Reload this Page Frustration with LD shafts
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Frustration with LD shafts
Old
  (#1)
Centerpunch
AzB Silver Member
Centerpunch has a reputation beyond reputeCenterpunch has a reputation beyond reputeCenterpunch has a reputation beyond reputeCenterpunch has a reputation beyond reputeCenterpunch has a reputation beyond reputeCenterpunch has a reputation beyond reputeCenterpunch has a reputation beyond reputeCenterpunch has a reputation beyond reputeCenterpunch has a reputation beyond reputeCenterpunch has a reputation beyond reputeCenterpunch has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Frustration with LD shafts - 10-24-2010, 12:22 PM

Why is it that when shooting with ld shafts one goes through periods they can't pocket a ball if their life depended on it. That one would be me.
Isn't the margin of error less? I can use my good ol' trusty solid maple shafts and be right back in the swing of things.
Yet I keep trying and go back to my ld's.
Just wondering if anyone else experiences this also. And yet I can't just give up using them, they do "appear" to assist in making some great shots and giving me fantastic position.
Then it's always the shot that shouldn't be missed, yet I miss rediculously and could swear I hit it perfect.

Old
  (#2)
fastford
AzB Silver Member
fastford has a reputation beyond reputefastford has a reputation beyond reputefastford has a reputation beyond reputefastford has a reputation beyond reputefastford has a reputation beyond reputefastford has a reputation beyond reputefastford has a reputation beyond reputefastford has a reputation beyond reputefastford has a reputation beyond reputefastford has a reputation beyond reputefastford has a reputation beyond repute

10-24-2010, 04:05 PM

I had simulor results except I. Went from a z2 to a older 314 and I improved in my consisity of pocketing balls. I do not know if the little fatter shaft helped or if it was just a mental issue.

playing cue- Predator 4k
j/b -Poison vx2.9

Old
  (#3)
cheapcues.com
Cue Dealer
cheapcues.com has a reputation beyond reputecheapcues.com has a reputation beyond reputecheapcues.com has a reputation beyond reputecheapcues.com has a reputation beyond reputecheapcues.com has a reputation beyond reputecheapcues.com has a reputation beyond reputecheapcues.com has a reputation beyond reputecheapcues.com has a reputation beyond reputecheapcues.com has a reputation beyond reputecheapcues.com has a reputation beyond reputecheapcues.com has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

10-24-2010, 04:14 PM

For your standard every day run-of-the-mill shots the bigger the tip the greater your margin for error.

Your one stop shop for billiard supplies. CheapCues.com has been selling pool cues since 1999. We offer free shipping on every item in our store. We are an authorized dealer for every item we sell including:
Schon
Pechauer
Jacoby
Predator
OB Cues
Viking
McDermott
Lucasi
Instroke
Aramith
Olhausen
Brunswick

Cheapcues.com / The Billiard Shop
21785 SW Tualatin Valley Hwy. Ste A Aloha, OR 97003
mike@cheapcues.com
866-826-9602 Mon-Sat 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM Pacific

Old
  (#4)
fastford
AzB Silver Member
fastford has a reputation beyond reputefastford has a reputation beyond reputefastford has a reputation beyond reputefastford has a reputation beyond reputefastford has a reputation beyond reputefastford has a reputation beyond reputefastford has a reputation beyond reputefastford has a reputation beyond reputefastford has a reputation beyond reputefastford has a reputation beyond reputefastford has a reputation beyond repute

10-24-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapcues.com View Post
For your standard every day run-of-the-mill shots the bigger the tip the greater your margin for error.
For me it worked the other way around

playing cue- Predator 4k
j/b -Poison vx2.9

Old
  (#5)
poolplayer2093
AzB Silver Member
poolplayer2093 has a reputation beyond reputepoolplayer2093 has a reputation beyond reputepoolplayer2093 has a reputation beyond reputepoolplayer2093 has a reputation beyond reputepoolplayer2093 has a reputation beyond reputepoolplayer2093 has a reputation beyond reputepoolplayer2093 has a reputation beyond reputepoolplayer2093 has a reputation beyond reputepoolplayer2093 has a reputation beyond reputepoolplayer2093 has a reputation beyond reputepoolplayer2093 has a reputation beyond repute

10-24-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastford View Post
i used to be the same way. now i really prefer thicket tips.

Old
  (#6)
cheapcues.com
Cue Dealer
cheapcues.com has a reputation beyond reputecheapcues.com has a reputation beyond reputecheapcues.com has a reputation beyond reputecheapcues.com has a reputation beyond reputecheapcues.com has a reputation beyond reputecheapcues.com has a reputation beyond reputecheapcues.com has a reputation beyond reputecheapcues.com has a reputation beyond reputecheapcues.com has a reputation beyond reputecheapcues.com has a reputation beyond reputecheapcues.com has a reputation beyond repute

10-24-2010, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Cool! the laws of physics must not apply where you live.

Your one stop shop for billiard supplies. CheapCues.com has been selling pool cues since 1999. We offer free shipping on every item in our store. We are an authorized dealer for every item we sell including:
Schon
Pechauer
Jacoby
Predator
OB Cues
Viking
McDermott
Lucasi
Instroke
Aramith
Olhausen
Brunswick

Cheapcues.com / The Billiard Shop
21785 SW Tualatin Valley Hwy. Ste A Aloha, OR 97003
mike@cheapcues.com
866-826-9602 Mon-Sat 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM Pacific

Old
  (#7)
fastford
AzB Silver Member

10-24-2010, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Pretty neat huh? When I switched to the bigger shaft I was-am more consistent then with the thinner of the two. I can play with the z2 but when I'm on I'm on and when I'm off I'm WAY off but with the 314 if I'm off I can get back instroke. Maybe it is a mental issue or I duno but it works.

playing cue- Predator 4k
j/b -Poison vx2.9

Old
  (#8)
Atomic Playboy
AzB Bronze Member
Atomic Playboy has a reputation beyond reputeAtomic Playboy has a reputation beyond reputeAtomic Playboy has a reputation beyond reputeAtomic Playboy has a reputation beyond reputeAtomic Playboy has a reputation beyond reputeAtomic Playboy has a reputation beyond reputeAtomic Playboy has a reputation beyond reputeAtomic Playboy has a reputation beyond reputeAtomic Playboy has a reputation beyond reputeAtomic Playboy has a reputation beyond reputeAtomic Playboy has a reputation beyond repute

10-25-2010, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Pretty neat huh? When I switched to the bigger shaft I was-am more consistent then with the thinner of the two. I can play with the z2 but when I'm on I'm on and when I'm off I'm WAY off but with the 314 if I'm off I can get back instroke. Maybe it is a mental issue or I duno but it works.
It's because the smaller diameter tip is going to be less forgiving of errors in your stroke. If you aren't in stroke, the smaller tip of the z2 will magnify the minutest of tip placement issues. That's probably what you're experiencing with the more forgiving nature of the larger tip diameter in the 314. For what it's worth, I feel the same way, though my issue with the z2 stems from my dislike of the straight taper; I don't bridge as cleanly with it, and thus any mistakes in my stroke are magnified.

Old
  (#9)
Vahmurka
...and I get all da rolls
Vahmurka has a reputation beyond reputeVahmurka has a reputation beyond reputeVahmurka has a reputation beyond reputeVahmurka has a reputation beyond reputeVahmurka has a reputation beyond reputeVahmurka has a reputation beyond reputeVahmurka has a reputation beyond reputeVahmurka has a reputation beyond reputeVahmurka has a reputation beyond reputeVahmurka has a reputation beyond reputeVahmurka has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2300

10-26-2010, 05:13 AM

Quote:
that's the way it is supposed to be really. The smaller the tip, the harder to hit the center.

Quote:
could you elaborate on that? Which physics applies to your area?

Old
  (#10)
mosconiac
Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
mosconiac has a reputation beyond reputemosconiac has a reputation beyond reputemosconiac has a reputation beyond reputemosconiac has a reputation beyond reputemosconiac has a reputation beyond reputemosconiac has a reputation beyond reputemosconiac has a reputation beyond reputemosconiac has a reputation beyond reputemosconiac has a reputation beyond reputemosconiac has a reputation beyond reputemosconiac has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 624

10-26-2010, 06:39 AM

I REALLY want to see a detailed argument that proves tip diameter effects accuracy. Please take a moment to explain this theory of physics. The diameters we are talking about are 11.75mm (Z2 & OB2) to 13mm (typical for a new, traditional shaft)...that's barely a 10% difference.

Primary Cue: Barry Szamboti (Pic1/Pic2)
Break Cue: Predator BK2
Case: Jack Justis (Pic)
Table: Kim Steel 9' (Pic)
Hannah: She Chalks Before Every Shot (Pic/Vid1/Vid2)

Old
  (#11)
Bambu
Dave Manasseri
Bambu has a reputation beyond reputeBambu has a reputation beyond reputeBambu has a reputation beyond reputeBambu has a reputation beyond reputeBambu has a reputation beyond reputeBambu has a reputation beyond reputeBambu has a reputation beyond reputeBambu has a reputation beyond reputeBambu has a reputation beyond reputeBambu has a reputation beyond reputeBambu has a reputation beyond repute

10-26-2010, 06:49 AM

This issue should be more about preference than physics laws. There are guys that can play great with thin shafts, fat shafts, L/D, and everything in between. Give the shaft a fair chance, and make your decisions based on your own results. All you will get from others are mixed opinions.

Old
  (#12)
Bamacues
AzB Silver Member

Bamacues has a reputation beyond reputeBamacues has a reputation beyond reputeBamacues has a reputation beyond reputeBamacues has a reputation beyond reputeBamacues has a reputation beyond reputeBamacues has a reputation beyond reputeBamacues has a reputation beyond reputeBamacues has a reputation beyond reputeBamacues has a reputation beyond reputeBamacues has a reputation beyond reputeBamacues has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 5300

10-26-2010, 07:19 AM

The difference is primarily in the quality of the stroke, not in the shaft diameter.

If you have a good, clean stroke and can hit dead center (or any other spot) exactly when and as you want, then the thinner shaft may be what you want.

If your stroke is off, even in the most minute amount, that will be magnified by the thinner shaft, leading to much more spin than desired, missed shots, etc.

A 1mm difference in shaft size makes a lot of difference, especially when you have poor aim or stroke.

As for missing with low-deflection shafts versus solid maple, I know a lot of players who have gone back to good, solid maple shafts and have tossed the "low-deflection" shafts. It is really tough to beat a top quality custom shaft made from a good piece of wood.

Joe

Playing Cue: Not playing at this time

Old
  (#13)
nksmfamjp
Refugee...
nksmfamjp has a reputation beyond reputenksmfamjp has a reputation beyond reputenksmfamjp has a reputation beyond reputenksmfamjp has a reputation beyond reputenksmfamjp has a reputation beyond reputenksmfamjp has a reputation beyond reputenksmfamjp has a reputation beyond reputenksmfamjp has a reputation beyond reputenksmfamjp has a reputation beyond reputenksmfamjp has a reputation beyond reputenksmfamjp has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via Yahoo to nksmfamjp  
10-26-2010, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosconiac View Post
I REALLY want to see a detailed argument that proves tip diameter effects accuracy. Please take a moment to explain this theory of physics. The diameters we are talking about are 11.75mm (Z2 & OB2) to 13mm (typical for a new, traditional shaft)...that's barely a 10% difference.
I had to green this post. I ain't no rocket scientist myself(but I did work at a rocket motor maker!), but I gotta label this one as possible BS!!

Player: Dindo Perez 20oz
Break: Brianna SP 20oz
Other: Chuck Starkey PJ, BB coming!
Jump: Bebot Bautista BEM
Case: JB Case Nathan: Review!
Home: プレーアズ宇都宮

Old
  (#14)
mdavis228
AzB Gold Member
mdavis228 has a reputation beyond reputemdavis228 has a reputation beyond reputemdavis228 has a reputation beyond reputemdavis228 has a reputation beyond reputemdavis228 has a reputation beyond reputemdavis228 has a reputation beyond reputemdavis228 has a reputation beyond reputemdavis228 has a reputation beyond reputemdavis228 has a reputation beyond reputemdavis228 has a reputation beyond reputemdavis228 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 5300

10-26-2010, 08:24 AM

It will make a difference if you're not as consistent with your tip position contact on the cue ball. You can get unexpected spin velocity with a smaller tip if you aren't careful. You can have the same issue with a larger tip, of course - but not to quite the same extent.

Chris Davis

If you're gonna sell cues, buy a scale and calipers.

Main players: 1930's Gilbert Titlist, Custom Olneys. Piloted joints for me.
Play shafts: Cash Cues ferrule-less and OB Classic
Break: X Breaker & Gilbert JB - both w/ OB Break shafts
Jump: Lomax

Old
  (#15)
9 on the snap
Budweiser fears me
9 on the snap has a reputation beyond repute9 on the snap has a reputation beyond repute9 on the snap has a reputation beyond repute9 on the snap has a reputation beyond repute9 on the snap has a reputation beyond repute9 on the snap has a reputation beyond repute9 on the snap has a reputation beyond repute9 on the snap has a reputation beyond repute9 on the snap has a reputation beyond repute9 on the snap has a reputation beyond repute9 on the snap has a reputation beyond repute

10-26-2010, 09:29 AM

I like regular maple. On my pancakes too!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: