For the N.E. folks-BEF Youth Nationals Fundraiser

Monstermash

Lock Ness Monster
Silver Member
Roy Pastor, a certified BCA advanced instructor is hosting a benefit for his youth team which he coaches so they can attend the Youth National Pool Tournament. According to Roy, he has a group of very talented kids some of whom are capable of running 150 balls in straight pool! :thumbup:

The event is at the Billiard Cafe in Ayer, MA on Wednesday, June 15, 2011 starting at 5:00 P.M. Food will be served and I believe the entry fee for a "luck of the draw" doubles tournament is $20.00. Roy is very active in the national pool community and knows several well known pros personally so I guess there is a possibility of some of them attending although I have no confirmation I'm only speculating.

This is a great opportunity to get involved for a good cause and help promote the future of our sport. Here is a link to the venue's web page:

http://www.thebilliardscafe.com/

Here is a link to the Billiard Academy website with some info on Roy.

http://www.billiardacademy.com/instructors.htm

Myself and a few friends are planning to attend as it's sure to be a good time and it's for a good cause. I hope to see some of you there!

UPDATE!!!

I have just learned that Paul Drexler from PFD Studios will be attending the event. He will have a table set up will cues available for sale, cues currently in progress, and will be discussing the process of building a custom cue.
He will also take custom orders and/or repair work for anyone that needs it. He will not be doing repair work on site.

Last edited:

Monstermash

Lock Ness Monster
Silver Member
Bump... To try and keep this near the top.

I know the main forum section moves rather quickly so if you read this and it's not on the first few pages, please bump it for me. This is a very good cause and can possibly have a huge impact on the future of our sport.

Thanks

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My son plays in the Jr APA league there that Roy runs where this funding will go. The Jr. MA state championship was held in Ayer as well a few weeks back.

I'll be there for sure. Is this posted in the tournament area as well?

Great idea for a benefit, my son has talked about heading to the Jr Nationals ever since he joined the league, and I did the costs for airfare/hotel, came up to $1,600 for 5 days. Which seems a bit pricy to me, but I only looked on one site so far.

If anyone lives near the University of Illinois and wants an 11 yr old crashing at their place, let me know :grin:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hang-the-9...Can any junior player automatically play in the Junior Nationals? In the years I was involved you had to win a qualifier to play in the Junior Nationals. That sounds pretty expensive, unless you live in AK or HI...but I expect you're talking about yourself and your son. BTW, the U of I is in Champaign/Urbana. The Junior Nationals will be held again, at NORTHERN Illinois University, which is in DeKalb, IL...about an hour or so west of Chicago. Good luck with your quest! :thumbup:

On topic...Good luck with the fundraiser Roy! Maybe you can get PFD to donate a cue to auction or raffle off.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Great idea for a benefit, my son has talked about heading to the Jr Nationals ever since he joined the league, and I did the costs for airfare/hotel, came up to $1,600 for 5 days. Which seems a bit pricy to me, but I only looked on one site so far.

If anyone lives near the University of Illinois and wants an 11 yr old crashing at their place, let me know :grin:

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hang-the-9...Can any junior player automatically play in the Junior Nationals? In the years I was involved you had to win a qualifier to play in the Junior Nationals. That sounds pretty expensive, unless you live in AK or HI...but I expect you're talking about yourself and your son. BTW, the U of I is in Champaign/Urbana. The Junior Nationals will be held again, at NORTHERN Illinois University, which is in DeKalb, IL...about an hour or so west of Chicago. Good luck with your quest! :thumbup:

On topic...Good luck with the fundraiser Roy! Maybe you can get PFD to donate a cue to auction or raffle off.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

You do need to win a qualifier (the ones he played in were also the CT and MA jr. state champs), but I think each area of the Jr. APA can select players to reach a number alloted to that area per age group. At least that's how I understood Roy explaining it to me. Thanks for explaining the differences between the two places, and the cost is for both of us. Doubt we can go this year anyway, had a bunch of car and medical bills creap up :angry::( Raising 4 kids puts a big damper on "fun" money hehe.

Last edited:

Monstermash

Lock Ness Monster
Silver Member
Just a quick bump because this is coming up this Wednesday. I hope to see some of you there.

If you attend, please come by Mr. Drexler's area and say hello. I will be playing in the luck of the draw tournament but I will try to spend some time with Paul as well. I would love to meet some of you guys. :thumbup:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is tonight, but so are the Stanley Cup finals, game 7. I'm thinking it will have an affect on attendance.