New OB Classic Pro shaft for the POW-MIA cue.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
I continue to explore new methods for aiming and new equipment to tweak my mediocre game.

Recently I started using an OB Classic Pro shaft for my Mike Bender cue. I was told that the cue would be a stiffer hitting cue and it is what I have been wanting to move toward for some time now. I did not want to give up the low cue ball squirt characteristics of the OB2 shaft that I play with and I was also told that the squirt characteristics were similar to the OB 2 shaft.

I immediately started playing with the shaft full time and was actually gambling with it within 8 hours of using it. I played one particularly tough match, where I lost 6 games in a row, playing a 6 ahead set for 200. I knew that the table was tough and giving up the eight ball, you can't hang the 7, 8 or 9 up in the hole four times in a row and win. So I bellied up to the table and forced myself to play again. I knew it wasn't the cue and that I was a bit intimidated by the table. The results were much better. I got even and my opponent quit. :D I'm glad he did in one respect. It took him about 30 minutes to win his set and it took me four hours to win mine. :p

Anyway back to the OB Classic Pro. It has a small diameter ferrule and the shaft is a laminated shaft with all of the benefits of a normal OB shaft, including the low squirt characteristics. The ferrule is VERY SHORT, I mean VERY,VERY short. lol.

What I immediately noticed was how stiff the shaft was. Some others in the pool room hit with it and remarked how much stiffer the shaft was than the OB2 and I had to agree, it was different.

Now some of this that I'm going to write now might seem bizarre but I am honest in my perspectives about what I see and feel. This may or may not be what other people surmise but when I use the OB Classic Pro, I noticed that I was making far more bank shots than I normally do. I didn't notice any reduction in consistency in making traditional shots but I felt confident shooting straight in shots and also was confident in getting shape. The biggest surprise was how the shaft was affecting my banking which isn't the worst in the world. I simply believe I am more consistent with banking than I was before.

Kilby the cue maker from Oregon made some comments in another thread where I asked about conical tapers & pro tapers becuase of my experience with the OB Classic Pro although I didn't mention my shaft in that thread.
Some of what he posted that kind of makes sense to me on a playing level:
"A full explanation would cause massive yawning, but here is the short version. Energy is stored and released when cue hits ball; the more a cue flexes the higher percentage of the released energy is absorbed in the cue, not in the ball; the stiffer the cue, the more energy is transferred to the ball. Therefore, a stiffer cue (European taper) ALWAYS produces higher ball energy, whether it be spin or velocity. (That was the short answer!) "

Part 2: "The second part of the question is accuracy. The more energy transferred to the ball the better. Side-spin causes centripetal force to try to bring the cueball back on line from the squirt generated by the off-center hit. The greater the energy in the ball, the greater the centripetal force, the quicker the ball comes back to the intended line. Therefore, the stiffer cue is more accurate. (short answer somewhat extended.) "

Part 3. "the only time a cueball is NOT initially deflected from its intended line is when it is hit exactly at 6 or 12 o'clock. any contact laterally pushes the cueball in the opposite direction, however slight. The degree of centripetal force imparted to the ball determine how quickly it returns to the intended line. To demonstrate rather grossly, put your cuetip against the cueball at 3 o'clock and simply push on the ball -- it goes to the left and doesn't come back on line, deflected but no centripetal force generated. With a good stroke and at normal speed, it MAY return to its intended line if sufficient centripetal force is generated. The flex in the cue shaft is energy absorbed by the cue and released after the ball is away, hence "wasted" energy. Physics, just physics.... "

There were some other excellent posts with differing opinions shared and I appreciate all of the posts by everyone. You can see that thread by clicking here.

Please feel free to share your perspective about the OB Classic Pro, pro tapers and conical tapers. Anyone ever heard of a Komori taper?

Not to get off of the subject... but I'm using the OB Classic Pro full-time and will be playing with it in the U.S. OPen One Pocket Championship. I know it's right around the corner but I feel comfortable with it and will use it unless I have a complete change of heart between now and next month. :thumbup:

I love this journey and continue to learn a lot from others in this forum. Thanks for all of your posts and perspectives even when they don't agree with mine.

Sincerely,
JoeyA

Last edited:

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
Joey, one of your points I had recently been thinking about...

I had been thinking recently about how a LD shaft might be able to impart more spin on the ball and had come up with exactly your point.

Lower shaft deflection, means less energy goes into the deflection of the shaft and more energy goes into the ball, which on an off center hit means more enegy imparted towards spin, which is why it spins more.

I have been prototyping and developing a low deflection shaft and one of the recent prototypes seemed to much more easily impart spin, even more so than other LD shafts I have tried and played with, which is what made me think about how it was possible.

Prior to these experiments, I had thought that it must be a trick of the mind as to why people thought that an LD shaft imparted more spin.

Once I had felt it myself, I had to really consider how it could be possible, and that's when it had dawned on me about lost versus used energy in the transfer of energy between cue and CB.

Jaden

p.s. I had never liked the hollow feel of the 314 and some other LD shafts which is why I had been developing an LD shaft that wouldn't have that hollow feel. We are still ironing out some of the kinks, but it should be coming to market in the near future... If you'd like to be a beta tester let me know and give me the dimensions of your joint and a picture of the ring work and I'll make you one.

JoeyA

Silver Member
I had been thinking recently about how a LD shaft might be able to impart more spin on the ball and had come up with exactly your point.

Lower shaft deflection, means less energy goes into the deflection of the shaft and more energy goes into the ball, which on an off center hit means more enegy imparted towards spin, which is why it spins more.

I have been prototyping and developing a low deflection shaft and one of the recent prototypes seemed to much more easily impart spin, even more so than other LD shafts I have tried and played with, which is what made me think about how it was possible.

Prior to these experiments, I had thought that it must be a trick of the mind as to why people thought that an LD shaft imparted more spin.

Once I had felt it myself, I had to really consider how it could be possible, and that's when it had dawned on me about lost versus used energy in the transfer of energy between cue and CB.

Jaden

p.s. I had never liked the hollow feel of the 314 and some other LD shafts which is why I had been developing an LD shaft that wouldn't have that hollow feel. We are still ironing out some of the kinks, but it should be coming to market in the near future... If you'd like to be a beta tester let me know and give me the dimensions of your joint and a picture of the ring work and I'll make you one.

My shaft joint is 3/8 14 thread with .840 joint.

Always looking to improve. I try to look past the hollow feel that you describe and evaluate the cue/shaft's performance rather than how it feels or looks. just sayin...

I would be happy to test out one of your shafts. Good luck.
JoeyA

jrhendy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I continue to explore new methods for aiming and new equipment to tweak my mediocre game.

Recently I started using an OB Classic Pro shaft for my Mike Bender cue. I was told that the cue would be a stiffer hitting cue and it is what I have been wanting to move toward for some time now. I did not want to give up the low cue ball squirt characteristics of the OB2 shaft that I play with and I was also told that the squirt characteristics were similar to the OB 2 shaft.

I immediately started playing with the shaft full time and was actually gambling with it within 8 hours of using it. I played one particularly tough match, where I lost 6 games in a row, playing a 6 ahead set for 200. I knew that the table was tough and giving up the eight ball, you can't hang the 7, 8 or 9 up in the hole four times in a row and win. So I bellied up to the table and forced myself to play again. I knew it wasn't the cue and that I was a bit intimidated by the table. The results were much better. I got even and my opponent quit. :D I'm glad he did in one respect. It took him about 30 minutes to win his set and it took me four hours to win mine. :p

Anyway back to the OB Classic Pro. It has a small diameter ferrule and the shaft is a laminated shaft with all of the benefits of a normal OB shaft, including the low squirt characteristics. The ferrule is VERY SHORT, I mean VERY,VERY short. lol.

What I immediately noticed was how stiff the shaft was. Some others in the pool room hit with it and remarked how much stiffer the shaft was than the OB2 and I had to agree, it was different.

Now some of this that I'm going to write now might seem bizarre but I am honest in my perspectives about what I see and feel. This may or may not be what other people surmise but when I use the OB Classic Pro, I noticed that I was making far more bank shots than I normally do. I didn't notice any reduction in consistency in making traditional shots but I felt confident shooting straight in shots and also was confident in getting shape. The biggest surprise was how the shaft was affecting my banking which isn't the worst in the world. I simply believe I am more consistent with banking than I was before.

Kilby the cue maker from Oregon made some comments in another thread where I asked about conical tapers & pro tapers becuase of my experience with the OB Classic Pro although I didn't mention my shaft in that thread.
Some of what he posted that kind of makes sense to me on a playing level:
"A full explanation would cause massive yawning, but here is the short version. Energy is stored and released when cue hits ball; the more a cue flexes the higher percentage of the released energy is absorbed in the cue, not in the ball; the stiffer the cue, the more energy is transferred to the ball. Therefore, a stiffer cue (European taper) ALWAYS produces higher ball energy, whether it be spin or velocity. (That was the short answer!) "

Part 2: "The second part of the question is accuracy. The more energy transferred to the ball the better. Side-spin causes centripetal force to try to bring the cueball back on line from the squirt generated by the off-center hit. The greater the energy in the ball, the greater the centripetal force, the quicker the ball comes back to the intended line. Therefore, the stiffer cue is more accurate. (short answer somewhat extended.) "

Part 3. "the only time a cueball is NOT initially deflected from its intended line is when it is hit exactly at 6 or 12 o'clock. any contact laterally pushes the cueball in the opposite direction, however slight. The degree of centripetal force imparted to the ball determine how quickly it returns to the intended line. To demonstrate rather grossly, put your cuetip against the cueball at 3 o'clock and simply push on the ball -- it goes to the left and doesn't come back on line, deflected but no centripetal force generated. With a good stroke and at normal speed, it MAY return to its intended line if sufficient centripetal force is generated. The flex in the cue shaft is energy absorbed by the cue and released after the ball is away, hence "wasted" energy. Physics, just physics.... "

There were some other excellent posts with differing opinions shared and I appreciate all of the posts by everyone. You can see that thread by clicking here.

Please feel free to share your perspective about the OB Classic Pro, pro tapers and conical tapers. Anyone ever heard of a Komori taper?

Not to get off of the subject... but I'm using the OB Classic Pro full-time and will be playing with it in the U.S. OPen One Pocket Championship. I know it's right around the corner but I feel comfortable with it and will use it unless I have a complete change of heart between now and next month. :thumbup:

I love this journey and continue to learn a lot from others in this forum. Thanks for all of your posts and perspectives even when they don't agree with mine.

Sincerely,
JoeyA

I know OB uses a wood ferrule in their shafts and probably hollows out the end of the shaft to reduce the weight at the end of the shaft even more.

In theory, a shaft that is lighter at the tip will have less deflection.

I use a shaft without a ferrule and the tip is mounted on a pad. Very little deflection and it distributes english better without going too far off the center of the cue ball.

My shaft is made by Kenny Koo from the East Bay in Northern CA.

Good luck at The Open and will see you there. John

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
3/8 14???

My shaft joint is 3/8 14 thread with .840 joint.

Always looking to improve. I try to look past the hollow feel that you describe and evaluate the cue/shaft's performance rather than how it feels or looks. just sayin...

I would be happy to test out one of your shafts. Good luck.
JoeyA

wow. ok... I may have to get an insert for that. I don't think I have a 3/8 14 tap are you sure you don't mean 5/16-14?

I've heard of 3/8-10 and 3/8-11 but I've never seen a 3/8-14 pin on a cue before?

Jaden

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I know OB uses a wood ferrule in their shafts and probably hollows out the end of the shaft to reduce the weight at the end of the shaft even more.

I use a shaft without a ferrule and the tip is mounted on a pad. Very little deflection and it distributes english better without going too far off the center of the cue ball.

John,

I only looked at this thread because I though you were barking at JoeyA again, much to my disappointment :). Just so you know, the OB classic & classic pro do not have the wood ferrules the original OB shafts have, they have a very thin white ferrule, close to no ferrule at all. Still have the LD attributes but they are heavier in weight and hit more like a standard maple shaft. If I were to play w/a low deflection shaft, these are the ones I would use, I just can't get used to them.

Have fun at the Open, I wish I could join you and Joey. Play well. But please, next time you write something in one of Joey's posts, please bark at him at least a little :thumbup:.

Dave

JoeyA

Silver Member

The OB Classic Pro has a white ferrule, not the wood ferrule like on the OB 2. Thanks for the info on the shaft from Kenny Koo. No ferrule... very interesting.

I look forward to seeing you at the U.S. Open One Pocket Championship. Maybe you will let me hit a few balls with your cue?

JoeyA

JoeyA

Silver Member
John,

I only looked at this thread because I though you were barking at JoeyA again, much to my disappointment :). Just so you know, the OB classic & classic pro do not have the wood ferrules the original OB shafts have, they have a very thin white ferrule, close to no ferrule at all. Still have the LD attributes but they are heavier in weight and hit more like a standard maple shaft. If I were to play w/a low deflection shaft, these are the ones I would use, I just can't get used to them.

Have fun at the Open, I wish I could join you and Joey. Play well. But please, next time you write something in one of Joey's posts, please bark at him at least a little :thumbup:.

Dave

New pals....what are they good for?:D

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member

This particular shaft Joey is using is not built this way. It has a short plastic ferrule and is not hollow on the end. Weight is removed from the taper and the insertion of lighter wood in the very end of the cue, but it is solid.

However OB accomplished it, it is one of the stiffest 11.75mm tipped LD shafts available.

The impact with the cue ball on extreme spin shots feels as if the tip is cutting through the cue ball. Many LD shafts feels as though they are bouncing of the cue ball.

It's a good, solid LD shaft. The small tip is a little more precise on delicate spin shots in my opinion.

Chris

champ2107

Banned
I just received my ob classic i have been waiting for like 6 weeks now, 5 minutes ago haha, 30 inches and 12.50, its looks nice!!

jrhendy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John,

Dave

If you can't beat um, join um......

JoeyA

Silver Member
If you can't beat um, join um......

John
Just don't go talking about joining CTE/Pro One. The small group of misguided naysaying vigilantes that are left will hang you in effigy for sure. lol

JoeyA