Anybody going to the Valley Forge 8 ball barbox championships?

Anybody going to the Valley Forge 8 ball barbox championships June 17-19?
http://www.valleyforge8ball.com/open.html
This is an Allen Hopkins event, at the Valley Forge Convention Center where the Super Billiards Expo is held. $100 entry single elimination race to 8, 256 player max. I believe that advance registration is required either online or via mail.

They will have tables available in the overnight hours and 25 cent "practice" tables. Should be lots of action to be had there.

Valley Forge Bar Box Championship

Anybody else going? This should be fun if enough people go. The event is held in the lower portion of the convention center. If it's even 1/2 as much action as SBE it will be enough for me.

1,000th post here:D, trying to drum up action as usual!!!

BluesTele

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone know the table size ?
I've seen players refer to both 7 & 8' as bar box...

Last edited:

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
At SBE, they had 7' Diamonds with Simonis 860. I don't see why it would be any different.

Is there a vendors lists? I would attend if there were vendors.

100 bucks gets you 3 grand, not such a good deal esp with single elimination.
Where else could you make 30 times your entry fee? You only have to witn 8 in a row to get the cash and the title right!

The real deal is that you can get all the $20 a rack action you can handle, plus matchup for sets with anybody there.

It's a grind, but I think I'm going to end up going. Just trying to see if it's going to be well attended. I think they had almost 200 last year, from what I read on "The Grind".

schon267

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
256 players @ 100 =25'600 paying out 17'700 based on full field, no money added, just 7900 taken out of purse. not a good deal at all to me.

cueball1950

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
256 players @ 100 =25'600 paying out 17'700 based on full field, no money added, just 7900 taken out of purse. not a good deal at all to me.

your numbers may be correct, but you have to figure out what Allen is paying to rent the space and his expenses. Does not seem to be a lot of money when you figure that in............:thumbup:.......mike

budonahog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's a 100 bucks!

For crying out loud, we spend a $100 filling up the damn gas tank. If nothing else, it will be a good challenge and a chance to meet some new people and watch/play some action games. I'm not going to worry about how much the payout is. It's an opportunity to support our passion. For those that want to sit back and complain about the payout, stay home, and don't whine when there are no more events to partake in. Just sayin....

For crying out loud, we spend a $100 filling up the damn gas tank. If nothing else, it will be a good challenge and a chance to meet some new people and watch/play some action games. I'm not going to worry about how much the payout is. It's an opportunity to support our passion. For those that want to sit back and complain about the payout, stay home, and don't whine when there are no more events to partake in. Just sayin....

You must be a mindreader. No offense directly to anybody else who posted, but why do you think that there aren't any good amateur events for players anymore? Because players don't support them.

Last year my friend and I tried to get a $100 entry handicapped tournament going locally that would have 100% payout. We spread the word for several weeks. When the day came it was just us 2 that showed. So we played $100 sets like always.

This game needs a heart transplant.

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You must be a mindreader. No offense directly to anybody else who posted, but why do you think that there aren't any good amateur events for players anymore? Because players don't support them.

Last year my friend and I tried to get a $100 entry handicapped tournament going locally that would have 100% payout. We spread the word for several weeks. When the day came it was just us 2 that showed. So we played $100 sets like always.

This game needs a heart transplant.

This is very much true!sadly.

schon267

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
people are just not supporting pool this day in age period, that is just the way it is now, like it or not. we have the same problem in my area getting small tourny turnout. 20 yrs ago was a different story.

as far as allens tourny, my point was that if you cash in 17-32, that pays 325. my airfare- at least 200-300, hotel- 200 , food- 100 for 3 days, entry fee -100, walking around money ???? total to attend- 650.00.

you would have to cash 5-8th to make 150, and the way economy is now, you just have to be realistic and go where payout is a little better for fighting through 256 players.

as far as allens cost to put on tourny, only allen knows for sure, nobody knows the parameters of his deals with the expo center. just sayin

I hope everyone that goes has a great time and does good, if it were close to me, I would definitely be there!

BluesTele

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The costs of:

renting the venue,
promotion,
equipment rental, setup and takedown,
insurance, etc.
then come away with a little profit for your work...

it doesn't sound that bad to me !

people are just not supporting pool this day in age period, that is just the way it is now, like it or not. we have the same problem in my area getting small tourny turnout. 20 yrs ago was a different story.

as far as allens tourny, my point was that if you cash in 17-32, that pays 325. my airfare- at least 200-300, hotel- 200 , food- 100 for 3 days, entry fee -100, walking around money ???? total to attend- 650.00.

you would have to cash 5-8th to make 150, and the way economy is now, you just have to be realistic and go where payout is a little better for fighting through 256 players.

as far as allens cost to put on tourny, only allen knows for sure, nobody knows the parameters of his deals with the expo center. just sayin

I hope everyone that goes has a great time and does good, if it were close to me, I would definitely be there!

Agreed that wouldn't work, unless you count on winning matching up with people.

My costs:
-Gas + tolls for the 8 hour round trip, probably $80.
-Crash in my car for 1 or 2 nights, trailblazer with a fouton mattress in back, a slice of heaven to be sure, 0$.
-Food, who has time to eat with all this action around.
-Entry fee $100, my donation to help keep it all running.

Bottom line, I'm there if the wife will give me back my nuts from her purse...

SKILLZELITE

Universality
Gold Member
Silver Member
I had thought about it, but I think my once a year super billiards expo trip is enough.. I've heard that there's not as many ppl there..

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

100 dollar entry fee for a single elimination tournament that Allen consistently will let pro caliber players in. Naaaaa not interested