Woodworth cues?

cesarmorales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you talking about woody woodworth?

Woody used to live in San Antonio and I have tried out a couple of his cues. They hit good. Depending on the joint, they have a nice hit and are build solid if that is what you are asking.

Solid hit or construction?

If this is the Woodworth you are talking about, I have a story to tell you about him.

About thirty years ago, when I first starting to learn how to play pool I used to go to Waltons Buggyworks. There was one 9 foot table that the players always wanted to play on that was near the bar. I was on that table practicing and Woody comes in and asks me if I want to play some cheap. At the time I knew that nobody is going to watch you hit balls and then come over and ask to gamble if they don't have the nut!!

I tell him I will not gamble but he wanted to play on THAT table so he agrees to play for fun. We play for about an hour or two and then he tells me he has to leave and when I tell him to close out his bill for pool time he tells me that I should be honored to have played with him and that I should pay his pool time. Yes, he was probably winning 4 out of 5 games but I said no, you pay your own pool time. Then he tells me, HEY, LET ME GIVE YOU SOME ADVICE, YOU WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO PLAY GOOD ENOUGH TO GAMBLE WITH ANYONE.

About a year later I did play woody for a couple of dollars a game and beat him, hahaha.

Woody has a ego, maybe even to the point of being a jerk, I had other experiences with him later but he makes good cues.

But I would want to try out one of his cues before making a big purchase like any cue maker out there.

Last edited:

DrOnePocket

Banned
His construction is solid and his cues are usually pretty stiff. I recommend you find a used cue as they don't hold their value well. You can get one pretty cheap.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I concur with dronepocket, stiff hit. I bought mine mainly because I wanted something made from Osage Orange. Big pin, everest tip, stiff hit.

Here is a video from a couple weeks ago of me banging some balls with it. It has replaced a Schon I played with for several years. I would say it is a good custom cue for the money, lot of bang for the bucks.

https://vimeo.com/48752377

m79a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have never hit one of his playing cues. I have a j/b I have enjoyed it.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
I have a very old 6-pointer that hits good.
The story I heard was that he came to Denver with some cues about 20-years ago, and this cue came from that batch.
It's been in a refinish mode at a cuemakers shop for quite a while, but the woods are tulipwood with ebony points, very nice looking cue.
I wouldn't call it stiff, but I didn't play with it that much.
I've never talked to Woody, but he's been building cues for a long time, and you should be able to get a good deal in the secondary market.

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good

A friend of mine owned two and said they played great,and he was a pretty decent player.

jhanso18

Broken Lock
Silver Member
I've played a couple of different cues from him. His stuff plays good, but I've heard he can be difficult to deal with. I wouldn't know, never talked to him. More importantly, his stuff doesn't hold value for some reason. you can get a sneaky on ebay for like $250 right now.

DrOnePocket

Banned
I did not find his cues stiff at all.

Strange. Are you sure you played with a Woody? Never seen one that wasn't stiff unless someone altered the cue. He didn't offer multiple tapers last time I talked to him. I know some people that use his playing cues for break cues because they are so stiff

WardS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought one from him in 2000. I had two of his shafts, and I had him do two Pred 314 shafts. Cue played great, and was very nice cue. The only complaint was it was a little thick at the butt end.

I had zero problems dealing with him. As for the value I traded it for a new Schon and a Andy Gilbert brake cue.

Later

plhlolelnlilx

F.I.S.H.
Silver Member
He recently visited a local room and I had left a shaft for him to do some minor taper work to reduce some stiffness but only if he had the equipment with to do so. He basically cleaned up the shaft and didn't think I would notice that nothing had been changed. When he told me it was only $20 I made a comment about the shaft still being stiff but played stupid rather than asking him for a set of calipers. I think he's probably a nice enough guy (even with the not so subtle ego) but there are obviously better people to deal with who can deliver a higher quality product for the same or less money than he was asking for his cues. I can't comment on how his cues play but the ones he brought to display appeared to have average design and were finished well.

DoubleA

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think Woody offers any warranties with his cues, you bought it ,you own it.

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't think Woody offers any warranties with his cues, you bought it ,you own it.

I bought a 4 pointer from Woody in 2003 that had a real nice feel and balance. I ended up selling it to a friend who after a year or so mentioned it developed a warp (this is maybe 2+ years since I bought it). I called Woody to see if anything could be done and he suggested I send it to him - he replaced the handle and straightened out the warp and I don't think he charged me for it (maybe I paid the shipping but can't remember). So based on my experience he offered excellent customer service.

His cue as that time played very well and was used by Hillbilly Bryant.

I now have a titlist conversion that Woody made in 2004 that he did a really nice job on. I had a mishap in shipping and cracked the joint (my fault) so I made some modifications, but you can see the cue here: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=319897.

Dave

Dannydizzan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a plain cue from him that was my first non-production cue. I enjoyed it very much and thought it hit fine. The hit was stiff to me as well, most likely due to the taper. I didn't know about such things when I sold it and evidently, judging by others comments, I was lucky and got a close price to what I paid for it.

jaetee

rack master ;)
Silver Member
I own one of Woody's cues... It's beautiful, and plays stiff with almost tuning-fork like feedback. Woody is a really nice guy and was easy to deal with. IMHO, his cues are vastly underrated and offer great value for players. Based on what people are saying here the collector community hasn't really caught on that much. Yet.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The one I had was a 3/8 x 10 stainless steel pin, wood-wood joint.

It was like a noodle and if I wanted to use English on a long shot, I could close my eyes and spin around three times and have pretty much the same success rate as shooting normally.

Moved to Diveney an was playing notary better in a short time.