Heating unit for table?

Jimmy M.

Insomniac
Silver Member
My table at home doesn't really play like I think it should and I am actually starting to blame the conditions in my house. I say this because I already sold one table because of how it was playing (just kind of dead, despite having new cloth and new Artemis rubber) and bought a 9' Gabriels. Now my Gabriels, again, despite having cloth that is in very good condition, and Artemis rubber that is only as old as the table, is playing kind of dead.

Because of this, I am considering trying to heat my table to see if that changes the way it plays. Does anyone here have any experience with what it would take to sufficiently heat the table, preferably without burning my house down? :)

Roy Vadas

Baby Seal Clubber
Silver Member
Best tip I ever got for heating a table was to use an electric blanket on it. It was recommended for an outside table we had a long time ago. Very effective as I was able to set the temp on it.

I cannot for the life of me remember who suggested that but it was on AZ some time ago. Maybe a search for "Table heating?"

Regards,
~Roy

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you wanted to go all out then it'll be a job. I don't know what your table looks like underneath but you'll need to mount your wire to boards that will fit up between the slate support members. The wire is looped back and forth about 3-4 inches apart and stapled down. Then jumper it to the next quadrant. For the thermostat you'll need to drill a small hole to inset the thermocouple. It'll be a few hundred bucks to do this entire job.

If you own a space heater or two that will fit under the table try them out first and see if there's any benefit. I really don't think you'll see too much difference.

I'd first look at tightness of the cloth.
Cleanliness of cloth and balls.
Type of cloth.
Did the rails loosen?
Are people sitting on the rail detaching the rubber?
Call Gabriels
Seek a real professional mechanic.

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
check with your Olhausen dealer, they might do a retro fit as they used to make heated carom tables

they also have what some consider to be the liveliest cushions out there replacing the rubber may be a cheaper option

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
My table at home doesn't really play like I think it should and I am actually starting to blame the conditions in my house. I say this because I already sold one table because of how it was playing (just kind of dead, despite having new cloth and new Artemis rubber) and bought a 9' Gabriels. Now my Gabriels, again, despite having cloth that is in very good condition, and Artemis rubber that is only as old as the table, is playing kind of dead.

Because of this, I am considering trying to heat my table to see if that changes the way it plays. Does anyone here have any experience with what it would take to sufficiently heat the table, preferably without burning my house down? :)

If the cloth is clean and tight...and the rail-bolts are tight...
..then the problem might be playing time.
If rubber doesn't get hit enough it will go dead.
I knew a great old-time player who would hit the point of the cushions
with a rubber mallet if the table was idle too long.

The busiest table in a room tends to play the best..that rubber needs
hitting.

BRKNRUN

Showin some A$$
Silver Member
Just wait about another month...then just turn off your AC and open all the doors and windows.....your table will be plenty heated...:wink:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just wait about another month...then just turn off your AC and open all the doors and windows.....your table will be plenty heated...:wink:

No bet!

The cheap-o way is electric blanket, but that would obv lose heat the moment blanket is removed...and continuing to decrease to ambient temperature.

Next is space heater/s under. Then you are increasing the room temperature as well.

I was told by a billiard table magician that the proper way to go is to yse a waterbed heater and styrofoam under the table, but I do not have details on the actual how-to. I will PM him to see if he can share further with you. Sorry to say he is in the N.East corner of the US!

brechbt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have you considered humidity as a factor? I started playing at a friend's house; he has a Gandy in his basement. Despite having 860 on it, it played really slow. I noticed the first time I was there that the basement seemed pretty humid compared to mine, and suggested he get a dehumidifier. He did, and within a couple of weeks his table began playing noticeably faster. Something to look at if you haven't already.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
brechbt...There MIGHT be a little bit of humidity in Phoenix...when it's raining! Otherwise, that's most likely not the issue here. :grin:

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Have you considered humidity as a factor? I started playing at a friend's house; he has a Gandy in his basement. Despite having 860 on it, it played really slow. I noticed the first time I was there that the basement seemed pretty humid compared to mine, and suggested he get a dehumidifier. He did, and within a couple of weeks his table began playing noticeably faster. Something to look at if you haven't already.

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the cloth is clean and tight...and the rail-bolts are tight...
..then the problem might be playing time.
If rubber doesn't get hit enough it will go dead.
I knew a great old-time player who would hit the point of the cushions
with a rubber mallet if the table was idle too long.

The busiest table in a room tends to play the best..that rubber needs
hitting.

That's great! Now I have to keep playing so the rubber doesn't go dead?!
:cool: Next thing will be.... I have to start talking nice to it.

Is that really true? I was told Artemis will last a lifetime. If it goes dead all by itself from lack of play, I wouldn't call that "lasting".

I guess I'll have a permanent excuse now, if I ever need one. :wink:

td

stuckart

Paint Dry Watching Champ
Silver Member
I found that when I have my mountain bike on top of my table the balls have a hard time rolling fast enough to hit both end rails.

Maybe your rail rubber is jealous of your bike tubes?

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
That's great! Now I have to keep playing so the rubber doesn't go dead?!
:cool: Next thing will be.... I have to start talking nice to it.

Is that really true? I was told Artemis will last a lifetime. If it goes dead all by itself from lack of play, I wouldn't call that "lasting".

I guess I'll have a permanent excuse now, if I ever need one. :wink:

td

I know a room that has Gold Crown ones..mid 60's.
The main room plays great 'cause it's always busy..rubber still original.
3 tables in a private space in the back are dead as hell..they don't get
played enough.
So,if you play lots, you AND the table will play well.

..and I don't think it's a sign of sanity to talk to your table...:p
..although I DO have a stroke named Lucile..:eek:

Jimmy M.

Insomniac
Silver Member
Thanks for all the suggestions. I've never heard that about the rubber going dead from not getting enough play but, up until just a couple months ago, my table sat there covered for 2 years, so maybe there's something to that.

Jerry, I'll do my best to keep my mountain bike off the table! ;)

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The 5x10 that Earl and Shane just played on had a space heater under it. Why?

I think they said it was just recovered, but the rails not.

Was it just cold where they were playing?

Anybody know if this (heating)was to avoid the cost of replacing the cushions and cushion cloth, something else?

Last edited:

Zbotiman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Accu-Stats solution

This was a topic of discussion among a couple of commentators this year at DCC, how to make your table play as fast as the T.V. table. Now this is a super fast table at every event. Why? The lights generate heat and the surface always plays fast and dry, everywhere! Rain, sleet, or snow, moisture is no match for that heat. Bad new is, it takes a 20 amp circuit.
It works best on a nine-footer, 6, 350 watt incandescent bulbs in a fixture, with diffusers over them. Man, does it look great though. The really good news is, it makes the table play to it's ultimate, best.:thumbup2:

Last edited:

Deadon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
An old friend of mine used a warmer on his table that came from his piano. Its similar to the wire ones used in waterbeds. It worked great. If it was good for an expensive piano, I guess its alright for the table, same moisture issues where the wood is concerned.

billiardshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The carom heaters I've seen were as described above with a chamber formed by plywood below the slates. Heater wire is mounted on the top of the plywood using ceramic standoffs. Here is some info on a commercial heater: http://www.sfbilliards.com/Gabriels_heater.pdf

A youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7xEz_adDYI

Here a few pictures from the Champion of Champion 3C event held in March 2011 by Professqball Promotions at SBE, Valley Forge, PA, showing heating element setup

dsc_2691.jpg

dsc_2692.jpg

dsc_2690.jpg

dsc_2709.jpg

More pictures can be found here:
http://professorqball.com/?page_id=1003&album=16&gallery=16

Last edited: