Lesser Quality Video Interest?

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm trying to gauge the actual interest in converting the VHS-C taped one-pocket match between Efren and Corey during a late hour session at the DCC. It was a race to 8, and I caught the last 7 or 8 games in full.

Would people actually buy this if it were in MPG format (MPEG-4 or something)? Would people rather it be converted to DVD? Or, since it's less quality than Accustats, would there be any interest at all?

Fred

Hal

Beer Player
Silver Member
Cornerman said:
I'm trying to gauge the actual interest in converting the VHS-C taped one-pocket match between Efren and Corey during a late hour session at the DCC. It was a race to 8, and I caught the last 7 or 8 games in full.

Would people actually buy this if it were in MPG format (MPEG-4 or something)? Would people rather it be converted to DVD? Or, since it's less quality than Accustats, would there be any interest at all?

Fred
Put it on DVD in MPEG-4 format. The quality will be above average. It's a few notches below DVD quality. You didn't digitally record it so you will not get DVD quality no matter what you do.

I have a video capture device (Tigerdirect.com about $15.00) that captures video in MPEG-4. The quality is not bad at all. I capture programs from DIRECTV to my PC. Then make a DVD.

StevenPWaldon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd buy it as long as the picture quality is somewhat decent. Give us a few screen captures if possible.

S.

Cornerman said:

Fred

Hal

Beer Player
Silver Member
I have some old Instructional DVDs that were transferred from VHS onto DVD. They are very watchable. MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 will be drastically better than those.

EDIT: To answer your question, I'd probably buy it.

Last edited:

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hal said:
I have a video capture device (Tigerdirect.com about $15.00) that captures video in MPEG-4. The quality is not bad at all. I capture programs from DIRECTV to my PC. Then make a DVD.
Dumb question alert: Will the format be playable on a DVD player?

So far, I've captured the video to my harddrive.

Hal

Beer Player
Silver Member
Cornerman said:

It will play on a large percentage of DVD players. There will always be some that won't play it. The software you use has a lot to do with it. I use Arcsoft, Nero, ULead, and others. As long as you give it the NTSC (I think that's what it's called) format, it should be OK.

iacas

Drill Sergeant
Silver Member
Cornerman said:

DVD players (i.e. those not hooked up to the computer) require video in the DVD standard. That's MPEG-2, yada yada. Any software that burns such a "video DVD" converts whatever movie format it has (such as DV, like in iMovie) to MPEG-2 for use on the DVD itself.

As a data DVD, computers should play a .mp4 file just fine. QuickTime understands it well enough, and it's a default format for video iPods, even.

But an MPEG-4 video on a DVD won't play in a regular old DVD player hooked up to a TV, no.