Books

Porter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Give me some names of books that are about players.

Several are mentioned in the Keith McCready thread. I know many players, and wanna' be players, that would enjoy finding and reading some of these.

Please include as much info as possible, like the author, story line, what players or what areas of the country ..............

Where to get the book.

Porter

T

torment

a good book i read is called Playing Off the Rail............the author goes on the road with Tony Annigoni, a pro player from Ca..........he stakes Tony in money matches and tournaments all across the U.S. and into Canada a little.......i also read Bet High and Kiss Low by Grady Mathews.......Grady gives his views and experiences about being one of the best money players of all time......while i think Playing Off the Rail is the better read, Gradys tell it like it is style is more fascinating and i didnt put it down until i had read it in its entirity...................Playing Off the Rail you can get anywhere, such as Amazon or your local bookstore...........as far as i know, the only place you can get Bet High and Kiss Low is from www.poolbilliards.com, a site dedicated to Grady....a true living legend in our game, Grady will even give personalized replies to questions you may have on the message board.....Grady may be writing another book soon, i only hope this one is longer with more details about the way he matched up and a little less about his sexual experiences

preacher_eric

Registered
"Playing Off The Rail" is the best book about pool I've ever read. I read it cover-to-cover twice in the first week I owned it, and I've read it at least four more times since then. It's got interesting information about the players, some really funny stories, and lots of great detail about the gambling matches. Stop reading this and go buy it right now. After reading "Bet High and Kiss Low", I'll never look at Grady the same way. It's very entertaining, but I agree it gives more information than I'd like about his sexual conquests and not as much information as I'd like about his gambling experiences. I thought "McGoorty" was just okay, and I didn't like "Green Felt Jungle" at all.

carlton31698

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Playing off the Rail, The Color of Money (the book is different from the movie), Cornbread Red The greatest Money Player to Ever Play the Game (I think that title is right) are all good books

N

Nineball Tim

How about Buddy Halls book.I know its hard to find now but thats gotta be the best book ever about true hardcore gambling. Playing off the rail is a great book also and I liked the green felt jungle at least where he talks about pool, I could take it or leave it on his work and nonpool stuff but I guess you have to cover everything.Gradys book altho interesting at times wasnt long enough and covered his sexual life a little to deeply for me! The hustler and color of money are both good reading also.I am looking for Cornbreads book so if anyone could help me there Id appreciate it.Thanks

T

torment

Nineball Tim, could you please post the name of Buddy Halls book as i did not know he even had one out

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
It is called 'Rags to Rifleman' and it is very hard to find anymore. Keep your eyes on Ebay and it sometimes pops up over there.

Mike

Rickw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm pretty sure the author's name of "Playing Off The Rail" is David Mc Comber. I would also recommend this book because not only is the subject matter all about pool, it is also a very well written book which makes reading it a pleasure even for those that aren't into pool.