Table Installed Yesterday

iacas

Drill Sergeant
Silver Member
Well, the table listed in my signature was installed yesterday. Here's a picture of it: http://iacas.org/asm/room/28.jpg . I think it looks good. The room was built for it, and I've not yet finished varnishing the door (hence no door and the door hardware near the door hole on the floor), no decorations have been put up yet, etc.

The ceiling line looks bad, but you have plenty of room to play pool. You just can't stand behind someone while they're shooting. :)

I asked for "medium-tight' pockets and these seem to deliver:
http://iacas.org/asm/room/29.jpg
The balls have no space between them at the shelf's edge and only 1/8" at the "midway point" (in the picture above). Play seems to confirm that they're pretty tight. Not pro-level super-tight, but again, about a 6 on a 1-10 "tightness" scale.

I'll post more later. I didn't get to play much last night, so I'm going to go play some more now. The cloth is great (so fast! :D), the lighting worked out really well, etc. It's gonna be tough for me to actually finish the room (the door, the decorations, etc.) because every time I go in I'll want to be playing now!

P.S. I'd have included the pictures, but they're wide and I didn't want to unnecessarily stretch anyone's views. And yes, you can go anywhere from 01.jpg to 29.jpg (currently). More will be added as I finish things up.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
great looking table room, I love lights built into the slanted ceilings. Nice!

Barbara

Wilson deleted my avatar
Silver Member
Icon of Sin said:
great looking table room, I love lights built into the slanted ceilings. Nice!

Where did you see lights? I only saw a pic of the tight pockets.

Erik, good choice!!

Barbara

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Barbara said:
Where did you see lights? I only saw a pic of the tight pockets.

Erik, good choice!!

Barbara
there is another link to a pic early in his post.

iacas

Drill Sergeant
Silver Member
Mr. Wilson said:
I see you used the eyeballs. Do they cancel the shadows like I said?

Dave
Not really. :) Just kidding... there are still shadows, but they're better than having a standard overhead "pool" light. I get a pretty flower pattern (typically four petals) under each ball, and it's pretty faint. The table surface itself is pretty evenly lit, with the six slightly brighter spots from the lights.

P.S. You can't take my nuts. I'm usin' 'em.

thepavlos

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That's pretty cool, I just finished my attic and it looks similar, when it's done I'll post some pics
Paul

iacas

Drill Sergeant
Silver Member
BillYards said:
Funny, but that's almost exactly as I pictured Heaven would look....
I hope not to find out for a looooooong time. :)

Incidentally, the guys didn't use a machinist's level. They said they're too accurate and that you'd spent five hours levelling a table if you used one of those.

I slow rolled balls. The table rolls very true, so I'm content. I spent 30 minutes last night just hitting balls as slowly as possible into pockets to practice some speed things, and never noticed any funny business.

They levelled the frame and the slate separately.

The pockets http://iacas.org/asm/room/29.jpg are fairly tight BUT the sides are nearly parallel. So I'm not sure how tight they actually play. They're also slightly curved... what's up with that?

The table tennis top is HUGE and HEAVY. It may not see anywhere near the use we thought it might. Too much risk of damaging something (walls, rails, etc.). It's padded nicely, but just heavy and bulky. Storage is an issue (4.5' x 5' halves).

I need to finish staining the stupid door and stuff.

beetle

Do I bug you?
Silver Member
Looks good. I wish I had the foresight to install recessed lighting right over the table when I had the lower level finished. I think they would do a better job than the light I have. Your angled ceiling seems perfect for getting full illumination all around the table and under the rails. Good job!

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Great job ...

Considering what you started with, I think it is turning out very gpod. I also like the recessed lighting, and the table looks great. Has Homey feel with the Traditional Pool room touches. Do you have any ideas about decorating the walls, etc.?

I also think you should officially name the room, i.e., The Green Room or
The Mosconi Room or the The Reyes Railbird room, and put a plaque or
something by the door or something inside with the name ....

Last edited:

iacas

Drill Sergeant
Silver Member
beetle said:
Looks good. I wish I had the foresight to install recessed lighting right over the table when I had the lower level finished. I think they would do a better job than the light I have. Your angled ceiling seems perfect for getting full illumination all around the table and under the rails. Good job!

That's not why we did it (clearance for the table tennis top is the true reason), but I'm glad we did it in the end. It's a much better solution, I think. It's worked out really well. Thanks to Dave (Wilson) for helping me make the appropriate choices. He's a lighting guy, you know... :)

Snapshot9 said:
Considering what you started with, I think it is turning out very gpod. I also like the recessed lighting, and the table looks great. Has Homey feel with the Traditional Pool room touches. Do you have any ideas about decorating the walls, etc.?
I picked out the color paint I wanted, and when I got home, I noticed it was called "Billiard Room." So that was nifty. But yeah, it's come together nicely...

The knee-walls are pretty short. I don't know what we'll do to decorate them. The end walls will have stuff like cue racks, a dart board cabinet (perhaps), etc.

Snapshot9 said:
I also think you should officially name the room, i.e., The Green Room or The Mosconi Room or the The Reyes Railbird room, and put a plaque or something by the door or something inside with the name ....
Barzeski Billiards is the front-runner right now. :) Not sure what kind of sign I'll get, but something like that's probably in the works...

Perk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Totally awesome. I looked at every single picture, and was impressed.

Few years back, we lived in a house we were considering buying (family owned). Anyways, it had a garage, and my intention was to put a pool room up above, and actually started the process by preparing the Trusses to hold the ceiling. Looking at your pictures, I am so glad I didnt go further with the project. Alot of work!

You will get alot of time in on that, I dont think I would leave that room often. :)

NineBallNut

Silver Member
nice!

Very nice table. Going with the green was a good move. You mentioned you have a ping pong top, Be aware that using those can, not necessarily will knock the table out of level a little bit with a lot of use.

iacas

Drill Sergeant
Silver Member
NineBallNut said:
Very nice table. Going with the green was a good move. You mentioned you have a ping pong top, Be aware that using those can, not necessarily will knock the table out of level a little bit with a lot of use.
It's so big and bulky (and heavy) that I don't think it'll see much use. Heck, I might just find some way to put it in the basement or something. :p