Cue buyer cheapskates??

nksmfamjp

Refugee...
Silver Member
Are your friends cue buying cheapskates? I have a nice wrapless 5 pts top and bottom which I paid500 - 1000 for. It shoots lights out, but my friends think it should be like 100! I don't care what they think, but I do find it funny that most mid level players I meet, think great cues should be like 200! I love showing em szamboti's, etc on here for like $5000!

Do you see this?

matcase

Blondie's #1 fan
Silver Member
The older I get, the more I see that everybody has their little passion. We like cues, some like guitars, some cars, on and on. To those who don't get the cue love, $200 is too much for a stick. Funny though, alot of them will spend $1000 on golf clubs that will be yesterdays news before they are paid for. Different strokes and all that. Be glad you enjoy your pool cue, it will be very nice for a very long time.

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hinda thought this would be a fun rant!

a guy i know who plays well and has been in action most of his pool playing career. i loaned him my cue and he won a 1700 dollar set with my gilbert. he offered me 200 for the cue i paid 900 for and really looked upset i turned it down

gdc25

I call 'em like I see 'em
Silver Member
In one of my other lives I'm involved in adult slow pitch tournament softball. (actually I'm an umpire) Thes guys that play this sport have "bat bags" that most of us would be able to fit our entire wardrobe in. In these bags they carry between 3 & 8 (I've seen as many as 10) bats that cost $200.00 - $500.00 each and are only waranteed for "one return". And these things are disposable. Most of these bats last a month before the owner has to send them in for that one time replacement.

These same guys make fun of me for dropping a few dollars on a pool cue or two that will last a lifetime. The question I like hearing the most from these guys is... "how can a piece of wood cost that much?"

I'll let you do the math and then enjoy the humor as much as I do.

TAP

"Banks are Always Open!"
Silver Member
Please see my post - High$$ Cues. Some really great responses re the same topic.

Are u buying a playable cue to be used in all areas of play, or are u buying a collector's work of art that an individual has poured his heart and blood into, which will sit on a shelf in your secluded game room or in a glass case?

I have attached a photo of a Manzino cue, which I believe to be priceless. I don't know if the cue was ever sold, nor ever will be. This is truly a work of art; one of the most beautiful pieces of hand work I have ever seen. Show your friends THIS photo, and ask what they might pay for IT.

Attachments

• Manzino Eden 2.jpg
    Manzino Eden 2.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 534

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A lot, and I do mean A Lot of people offer what they would expect to sell the cue for if they were desperate for money and can't understand why anyone would want more.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
all i got to say is who gives a dam about some NITS opinion?

If you own a nice cue its probably b/c your informed and have class and taste....don't let some hillbilly knock you, if they want to live in a trailer then let them don't mean that you have to too if you can afford a mansion.

-Grey Ghost-

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
all i got to say is who gives a dam about some NITS opinion?

don't let some hillbilly knock you, if they want to live in a trailer then let them don't mean that you have to too if you can afford a mansion.

-Grey Ghost-

hmm Let's not knock the "hillbillies" to quickly, lest I think differently of you (BTW, for part of my childhood I grew up in a trailer). You might even be related to more than you know. :)

mantis99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a nice wrapless 5 pts top and bottom which I paid 500 - 1000 for.

?

What do you mean you paid $500-1000 for the cue. Do you not remember what you actually paid for the cue, or did you really mean to just give a range? There is a huge difference between $500 and $1000. If it is a used cue that has some dings and you are hard up for cash, then $100 for a $500 cue is not unheard of, while it would have to be in pretty bad shape if it was originally $1000 to come down to that level.

nksmfamjp

Refugee...
Silver Member
I'm thrilled with the ones I've bought. I bought them because basically, I knew what I wanted and they filled the bill.

I do agree that if I got used to and changed the tip on something under $200, I could be happy enough performance-wise. It is kind of hard to really enjoy the cheaper cues which aren't the whole package.

Too me, it is about design, quality of execution, time it will hold together and be straight, time it will hold or increase value, and playability all in 1 cue.

I'm not sure most production cues can achieve design or quality very well. The ones which do either are highly sought after. To me, the funny thing about cues is we keep throwing technology hoping to make something which will make the balls pot themselves, but in the end, you still have to practice like he'll to get good!

BHQ

we'll miss you
Silver Member
Are your friends cue buying cheapskates? I have a nice wrapless 5 pts top and bottom which I paid500 - 1000 for. It shoots lights out, but my friends think it should be like 100! I don't care what they think, but I do find it funny that most mid level players I meet, think great cues should be like 200!

I love showing em szamboti's, etc on here for like $5000!

Do you see this?

but I do find it funny that most mid level players I meet, think great cues should be like 200!
you must live in a high rent district
the players i know think no cue should be over $39.99 :eek:
or 10,000 marlboro miles :grin:

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Y'all need to remember that without the hundreds of thousands of players out there buying low end cues there wouldn't be a mid to high-end market.

Do you put down someone who wouldn't pay more than $50 for a winter coat because they can't see themselves paying $2000 for mink?

There is no price for cues that makes the cue a "better" cue based on price. Any cue can be great or be a lemon. Just that you generally have a better shot at getting a great cue if you are going with a reputable maker.

I guarantee you I have had my ass handed to me by player playing with sub-$100 cues off the rack.

One player in Charlotte uses a $59 Sterling sneaky pete and hasn't even changed the tip and he plays lights out with it.

Conversely I am sure all of you know the guy who plays with a $2000 FamousCueMaker brand who couldn't drop a ball and have it hit the floor.

The old joke goes that all you need to to play with a $1000 cue is a $1000.

The fact is that MOST people ARE ignorant that such a thing exists as a $500 pool cue. Think about it, this is a niche sport in a big world. If people go to pool rooms then they are likely to see sub-200 cues for sale. And Kmart/Walmart/Sears??? Forget it.

A while back Fatboy showed us that Wal Mart now has Schon cues among others in it's onine store.

To me that is a HUGE plus factor which at least shows people that pool cues can be that expensive. I bet Schon has gotten noticed by more non-players because of that Wal-Mart connection than any other mid-to high end cue through any other means. Doesn't mean that Schon's sales are up because of it but at least it's exposure.

I once had a lady buy a pink leather 3x7 for $400. She pulled a $25 pink J&J cue out of her $15 pink nylon case and put it and ONLY it into her new $400 case.

Just because people don't NOW think that they will ever spend more than $100 on a cue doesn't mean that won't. The fact that they HAVE a cue is a start.

nksmfamjp

Refugee...
Silver Member
What do you mean you paid $500-1000 for the cue. Do you not remember what you actually paid for the cue, or did you really mean to just give a range? There is a huge difference between $500 and $1000. If it is a used cue that has some dings and you are hard up for cash, then $100 for a $500 cue is not unheard of, while it would have to be in pretty bad shape if it was originally $1000 to come down to that level.

Frankly, I don't want to list what I paid so I gave a range to show it is relevant to the discussion, but without throwing down a hard dollar figure. It was new, no dings, amazing woods and it has been a complete joy to shoot with. Also, I did kind of forget exactly what I paid, but I still have the email somewhere to look it up, I think.

JB, all good points and I'm familiar with the time in my life where $50 was a ton for me to put into a new cue. Fortunately, my parents bought that cue. That cue played well as I recall, so I know performance is not really the driver for the higher price.

Frankly, it just blows me away what average people think cues cost. I like the story about the Gilbert with the $100 offer on it that was a few posts up!!! That cracks me up.

Last edited:

mantis99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I definately understand your point, but I think JB hits it on the head. Most people are ignorant to the fact that a pool cue can cost that much. I remember when Ifirst started thinking about mountain biking. I had a few friends that had $600-$700 bikes, and I thought that was ridiculous. Once I really got into, and had trashed the $350 dollar bike I had, I realized why bikes could be so expensive, and that $600-$700 was nowhere near the top of the market. I eventually bought a much more expensive bike to race, and have seen the benefits.

Pool cues are the same and different than the above story. Beautiful cues exist that are that expensive, and have value to pool players. However, they really don't make you play much better than cues that cost significantly less. Most people won't understand why they need a better cue until they reach a level of play and understanding as to what that cue can do for them. In pool, that level may be around $400, so many people will never understand why they should have a cue over $1000.

onepocketron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm a cheapo as well, though I do own a couple of nice cues. I actually have more equipment than I have skill.