the pick, and winning, then my back went to hell and I had to pull up, I was pissed, didnt play like I can, Shannon said"we should have won every game" he was right I was the weak link, that hurt when he said that but he was right. But what can I do? i wasnt upset with Shannon, thats impossible he is family far as i'm concerned. I was pissed about my back.

I only play at my house for $$ in Vegas, actually once this year I went to the pool room and donated $400 in a 1P game. I was lost on the table I couldnt get the CB within a foot of where I wanted it to be 90% of the time, I got beat bad that day:frown: In LA I dont have a table at home so I do play for $$$ once in while at Hollywood billiards(when it was open) and House of billiards in Santa monica I have donated $$$ there a couple times. I like home court advantage.

I'll post a few more stories as they devlop, meaning what happens comming up, not past history. Hopefully more winners than losers. So for this year i'm loser $$$$ wise.

Last edited: